Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

the Number 13 class battleship

5 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

to be fair, I never actually found sufficient stuff about this Japanese paper ship but its still something to note. I really wish to have an audible with daigensui at the NA forums but I'm lazy to go there because I LIEK SHEEPS

bbgd1.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, the Number 13 class.

in all honesty, I'm kinda amused at our Japanese brethren's previous generations as hardcore ship nuts but when they plan or build something, its just rather wonky. and to think this was the Yamato class predecessor even if it was paper.

THIS, however, was one of their fast battleship designs. now the only fast battleships at the time of 1929 onward were the then-battlecruisers the Kongo class that had their retrofit and reformatting pending since the Amagi battlecruiser sisters... accidented themselves due to the powerful Kanto quake (to those who sorta don't know, the CV Amagi of the Unryuu class is the second ship to bear that name during the 1900's to 1945. the first Amagi who was the lead ship of her battlecruiser class that was coincidentally being reformatted as a CV was lost during the said quake that whacked her hull so hard she was scrapped. her sister ship, Akagi, was fortunate enough to not be that whacked and was retrofitted and reformatted as a carrier which went boom and sank during Midway. Amagi had a projected retrofit to turn her into a fast battleship herself) that rocked Japan in the 1920's and totaled the living crap out of her cities, including the naval shipyards. even as projected on paper, she would probably be the first fast battleship they had that was built keel up as a fast battleship. 

2m47hip.jpg

its a bit strange for the No. 13 to be a fast battleship since normally, ship types such as this, even fast ones, should be protected against other battleship grade guns but in her case, her armor protects her with 13 inches of belt and 5 inches on the deck. its not helping a bit for hopefuls that would expect that she would have good knots for her projected speed was at 30 knots max (and more interestingly enough, the fastest capital ship they could have chucked in at 30 knots was Kongo) and her AA guns were all pop shooters (see terminology thread sticky'd in general discussion) with eight 12 cm guns without any initial plans to put rapid firing AA guns within. her secondary batteries gave her sixteen 14 inch but the most eye catching thing in her projected plan was the notion of her packing 18 inch guns in four dual mount turrets which should make her the first warship in the IJN to practically pack 18 inch guns (well, contrary to the norm, two ships packed 18 inch guns before Yamato did, one was the General Wolfe that was modded to pack an 18 inch gun and the other was the modded battlecruiser HMS Furious before again, went full CV. normally the Brits would use 18 inch guns as rail guns and not floating artillery... but if its crazy but works, it aint crazy right? if in terms of bore alone, Yamato technically has the biggest 18 inch guns ever).

I actually have no idea if they had design studies for this thing even if it was paper. if the US had design studies for the Lexington battlecruiser, the North Carolina, South Dakota and Montana which was still on paper yet reached crazy levels of design study like he BB-65-2 (no, not the Iowa USS Illinois, a different one) but one thing I'm most certainly wishing for it to have upgrades is that it would have a more impressive AA suite. pop shooters alone won't fully save it and give strike aircraft problems.

treeing the crap out of this, at 8-9-10 would start from Nagato, Tosa at tier 8, Kii at tier 9 and No. 13 at tier 10. not really sure if speculating the Kii would be a viable choice as the thing was basically a souped up and faster Tosa. well that and Amagi's layout is a 'nerfed' Tosa with speed. for fun though, a second lineup would be Tosa at tier 8, No. 13 at tier 9 and A-150 at tier 10 because putting the Super Yamato/A-150 would be glorious and each citadel hit would smash HP worth of 18k max per shell. one thing 

that is all.

Edited by EvyL

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Nice to read, and given time, WG may well more ships to existing tech trees, though I think they will probably focus on getting different nations tech trees out first.

My guess is that Royal Navy, Kreigsmarine and the Russian Navy will be the next 3, which order I don't know, but only the Royal Navy can have fully complete tech tree with real ships in all 4 classes.

Edited by Blitzkreig95

2 posts
162 battles

The Soviets were building a battleship with 20 inch shells fired from 520mm rifles. The ship's hull was being constructed about the time the nukes were dropped. It was specifically meant to take on the Japanese monsters, of which a third ship of the Yamato class was undergoing sea trials at the time. 

Edited by ShayolGhul323

Super Tester
1,677 posts

The Soviets were building a battleship with 20 inch shells fired from 520mm rifles. The ship's hull was being constructed about the time the nukes were dropped. It was specifically meant to take on the Japanese monsters, of which a third ship of the Yamato class was undergoing sea trials at the time. 

Interesting, got any info for that project battleship?

Sign in to follow this