Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Commander_Dusty

USN CV loadout

14 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Back in CBT (up to tier 6 USN CV) I've experimented with different carrier configurations (mainly balanced vs fighter heavy)

Due to the ongoing lack of reward for air superiority (i.e shooting down planes) and despite iChase's opnions of how USN CV's should ideally be fighter heavy, I've found that sometimes less is more.

What I mean by that is that balanced configurations always end up being more rewarding, currently I'm on the Bogue and found that going stock flight control with one fighter and one torpedo bomber squad is better than the 2 fighter and 1 dive bomber configuration.

Torpedo bombers always deal more damage and are much better at gaining experience and for self defence, and while having more fighters is nice, it doesn't change the max allowable number of aircraft a ship can carry, and having fewer (accounting for attrition), but full strength squadrons (1 x 6 plane squadron) is preferable to more understrength squadrons (say 2 x 3 plane squadrons), as they simply lack firepower and are too thinly spread to be effective, especially in dogfights with IJN fighters at full strength. Though this may not always be ideal, in pub matches where teamwork is minimal, I just find this to be the most effective setup.

Anybody else agree, disagree?

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Ideally, if AA work was just as rewarding as AS work, I would, but I get petty credits/experience for it, so I'd rather be able to torp the opponents ships without bother instead, or chase the odd lone squadron.

Any decent IJN CV captain would fly his bombing aircraft away from my fighters and near friendly AA support anyways, so I'd lose fighters if i tried to give chase (and then IJN CV's can send their fighters to finish my fighters off). 

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Hmm from my experience I used the first stock module in the Bogue all the way till i got my indy, which was 23 battles worth of games.

Use US CVs as a strategic strike force, take out half health ships / help take a huge chunk off the enemy team's BB.

Edited by Halken_Sky

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Yeah, pretty much the choice for US CV is either go for Air Superiority or Balanced loadout. While JP CV for Full Airstrike or Balanced loadout.

In the end though, US CV may go for Balanced loadout and JP CV have to take Full Airstrike loadout.

I believe US CV is unbalanced for full strike loadout since it's 6 planes per squadron?

Edited by Mingfang47

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I believe US CV is unbalanced for full strike loadout since it's 6 planes per squadron?

Up to Lexxington, USN CV only have 1 TB bomber squad, while the DBs are quite rubbish against BB

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Up to Lexxington, USN CV only have 1 TB bomber squad, while the DBs are quite rubbish against BB

The damage is poor, but what you are aiming for are those fires.

Use TB, or any other Bomber, to crit him and flood him/sets him on fire, then wait.

If he uses damage control party, wait until it finishes then bomb him again with 2nd group, else just let him burn.

With careful aiming, you can set 2-3 fires, usually atleast 1. You know how deadly fire is to BB.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

The damage is poor, but what you are aiming for are those fires.

Use TB, or any other Bomber, to crit him and flood him/sets him on fire, then wait.

If he uses damage control party, wait until it finishes then bomb him again with 2nd group, else just let him burn.

With careful aiming, you can set 2-3 fires, usually atleast 1. You know how deadly fire is to BB.

Except when they don't

Unlike TB, in Storm of Cruiser Barage, TB can still land at least a Deadly torpedoes to a ship, While DB....

they just....

I don't know...

They are  F*cked Their Aim Screwed up?

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Except when they don't

Unlike TB, in Storm of Cruiser Barage, TB can still land at least a Deadly torpedoes to a ship, While DB....

they just....

I don't know...

They are  F*cked Their Aim Screwed up?

Usually when you don't set fire using Bomb, it's either:

- You didn't aim well, or there's not enough bombs dropped. Or your target too small, anything smaller than BB/CV is not good.

- The target is already on fire. I'm not sure if you can set fire to already-burning part of the ship, but when I see it's on fire, I switch to another target.

- RNG happens and bomb didn't lit the ship up. It doesn't happen that often though.

1 post
851 battles

I've had perfect approaches on  BB's with a full squad of DB from a Bogue and missed completely.  

I'm currently in the Bogue (everything unlocked except the Independence), at both Tier IV and V the carriers seem very unbalanced in favour of the Japanese.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

someone who doesn't play CV. understandable opinion. count IJN's total number of bombers on full strike loadout and their ability to be spread out to mitigate the effect of figthers and to strike at multiple angles on a maneuvering ship.

For USN CVs upto lexington, the only true decent setup is the stock. everything else suck. you get some enjoyment at Essex when you thought you can finally keep up with the IJN's damage output, only to be thrashed by the all new improved 3-2-2 and 4-2-2 of taiho and hakuryu respectively + they probably have the air superiority skill at that tier, 5 figther per squad; they can damage ship effectively, and can mop the sky effectively. you get a small relief in the upgrade to midway, but still you can't keep up with 4 figthers. you can choose 2-1-2 stock setup for midway, but your back to tier 7 damage output or opt for 3-0-2 and forget about the enemy ships, heck forget about the game-- a very disappointing one for a tier 10 ship. It really sux to be a USN CV right now when your up against an IJN CV at high tier, quite the handicap.

What I mean by that is that balanced configurations always end up being more rewarding, currently I'm on the Bogue and found that going stock flight control with one fighter and one torpedo bomber squad is better than the 2 fighter and 1 dive bomber configuration.

true, while the IJN's figther setup is a direct upgrade from its stock setup without losing their torpedo bombers like in USN CV, what a discrimination.

Edited by Deicide

Super Tester
2,725 posts

someone who doesn't play CV. understandable opinion. count IJN's total number of bombers on full strike loadout and their ability to be spread out to mitigate the effect of figthers and to strike at multiple angles on a maneuvering ship.

For USN CVs upto lexington, the only true decent setup is the stock. everything else suck. you get some enjoyment at Essex when you thought you can finally keep up with the IJN's damage output, only to be thrashed by the all new improved 3-2-2 and 4-2-2 of taiho and hakuryu respectively + they probably have the air superiority skill at that tier, 5 figther per squad; they can damage ship effectively, and can mop the sky effectively. you get a small relief in the upgrade to midway, but still you can't keep up with 4 figthers. you can choose 2-1-2 stock setup for midway, but your back to tier 7 damage output or opt for 3-0-2 and forget about the enemy ships, heck forget about the game-- a very disappointing one for a tier 10 ship. It really sux to be a USN CV right now when your up against an IJN CV at high tier, quite the handicap.

I play CV back in CBT, only made it to Ryuujou & Bogue. Was disappointed the loadouts for US Carrier. Just saying a Full Air Strike for US CV without fighters at all, will distort the balance. Besides, US CV is uniquely good at countering & stalling enemy air attack though..... only shooting down planes & do few dive bombing still lacking on getting much exp.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,395 battles

Usually when you don't set fire using Bomb, it's either:

- You didn't aim well, or there's not enough bombs dropped. Or your target too small, anything smaller than BB/CV is not good.

- The target is already on fire. I'm not sure if you can set fire to already-burning part of the ship, but when I see it's on fire, I switch to another target.

- RNG happens and bomb didn't lit the ship up. It doesn't happen that often though.

you can set fire on a already burning part.

the fir extinguish timer will just reset to 60 sec lol (around 60sec I guess

Sign in to follow this