Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BigWaveSurfer

Something needs to be done about CV.....I mean SHARKS

20 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
944 posts
5,641 battles

Anyone see that footage of Mick Fanning today in the surf comp in Sth Africa. I don't pay much attention to what happens in the pro surfing world, but in the last 10 years the number of shark attacks have gone throw the roof. We use to hear of one every 2nd year or so now it seems more like ever 2nd month.

As a father who has been teaching his daughter to surf this year I am starting to have second thoughts about getting her in the water (even though I know I will never stop).

Be nice if someone would come up with a portable shark repellent (that works on Great Whites). Now that the number of Whites are up it's becoming a real problem. I not saying lets go hunt them, just be nice to not look so tasty to them.

link to shark attack on Mick Fanning.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/shark-attacks-australian-surfer-mick-fanning-during-live-competition-20150720-gifvux

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

A huge 45 people have died in Australia over the past 50 years, for an average of 0.9 deaths a year, in comparison with an average of 297 deaths via drowning each year, so no, I would not say that shark attacks are becoming an issue at all, after all, you are four times as likely to be killed by a ladder, than a shark.

Source/s

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,970 battles

SHARK ATTACK!

Is better at selling newspapers and getting viewers than...

Local man dies from a coconut dropping on his head.

Surfing is awesome, enjoy it.  Everything you enjoy can kill you.  You can reduce these risks by being vigilant and responsible.  But bad things are always a possibility.  

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
944 posts
5,641 battles

A huge 45 people have died in Australia over the past 50 years, for an average of 0.9 deaths a year, in comparison with an average of 297 deaths via drowning each year, so no, I would not say that shark attacks are becoming an issue at all, after all, you are four times as likely to be killed by a ladder, than a shark.

Source/s

and 40 of those in the last 10 years

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

iirc there's a rumor during WWII where a crew of a sunken USN indianapolis? were attack by sharks. not sure about how true is it though.

shark attack rarely happens, most victims are surfer on their surf board, maybe the shark though they are huge fish base on their silhouette when they are swimming with their boards.

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

and 40 of those in the last 10 years

So you then get an average of 4 people dying a year, which is still 293 deaths behind drowning per year, so exactly why are shark attacks an issue at all? Aside from...

SHARK ATTACK!

Is better at selling newspapers and getting viewers than...

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

iirc there's a rumor during WWII where a crew of a sunken USN indianapolis? were attack by sharks. not sure about how true is it though.

shark attack rarely happens, most victims are surfer on their surf board, maybe the shark though they are huge fish base on their silhouette when they are swimming with their boards.

Yes, it's true. Look up the survivors's story.By the time rescue arrived, most of the surviving crews were eaten.

43 posts
1,280 battles

there are companies in the states that are near release of a wet suit that camos you to the eyes of sharks. they tested in waters with bulls,whites and black tips. was like they were invisible to the sharks...

other companies i think from your part of the world had a sonic thing for repeling sharks designed for surfers.

if that camo stuff is released maybe trying to pain your boards the same color as the camo would be worth a shot. even if its not fool proof maybe it would give enough time to exit the water.

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

there are companies in the states that are near release of a wet suit that camos you to the eyes of sharks. they tested in waters with bulls,whites and black tips. was like they were invisible to the sharks...

other companies i think from your part of the world had a sonic thing for repeling sharks designed for surfers.

if that camo stuff is released maybe trying to pain your boards the same color as the camo would be worth a shot. even if its not fool proof maybe it would give enough time to exit the water.

You would think that about twenty million years of evolution has given marine mammals a level of camouflage against shark attack, but it has not so I would not be very optimistic about a camo suit working other than to make you look like prey.

Sharks don't generally rely solely on sight to find prey anyway. Water especially near the shore is pretty murky so sight is a secondary sense and they more rely on detecting chemical and electrical signals.  I had heard that a large proportion of people who have been attacked by sharks had urinated in their wet suit but this probably more reflects the number of people who do actually do this.

The sonic shark repellent was found to be pretty ineffective, though a former scuba diving buddy of mine swore by it. 

Best way to avoid shark attacks is to stay out of the water especially at dusk and dawn which tend to be shark feeding times. Unfortunately these are also the times when surfers find the best waves.

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
944 posts
5,641 battles

That "sonic thing" you mentioned I saw an interview with the guy that made it. he had a list of all the sharks it worked on, guess which "man in a dark suit" (shark) it didn't work on. only the great white. oh well back to the drawing board

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
944 posts
5,641 battles

Bloody hell...shark got someone in my home town, asking around social media to see if it's anyone I know since I only surf there a few weeks a year (now I'm living down near Sydney)

Sign in to follow this