You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

17 comments in this topic

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

Question.

How and where do you find patience to wait for BB's turret traverse and reload sequence?

And also the patience to calculate and estimate your shots knowing the (insert word here) shell dispersion at ranges?

I'm still ambivalent about restarting on the BB line.

Super Tester
802 posts

In most cases, it's better to turn the hull of your ship than wait for your turrets to turn. As for estimating shots, it's no different to learning where to manually drop torpedoes. 

There's no doubt that there's a lot of RNG when playing BBs. In short all I can say is play them, and get good. It sounds smug but it's true.

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

My ArkB is on the mothball list. The only thing that's stopping me from scrapping it is the "Beta" status of the ship.

If it's not a beta ship, off to the scrapyard!

How're the IJN BBs in OBT? Any different from in CBT? I only played up till FUSO-DAH before I sold them off for scrap in CBT. So BB play beyond that is alien to me.

And how do IJN BBs compare to USN BBs?

Edited by Makise_Kuristina

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Well they are the only ships that can bring in the unsinkable, fireproof, dreadnought and solo warrior medals reliably.

Didn't have the guts to go into the IJN tree this time round, but managed to get into the US line since it was in the way of the carriers. I'd say try them BBs, really fun when you can troll new CV players as a BB sometimes.

Edited by Halken_Sky

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Question.

How and where do you find patience to wait for BB's turret traverse and reload sequence?

And also the patience to calculate and estimate your shots knowing the (insert word here) shell dispersion at ranges?

For me, its a case of guestimation and patience at its finest, I just estimate the lead and pray to RNG gods that my shots land on target (I prefer full salvos or shotgun spreads for DD's or long range shots).

Hence I prefer BB's with lots of guns (e.g Wyoming, Fuso and my favourite... NEW MEXICO) as they have a higher chance of scoring hits.

But overall, its just their different playstyle that I enjoy, hence I keep ships of all classes, USN and IJN.

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

While waiting to reload just pre-aim and/or look at your surroundings, the 30s goes faster than you'd think.

Battleship inaccuracy is exaggerated, you can't hit consistently at max ranges like cruisers, but you can and will still get hits, just lead your targets like you normally would (you should get a feel for the shell velocity of whatever ship you using after a while) and you'll be fine, you won't get many hits at longer ranges, but battleships aren't particularly effective at those ranges anyway, so it doesn't really matter much.

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

While waiting to reload just pre-aim and/or look at your surroundings, the 30s goes faster than you'd think.

Battleship inaccuracy is exaggerated, you can't hit consistently at max ranges like cruisers, but you can and will still get hits, just lead your targets like you normally would (you should get a feel for the shell velocity of whatever ship you using after a while) and you'll be fine, you won't get many hits at longer ranges, but battleships aren't particularly effective at those ranges anyway, so it doesn't really matter much.

BB inaccuracy is not exaggerated.  WG made them inaccurate in Alpha and right now they are "working as intended".  And long range fire works to one of the BBs strengths, which is the plunging AP shell.  The closer you get the more you'll either bounce off the hull armour or ricochet off the deck.

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

But BB shells do fly slower than CA shells right?

This depends on which ship you are referring to most US BBs have a decent shell travel time, and (feel free to correct this)--> IJN BBs have their shell travel speed boosted since cbt, it feels way faster now compared to back then.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

At this point, I've probably got around nearly 500 games in battleships under my belt. It was hard starting out, but right now, up to 15km, I can always usually guarantee a hit on a broadside target. There's no technique to it for me, its almost purely second nature to glance at the target's funnel smoke to vaguely determine the speed, factor in the class of the target (Cruiser/USN BB/IJN BB), then aim at a waterline and fire. 

If the target doesn't radically turn, I'm always guaranteed at least a penetrating hit, no matter which ship I'm playing. I don't use any crosshair mods. Don't have any mods beyond KanColle comsumables. Nothing fancy. But every salvo I throw out, I'm usually guaranteed at least one penetrating hit. I usually get around 20-40 hits in any battle. Sometimes as low as 12-15.

The thing about battleships is that you're not going to get many hit ribbons. With your two salvoes a minute, every other gun in the game will fire faster than you. Cruiser can rack up 50-100 hits, and St Louis can easily break 100. But their damage per shell? Nowhere near as close as yours. I frequently hit for about an average damage of 10k per shell. And that is such a satisfying number to see, to know that I can shoot so much less than other players and deal that much more damage. And I'm frequently always in the top 3 of exp on my team, no matter what map or what enemies I'm facing, because of that.

