You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fragkat

Having just started using my Carrier questions

27 comments in this topic

112 posts
1,613 battles

I was wondering, what is the hate towards people who use Carrier?. I spend my whole time staring at your ships, trying to keep their torpedoes off you :)... yet if a Destroyer finds me, everyone goes other way saying "good now Ic an get some points"... seriously ??

LOL I made 200 points last match. One before that, 0 as I died in first 10 mins when I was not protected.   Dont tell me to "learn top play" either, this is not a difficult concept. I love playing CV, an hate playing the others. I dont see any need to take crap for enjoying my playstile over your hehe.

Protect your Carriers, an we can protect you

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

One of my primary complaints about carrier players is how people play them like SPGs in World of Tanks: They park in a corner/on the border, then start screaming when enemy ships break through to the rear areas. This is pretty terrible play - apart from the fact that it takes that much longer for planes to attack, return and rearm, it puts the carrier out of effective reach for any ship that can assist it. Worse, I think, are the carriers who do the corner thing, and insist on other ships to babysit them throughout the game. Other ships on the team have roles beyond babysitting the carrier in the corner. They've got their own threats to deal with, and their own weapons to put into play. By keeping them there for local defense, the carrier deprives their team of a mobile unit that could be useful elswhere. 

What a carrier captain can do is make it easier for the team to support them, and to support the team. This means knowing your concealment radius and following right with the main fleet train - that not only allows you to launch attack cycles a lot quicker, but makes it easier for the team to defend you from close-in destroyer attacks or airstrikes from the enemy carrier. Yeah, sure, early tier carriers aren't all that fast, but they've still got sufficient mobility to move around the map and make finding them difficult for the other team and makes survival a lot easier.

112 posts
1,613 battles

Ahh ok, thanks mate that is actually r3eally good advice. I am one of "those" people. I find a hill an hide behind it. I will try your idea now, an see how it works. cheers.

But if you see little old me. PLEASE put ya armor between me an a torp :).

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Did you move with your team? or stay at the back and just send out flights?

If yopu do not move your CV forward, I can guarantee you that I will not be staying back just to give you support. Get in the fight

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Just something to note though: People HATE Carriers, so be sure to anticipate enemy movements and get out of the engagement zone when you see the threat coming. Once you are lit up, EVERYBODY will try to kill you, even bots :hiding:

It's easier to do with Japanese Carriers. But US Carriers, particularly low tier ones, have trouble due to their horrible speed.

112 posts
1,613 battles

Yes I have noticed. I have watched every enemy blip suddenly change direction towards me when I get seen... it's like a bloody hive mind LOL

1,230 posts
2,378 battles

Dear Dear, in OBT, I have solo demonstrate the Carrier's weakness a lot of times, 

Gone solo pass noob defenses then torp the CV, 

Killed 2 CVs in each time I was doing that, All in cruiser

So, it doesn't have to be a dd.

And if anyone has ever been in a match with me, I'll always say, scout the map first, then attack, if possible, get da enemy CV

Edited by Conkhead_12

112 posts
1,613 battles

Yes but I"ve been playing all of 3 day slol I haven't even played WoT in 4 months

What I usually do, is send fighters up middle just behind a hilltop (not sure if it helps yet or not to "hide" them. ??

I send bombers up left an torps up right

Edited by Fragkat

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Once you get to tier 6in US CV's get better. While the Independence doesn't have any secondaries/ anti ship defence guns, it can at least outrun them  (cruisers and BB's) is more manoeuvrable and has good AA. At higher tiers, USN CV's have superior self defence (in terms of secondaries and AA) and armor  to offset their lack of squadrons.

IJN CV's are usually faster and have better concealment, and more aircraft to play with, try them out and see which you like best. They have OK self defence, but somewhat lacking especially in AA.

112 posts
1,613 battles

My big trouble at moment, is how the hell do I switch to surface mode. So I can shoot back lol.... I am stuck in overhead all time, between tac map an normal.Or does my  intro Carrier not have any surface guns.

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Once you get to tier 6in US CV's get better. While the Independence doesn't have any secondaries/ anti ship defence guns, it can at least outrun them  (cruisers and BB's) is more manoeuvrable and has good AA. At higher tiers, USN CV's have superior self defence (in terms of secondaries and AA) and armor  to offset their lack of squadrons.

IJN CV's are usually faster and have better concealment, and more aircraft to play with, try them out and see which you like best. They have OK self defence, but somewhat lacking especially in AA.

