You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tinybear

Atlanta ship

31 comments in this topic

7 posts
4,126 battles

I brought a Atlanta ship and to be honest if I could I will get my money back I would, this ship is totally crap nice looking but crap I use my St louis and always kill ships but with this Atlanta I don't do anything, luck if I can hit someone for a premium ship I spec to have a good ship instead a got a rust bucket ty.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

I brought a Atlanta ship and to be honest if I could I will get my money back I would, this ship is totally crap nice looking but crap I use my St louis and always kill ships but with this Atlanta I don't do anything, luck if I can hit someone for a premium ship I spec to have a good ship instead a got a rust bucket ty.

take the matter up with support, the forum is not the placve to ask.

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Looking at your profile, I'd recommend getting tier 7 premium ships AFTER you get your first tier 7 standard ship.

You're obviously not accustomed to high tier playstyles, having only reached tier 4 and only playing five battles within that tier.

The Atlanta is a great ship if played properly, I've played it earlier during the tests. I'm waiting for the inevitable discounts before I get it in OBT.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Try staying close to high value targets that an enemy CV is after & use your air defence ability. This is a good way to break you into learning how to drive it. I had it in CBT as well. She's a good ship - unless you are trying to fight it like a BB. Doing that & you'll die quickly for little return.

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

dont blame the game because you went out and bought a high tier ship before learning how to play , just quit , the less noobs the better 
Edited by kongman

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Should've get the Atago mate. Still not a Newbie-Friendly ship but definitely better than the Atlanta.

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

Should've get the Atago mate. Still not a Newbie-Friendly ship but definitely better than the Atalanta.

should play a few game then maybe buy a gold ship

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Get in a div with a BB.

You provide extra AA and the Atlanta is great for terrorising DDs. Both those are a BBs greatest threats, so it's a good combination.

And, yes, much like those who buy tier 8 premium tanks in WoT and fail hard because their highest tier otherwise is 4 or 5, playing a handful of games up to tier 4 isn't going to prepare you for tiers 7-9 in this game.

Edited by Steeltrap

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

You should have gotten Sims instead, it was on sale on CBT and boy it's awesome. :honoring:

Buying Sims and being put in high tier matches where everyone and their mums know each ships strength and weaknesses. And in a destroyer class, with puny HP, puny gun damage. It's still similar to purchasing Atlanta and thought it's a souped up St. Louis.

Get in a div with a BB.

You provide extra AA and the Atlanta is great for terrorising DDs. Both those are a BBs greatest threats, so it's a good combination.

And, yes, much like those who buy tier 8 premium tanks in WoT and fail hard because their highest tier otherwise is 4 or 5, playing a handful of games up to tier 4 isn't going to prepare you for tiers 7-9 in this game.

What Steeltrap said. Atlanta is a great ship for AA cover and destroying DD. You need to be smart on reading the map, since Atlanta can also be used to terrorise SOME ships.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

as i've told people before, Atlanta looks easy to use when you first look at it, but it is one of the most challenging ships to handle. It has good RoF, but sniping is difficult with its low muzzle velocity and low range coupled with destroyer-grade armor. it is played very differently from other CA, tip: "use roads less traveled", specialize in hunting DDs and getting less attention as much as possible, then spam at BBs.

What Steeltrap said. Atlanta is a great ship for AA cover and destroying DD. You need to be smart on reading the map, since Atlanta can also be used to terrorise SOME ships.

i found atlanta's AA similar to myoko. really nothing stellar at that area.

Edited by Deicide

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

True but much of it has the 5km range base so it's good for being an annoyance.

RG and I were in a div sometimes while I was suffering the Colorado in CB. Worked pretty well as a group for the reasons I mentioned.

But a genuine newb (I don't mean noob) will struggle regardless I suspect.

Beta Tester
486 posts
7,921 battles

Great Ship - love it, sure it has short range and if you don't keep an eye out at times you will get crushed, BUT the high rate of fire, relevant stealth to 11km does allow you to sneak up on the maps with Islands and deal devastating strikes. 

Use concealment and hang with some of the bigger cruisers as most enemy players become fixed on them and tend to ignore you at times, and use the cover to hide and pop out, fire and get back in.

It does depend on your team mates at times but I can regulary get 120 - 150 plus hits average in a game with it, even the odd torpedo kill !!! , and yes sometimes I fail badly.