People complain about carriers and clicking. Hell, you've probably seen me complaining about carriers and clicking myself in CBT. But having played carriers for awhile, I've realized there's a similar skill when it comes to target prediction and leading that skilled carrier captains possess, the same skill that I apply in lateral fire as they do in top down observation. The catch? I do it every 30 seconds, maybe 45, while they take minutes to set up that perfect strike.

People like to complain about battleship dispersion. I think of it as the game physically checking me from being too powerful and wrecking every other ship in a single salvo. After all, one good salvo is all you need to put a ship out of commission. Any cruiser who takes a massive hit before they have time to react is going to frantically turn and slew out of formation. If RNG's smiling on you? They're staring angrily at their sinking ship. Even with the dispersion values put in, you're still highly capable of doing unto others. I wrecked a Kawachi from 6km in my Arkansas, 2 citadels. In another game, I faced two Wyomings and two South Carolinas alone in my Arkansas. Wrecked a South Carolina from 11km, 29k damage (6 hits, 2 citadels). The other suffered an airstrike, survived with 9k health, walked straight into my next broadside. Killed. Subsequently attacked by a Tenryuu at 6km, and then the Kuma right behind him at 4, coming in for obvious torpedo runs. Turned vaguely away so they're in a stern chase and have to overtake to torpedo me. Two salvoes, two kills.

Battleship play has a bit of a high skill floor. No denying that. But once you get up to that skill floor, the potential for mayhem is incredible, and that has not changed the slightest since CBT.

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,972 battles

But BB shells do fly slower than CA shells right?

Depends on the ship.  BB's tend to have a higher arc, but some CA's firing shells in a high arc (Cleveland).

If you know how and where to aim, you can one volley a Cruiser and insta-kill it.  Waterline, under the smoke stacks.  :)

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

BB inaccuracy is not exaggerated.  WG made them inaccurate in Alpha and right now they are "working as intended".  And long range fire works to one of the BBs strengths, which is the plunging AP shell.  The closer you get the more you'll either bounce off the hull armour or ricochet off the deck.

If you honestly think shooting at targets at longer ranges due to plunging fire is a better idea than getting up close then no wonder you complain about accuracy so much. Stop sniping and your problems will disappear.

And yes, it really is, "zomg bb can't hit anything at 5km" is a relatively common post, yet totally incorrect, even if it is based on the premise that battleships are inaccurate, which they are, hence battleship inaccuracy is indeed exaggerated.

Mind you, if battleships were made any more accurate they would be far too powerful, that is the cost you pay in exchange for the alpha damage they get.

1,230 posts
2,389 battles

Question.

Cuz it worth it, I can get fireproof, Dev Strike, Confederate easily, I don't have to do a BANZAI charge.

And I always turn guns in advance..

How I calculate?

IDK, experience

Beta Tester
773 posts
796 battles

If you honestly think shooting at targets at longer ranges due to plunging fire is a better idea than getting up close then no wonder you complain about accuracy so much. Stop sniping and your problems will disappear.

And yes, it really is, "zomg bb can't hit anything at 5km" is a relatively common post, yet totally incorrect, even if it is based on the premise that battleships are inaccurate, which they are, hence battleship inaccuracy is indeed exaggerated.

Mind you, if battleships were made any more accurate they would be far too powerful, that is the cost you pay in exchange for the alpha damage they get.

The "zomg bb can't hit anything at 5km" posts are not incorrect and BB's inaccuracy is not exaggerated.  BBs are inaccurate because WG made them inaccurate in Alpha.  The problem is that since BB's dispersion is not proportional to distance their accuracy is unaffected whether they're 20km away or 10km (0.4.0 supposedly improved their accuracy under 5km but to date I don't think anyone can tell the difference).  The problem with shooting at longer ranges is that small errors in judging the enemy's course are magnified and the enemy has more time to evade your shells, but the BB's accuracy is in fact unchanged.  You're just as likely to see a salvo straddle your target at 6km as 16km, it's all down to RNGesus and it's utterly infuriating to see every shell straddle from relatively close range in an otherwise perfectly aimed salvo.

Furthermore, I stand by my comment that the plunging AP shell is one of the BB's strengths.  The few times I've evaporated an enemy BB it's always been a plunging salvo from range.