You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
41 posts
387 battles

Wow, I really am on the roll today.

Throwing this out for discussion....as far as I know this hasn't been a much discussed topic--do point me in the right direction, if I'm wrong, of course!

Is it better to fire a full broadside in Battleships, or single salvoes?

In my experience (limited), a full broadside seems to have a tighter 'group'.

But someone did point out (somewhere else on the forum) that firing a preliminary salvo to test the aim is something to do too.

Which option is best, in your opinion? Or is the recommendation different for different ships?

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Recommendation? If you're not confident of your lead or aim, fire one turret first, and then fire the rest in a single salvo. If you are more skilled or confident, then fire everything in a full broadside. AFAIK, dispersion for each individual turret is the same regardless of whether they are fired turret-by-turret, or all turrets firing simultaneously, but the shotgun-like spread of a full broadside makes it a bit easier to hit for crippling damage. This is particularly important against other battleships, you want to be doing as much possible in a single hit so as to prevent them from regenerating the damage with repair work, or for blowing cruisers out of the water before they can start evading and making hitting them difficult. 

Personally, I only ever fire full broadsides, but that's because I've had way too much practice with battleship guns.

Beta Tester
41 posts
387 battles

Haha fair enough. Sometimes I get the correct lead first time around (at least with the lower tiers :D) so the broadside might be good.

Any other opinions?

Edited by CromwellCruiser

Beta Tester
35 posts
1,224 battles

Haha fair enough. Sometimes I get the correct lead first time around (at least with the lower tiers :D) so the broadside might be good.

Any other opinions?

It's probably better to fire them one by one in a rolling barrage that corrects for any dodging they do.  Unless you need to dodge torpedoes at the same time and don't got time for that.

Many times i fire broadside and the target turns to a different distance at the very exact moment.  too spooky.

*Honestly though, there is only so much that good aim can compensate for bad rng.  So much that the bad rng can make bad aim randomly hit people for citadels.

Edited by elodea

Beta Tester
41 posts
387 battles

It's probably better to fire them one by one in a rolling barrage that corrects for any dodging they do.  Unless you need to dodge torpedoes at the same time and don't got time for that.

Many times i fire broadside and the target turns to a different distance at the very exact moment.  too spooky.

*Honestly though, there is only so much that good aim can compensate for bad rng.  So much that the bad rng can make bad aim randomly hit people for citadels.

Hmm fair enough. Perhaps they can see the muzzle flash though. Thanks!

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,281 posts

I find full broadsides effective depending on the ship you are using.

The Warspite has good accuracy at range and the dispersion is also pretty good. 

As long as you can effectively lead your target, you can expect at least 5 damaging hits in a full broadside.

Beta Tester
41 posts
387 battles

Thanks for the opinion--I used to find broadsides effective, but with Syanda's arguments I tried the test shots and it worked pretty well as well--so I don't know :D

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

I don't know if I am right to say this since my experience only comes from using CA but firing 1 turret at a time really helps in correcting in the shot. Full broadside, shoot and pray that your target stays on course and that your estimation is right.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

As a general rule the only ships that you should fire the guns in sequence are ships like the Cleveland, nothing annoys people more than making it rain, in bb you tend to be better off shooting an entire salvo as you only get maybe 10 shells to play with every 30 seconds and more flying toward the enemy at once means more chance of hitting them.

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

with battleship, I prefer full broadside,

for me,BB shooting are like shotgun,  it feel like you shoot a single 8-12 lead ball on target are more percent to hit then 4-5 shot of 2 lead balls

but if i'm on the cruiser then it another story ...  I prefer to hold down the mouse on cruiser it feel like i'm spraying the MG on target, It just my preference but i found it more fun lol