Don't give up on it, just adapt your game style 

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

Atlanta shines with the proper Captain skill. (20% to range)

yup , plus the upgrade to turrets that helps them not get destroyed

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

You'll be lucky to get a refund, considering how many reviews and guides there are, you should have done your research before making a rather expensive purchase.

Also purchasing a tier 7  premium ship before you get a tier 7 standard is never a good idea...

My suggestion, keep the ship parked in dock and try grind and practice your skills before trying it out again.

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

True but much of it has the 5km range base so it's good for being an annoyance.

RG and I were in a div sometimes while I was suffering the Colorado in CB. Worked pretty well as a group for the reasons I mentioned.

But a genuine newb (I don't mean noob) will struggle regardless I suspect.

Yeah i don't know why those torp bombers and DD kept coming at you instead of me. :trollface: :trollface: :trollface:

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

i found atlanta's AA similar to myoko. really nothing stellar at that area.

Actually no. With the way AA Barrage mechanics works, no other Cruiser (except Des Moines and Baltimore) can be as devastating against enemy aircraft as the Atlanta.

Raw DPS-wise, it's not too spectacular, but what AA Barrage does (beside reducing bomber accuracy) is increasing long-range AA guns (usually those 100-127mm DP guns) DPS by 6 times. Also, when you select target as priority, it increases further by 1.5 times (stack with the previous modifier too) Considering the number of DP guns the Atlanta has, and the natural long-range and upgrades, it's very scary.

If we take into account long-range AA alone, here's what it looks like when a ship has all possible AA upgrades and captain skills activates AA Barrage:

- Mogami: 4x2 127mm = 24DPS. AA DPS Bonus= 110%.

AA Barrage on = 24 * 1.1 * 6 = 158.4 DPS.

AA Barrage on priority target: 158.4 * 1.5 = 237.6 DPS.

- Myoko: 4x2 127mm = 18 DPS (different gun from Mogami). AA DPS Bonus = 110%.

AA Barrage on = 18 * 1.1 * 6 = 118.8 DPS.

AA Barrage on priority target: 118.8 * 1.5 = 178.2 DPS.

- Cleveland: 6x 5-inch twin = 36 DPS. AA DPS Bonus = 110%.

AA Barrage on = 36 * 1.1 * 6 = 237.6 DPS.

AA Barrage on priority target: 237.6 * 1.5 = 356.4 DPS.

- Baltimore: 6x 5-inch twin = 36 DPS. AA DPS Bonus = 132% (due to tier9-10 ship AA upgrade module).

AA Barrage on = 36 * 1.32 * 6 = 285.12 DPS.

AA Barrage on priority target: 285.12 * 1.5 = 427.68 DPS.

- Atlanta: 8x 5-inch twin = 48 DPS. AA DPS Bonus = 110%.

AA Barrage on = 48 * 1.1 * 6 = 316.8 DPS.

AA Barrage on priority target: 316.8 * 1.5 = 475.2 DPS.

See what I mean? Btw, those are long-range guns DPS only, and all of them can upgrade to 7.2km range. Atalnta's other short-range AA guns have 2km range of 88 DPS total, with all upgrades it's 2.9km with roughly 97 DPS. Adds that to the formula above if enemy planes get that close to you.

Imagine what it's like Fighting against an Atlanta with 7.2km AA range with 475.2 DPS. Ofcourse AA Barrage could last for a moment, but if the Atlanta captain plays his card right, he can decimate your squadrons in short time.

Source of AA mechanics (confirmed by WG devs):

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/13878-basics-aa-mechanics/

You need to login to your EU account to view it though.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Is that from Sharana's guides? It's a shame they require a login to view, they're excellent.

Yup that's the guy.

And for those who are too lazy to bother creating an EU account, here it is:

Greetings Captains,

we all know there are AA guns on our ships and they even shoot down planes sometimes, but how are they working? Sometimes we see lots of AA fire, but we can't shoot down any planes and we think that the AA is bugged or not really working. That's not the case of course and I hope you will understand how is the AA working ingame after reading this :)

First of all the AAA (Anti-Aircraft Artillery) is not working like the main or secondary guns on our ships! Simulating all individual machine guns on the ship will just overload the server without any significant gain for the gameplay. That's why the AAA is represented as "aura" around the ship which will affect the planes inside it. There are different AA guns on our ships and they are split into up to 3 categories considering their range (long-, mid- and closerange guns). That means our ships can have up to 3 auras around them and they are overlapping, so when the planes get closer to the ship more auras will affect them.