Just to help update alittle to not confuse the new players, at higher tiers IJN carriers are the ones with better armor and secondary guns while US carriers are the ones with better AA defence.

112 posts
1,613 battles

Well USA an germany did pioneer real AA on shipping.  British were good at it, But give USA their due. When it comes to War, they are/were experts on the catchup.

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

I was wondering, what is the hate towards people who use Carrier?. I spend my whole time staring at your ships, trying to keep their torpedoes off you :)... yet if a Destroyer finds me, everyone goes other way saying "good now Ic an get some points"... seriously ??

LOL I made 200 points last match. One before that, 0 as I died in first 10 mins when I was not protected.   Dont tell me to "learn top play" either, this is not a difficult concept. I love playing CV, an hate playing the others. I dont see any need to take crap for enjoying my playstile over your hehe.

Protect your Carriers, an we can protect you

when cv player learn how to play and help there team , then i will protect them 

112 posts
1,613 battles

I'll give up my hull and citadel for a CV that is worth dying for! :D

Coff it up then lol. I NEVER let bombers get near Any BB under my range :D.... I would "hope" to expect the same lol

Beta Tester
41 posts
387 battles

Something I noticed for carriers in my remarkably short time as a WoWS player--if you see that your team has mopped up an area--say the area around the cornermost cap (like 'A' or 'C' in most maps), you might want to go there, as you place more of your team between you and potential enemy destroyers.

I had a CV in the back one time, and no-one went back to help him because the destroyer was too close for anyone to speed back, and we still had battleships to deal with.

Just my 2c.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Use CV and DD to kill BB they said

They are effective they said

Then why they keep nerf it to the ground?!

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

One of my primary complaints about carrier players is how people play them like SPGs in World of Tanks: They park in a corner/on the border, then start screaming when enemy ships break through to the rear areas. This is pretty terrible play - apart from the fact that it takes that much longer for planes to attack, return and rearm, it puts the carrier out of effective reach for any ship that can assist it. Worse, I think, are the carriers who do the corner thing, and insist on other ships to babysit them throughout the game. Other ships on the team have roles beyond babysitting the carrier in the corner. They've got their own threats to deal with, and their own weapons to put into play. By keeping them there for local defense, the carrier deprives their team of a mobile unit that could be useful elswhere. 

What a carrier captain can do is make it easier for the team to support them, and to support the team. This means knowing your concealment radius and following right with the main fleet train - that not only allows you to launch attack cycles a lot quicker, but makes it easier for the team to defend you from close-in destroyer attacks or airstrikes from the enemy carrier. Yeah, sure, early tier carriers aren't all that fast, but they've still got sufficient mobility to move around the map and make finding them difficult for the other team and makes survival a lot easier.

there is a reason why some CV carrier border hug and corner hug. it is specially effective against USN CV like me b/c you can't properly manual drop your torp near the borders, go to the corner and you even get more protection. this is quite useless to IJN CV though b/c their auto drop is very reliable and similar to their manual drop.

that is the main reason of CVs going to corners and borders. they also do it to buy some time running away from enemy bombers and putting their bet on their bombers to kill the enemy before they die. Also, CV players might be very busy micro managing all their plane groups they forgot their engine is at full throttle and ended up on corners, 20 km+ away from nearest ally. (<i am guilty of this sometimes, specially if 2vs1 CV games)

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Use CV and DD to kill BB they said

They are effective they said

Then why they keep nerf it to the ground?!

At low tier, yes they are devastating. The Zuiho and Minekaze are absolute seal clubbers.

Higher tiers, dunno. I feel that lower tiers balance is a bit broken.

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

there is a reason why some CV carrier border hug and corner hug. it is specially effective against USN CV like me b/c you can't properly manual drop your torp near the borders, go to the corner and you even get more protection. this is quite useless to IJN CV though b/c their auto drop is very reliable and similar to their manual drop.

that is the main reason of CVs going to corners and borders. they also do it to buy some time running away from enemy bombers and putting their bet on their bombers to kill the enemy before they die. Also, CV players might be very busy micro managing all their plane groups they forgot their engine is at full throttle and ended up on corners, 20 km+ away from nearest ally. (<i am guilty of this sometimes, specially if 2vs1 CV games)

Encouraging border hugging to new players is not a good move, everyone in the ST team, the moderators and even some of the beta testers discourages border hugging.