Let's take a look at the USN cruiser tier IX Baltimore in top configuration:

zson04.png

We can clearly see the 3 auras around the Baltimore:

• long-range -> 0 - 5km with avg dps of 36. Note: The 127 dual purpose guns can fire at enemy ships, but they are still counted to the long range aura all the time.
  • mid-range -> 0 - 3.5km with avg dps of 216.
  • close-range -> 0 - 2.1km with avg dps of 115.

Now the same Baltimore with all 3 auras and the dps based on the distance as the auras overlap:

2lbhv8y.jpg

We know the range and the avarage damage per second, but if we want to become the enemy CV's nightmare we can enhance our AA aura even more.

There are two possibilities - range and dps. For both range and dps we have 1 captain's perk and one upgrade for the ship.

Range: (upgrades slot 2 and tier 4 captain's perk)          Dps: (upgrades slot 3 and tier 1 captain's perk)

10hsq3c.png             23s6o7m.png

They all multiply, so if the max firing range is 5km we will get 5*1.2*1.2=7.2km. Same goes for the avg dps values (*1.2*1.1). Now let's take a look again at the same Baltimore, but with all possible perks and upgrades:

16ibh1t.jpg

As you can see the AA power can be vastly increased if the player is specialized in this direction. And that's only the ship's "base" AA power, it can be further increased during the battle if you:

1) Focus on specific squadron by holding "Ctrl" and left-cliking on the desired squadron. This will make all auras (if the squadrons is in range) shoot only at this selected squadron and the damage to that squadron will be increased 1.5 times!

Note: Each aura can attack only 1 squadron at a time and this will be the most dangerous one. Example: There are fighters, TBs flying towards the ship and TBs flying away from the ship - the AA auras will attack the TBs flying towards the ship unless another squadron is focused by the player.

2) Some cruisers with 2+ DP guns have active ability (AA barrage) which they activate with "Y". During the duration of this ability the long range aura will get it's avarage dps increased 6 times and the planes inside this long range aura will enter "panic mode" (even if they are not attacked), which will decrease their accuracy.

3) 1 and 2 can be combined so the avarage dps inside the long range aura will be increased 9 times.

This maximal AA power will look like this for the focused squadron and with activated AA barrage on the fully AA specialized Baltimore:

2q2qwk2.jpg

Note: It's also important to say that those auras can overlap with other ships too. They still act independently however, every ships fights "his own war" with the squadrons, the damage is not summed.

Now let's imagine the Baltimore is attacked from Essex's Douglas AD1 TBs. To make it worse for the Baltimore we will say that the captain got amnesia, the player can't afford AA upgrades, the AA barrage is on cooldown and the "Ctrl" key on the keyboard is broken. It will look like on the first picture:

2mg8i9s.jpg

This squadron is composed of 6 planes and every plane has 1960 hp. It is ~3km away from the ship and is taking avarage 252 damage per second. In theory it should take ~47 seconds to kill the entire squadron or 1 plane every ~8 seconds. That's not the case in reality, because:

- it's avarage damage per second. There is still RNG involved and the damage is fluctuating. Different guns have different cooldowns. The DP guns fire once every 5 seconds, so they deal the long range damage x5 (+/- RNG) and don't deal any damage for the next 5 seconds. The midrange guns deal damage every 0.5 sec (half of the dps showed +/- RNG) and the close range guns shoot every 0.1 seconds, so the damage get's more constant when entering the mid- and closerange auras.

- everything is constantly moving in the game, so the planes will switch between the areas.

It's also important to notice that the game is scaled and everything is faster. The planes fly ~ 5 times faster compared to the ingame distance. Those Essex's TBs fly with 132x5 = 660 knots considering the ingame scale. That's 1222.32 km/h or ~339.53 m/s. To make it easier let's say that this TB squadron will be covering 0,33 km/sec or 1 ingame km every 3 sec.

So knowing this the CV captains can plan their attacks and calculate the expected losses, while their targets can realise what kind of defenses they have against those nasty "clickers".

Now few words about what's NOT taken into account:

- The position of the AA guns and their firing arcs. It just doesn't matter from where is the plane comming, the avarage dps is constant inside the aura.

- Squadrons don't have their own hp ingame - there is only squadron and ratio of alive/killed planes. If the squadron survived it's encounter with the AA and no planes got shot down the damage taken is not "remembered" - when under attack by AA again it's considered to be full health as the planes were not damaged in the old barrages.

- The AA fire animations have nothing to do with the effectiveness and hitting planes, they are simply visuals.

Note: All values in the pictures are for undamaged ships. During the battle those guns are taken out by shells and bombs, so the AA power can be severely decreased.

The 0.4.0 update added float fighters for tier 4+ cruisers and high tier battleships. They are not part of the ship's AA and won't attack the target you focus for the AA guns, it will choose for itself and will always attack the most dangerous strike squadron.

See you on the Battlefield :)

Sharana

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Actually no. With the way AA Barrage mechanics works, no other Cruiser (except Des Moines and Baltimore) can be as devastating against enemy aircraft as the Atlanta.

Raw DPS-wise, it's not too spectacular, but what AA Barrage does (beside reducing bomber accuracy) is increasing long-range AA guns (usually those 100-127mm DP guns) DPS by 6 times. Also, when you select target as priority, it increases further by 1.5 times (stack with the previous modifier too) Considering the number of DP guns the Atlanta has, and the natural long-range and upgrades, it's very scary.

If we take into account long-range AA alone, here's what it looks like when a ship has all possible AA upgrades and captain skills activates AA Barrage:

- Mogami: 4x2 127mm = 24DPS. AA DPS Bonus= 110%.

AA Barrage on = 24 * 1.1 * 6 = 158.4 DPS.

AA Barrage on priority target: 158.4 * 1.5 = 237.6 DPS.

- Myoko: 4x2 127mm = 18 DPS (different gun from Mogami). AA DPS Bonus = 110%.

AA Barrage on = 18 * 1.1 * 6 = 118.8 DPS.

AA Barrage on priority target: 118.8 * 1.5 = 178.2 DPS.

- Cleveland: 6x 5-inch twin = 36 DPS. AA DPS Bonus = 110%.

AA Barrage on = 36 * 1.1 * 6 = 237.6 DPS.

AA Barrage on priority target: 237.6 * 1.5 = 356.4 DPS.

- Baltimore: 6x 5-inch twin = 36 DPS. AA DPS Bonus = 132% (due to tier9-10 ship AA upgrade module).

AA Barrage on = 36 * 1.32 * 6 = 285.12 DPS.

AA Barrage on priority target: 285.12 * 1.5 = 427.68 DPS.

- Atlanta: 8x 5-inch twin = 48 DPS. AA DPS Bonus = 110%.

AA Barrage on = 48 * 1.1 * 6 = 316.8 DPS.

AA Barrage on priority target: 316.8 * 1.5 = 475.2 DPS.

See what I mean? Btw, those are long-range guns DPS only, and all of them can upgrade to 7.2km range. Atalnta's other short-range AA guns have 2km range of 88 DPS total, with all upgrades it's 2.9km with roughly 97 DPS. Adds that to the formula above if enemy planes get that close to you.

Imagine what it's like Fighting against an Atlanta with 7.2km AA range with 475.2 DPS. Ofcourse AA Barrage could last for a moment, but if the Atlanta captain plays his card right, he can decimate your squadrons in short time.

Source of AA mechanics (confirmed by WG devs):

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/13878-basics-aa-mechanics/

You need to login to your EU account to view it though.

those stats vs my experience in both the cruisers and the CVs? i'll trust my experience pls than those theories. like what the guide has said, RNG is deeply involved with the REAL damage inflicted. I don't even want to compare baltimore and des moines's AA capability vs the atlanta. balty and des wreck my planes from essex like popcorn from 7 km, and wouldn't even last 5 sec at that range. meanwhile, my full AA modded atlanta can decently kill some tier 6 bombers but not enough to completely mop the sky like the balty, des, north cal -- montana.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Seems a tad bizarre that the damage taken in one attack is not 'remembered' for the next.

Duck into range, see barrage triggered, duck out again. Wait 'x' seconds. Attack again.

No damage taken from barrage counts, but the barrage is now on cool down.

About right?

Beta Tester
486 posts
7,921 battles

Played last night in the Atlanta and got accused of cheating ?????

Don't know why,

The player may have thought the 184 hits and 2 kills and fires and damage caused just aren't possible ? LOL (oh and we lost that game)

Edited by Kapitan_Zur_See_Hoffmann

26 posts
308 battles

The Atlanta is worth every penny considering all the laughs and giggles you get setting everybody on fire with HE.

Range is not much of an issue with a level 10 Captain(20% more gun range).

Edited by DrippingCannon