Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fear_the_Reaper

an extra 5-10 minutes for the standard battle timer please?

How often do you draw?   

38 members have voted

1. 1. What is your draw percentage overall?

• Between 1% and 2%
    • Between 2% and 5%
    • Between 5% and 10%
    • Between 10% and 15%
    • Above 15%
  2. 2. Do you feel like draws are more frequent above tier 6?

28 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

First two games tonight and both were draws that would most likely have been wins with an extra 5-10 minutes on the clock, at the moment my draws stand at 9.8% of my battles played and i feel like that number would be below 5% just by adding a few extra minutes onto the clock.

Here are the replays if anyone is curious as to how the games progressed.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/psj5x567afjdvje/20150715_212705_PASC007-Cleveland-1945_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jjd9hp9b1gss7c9/20150715_210408_PASC007-Cleveland-1945_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

Below tier 5 it is not as much of a problem but i really do feel like the draws in tier 6+ games are largely related to the short battle timer.

If you feel like you may have a better solution to the draw problem than a few minutes added onto the battle timer in high tier games please do post your thoughts, lets get this thing sorted out. 

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

as discussed in Alpha and then in CBT, adding more time would not make the draw problem go away, players would just use the extra time to do the same things they are doing now. 

Would have helped in both those games i had earlier haha 

181 posts
905 battles

as discussed in Alpha and then in CBT, adding more time would not make the draw problem go away, players would just use the extra time to do the same things they are doing now. 

this. This is exactly why adding an extra 5-10 minutes is a bad idea. it'd just be an extra 5 or 10 minutes of watching people do nothing but run into the blue line or camp. 

that being said I'm yet to see many draws. but I do have a small sample size of just under 100 games played the majority of them below tier 6 at the moment so I cant really say a definate yes or no to there being frequent draws.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Lengthening the time may not solve the issue at all while making the game too dull.

20 - arguable I'd say, but 25-30 minutes per game is just too long. Warships is already very slow paced, I am a bit worry that it make the game too boring.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Lengthening the time may not solve the issue at all while making the game too dull.

20 - arguable I'd say, but 25-30 minutes per game is just too long. Warships is already very slow paced, I am a bit worry that it make the game too boring.

Honestly i hardly see a game draw because someone is on the blue line it is 9 times out of 10 a case of needing just a few extra minutes to kill the last 1 or 2 ships, normally it tends to be CV that cause draws being that they tend to be far away from a battle and if you have had to defend the cap then go looking for one you simply dont have the time to and the game draws, or at least thats what most of my draws are like.

Maybe a smaller map size to encourage people to fight eachother would be a better solution? the maps at high tiers are quite large as is and i know in the low tiers the tiny maps do work for that, all my low tier battles (tier 2-4) tend to be guns blazing the entire time from the first ship thats spotted and they seem to hardly ever draw

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

But a smaller map size also means CVs can rearm their planes faster. BBs start firing straight away.

Smaller map removes the element positioning and relocation.

Thats why i like the idea of a slightly longer battle timer more,

What do you think of Gezeitens suggestion for maybe making ships faster? 

Personally i could see problems with it, shell velocity on just about every ship would need to be increased and i have no idea how much you would have to increase it, same goes for torpedoes to keep the current balance. 

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,801 battles

Could be done but would make WoWS even more arcadeish.

But it wouldnt solve the underlying problem of draws.

People running away from the battle, blue line hugging and waiting for the very end and go hey its time to actually go in.

Its not that the timer isnt enough. People won't engage in battle until they feel its safe. And when its safe the match is over.

Edited by Deathskyz

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

What about having the timer either stop or extended if there is a ship in the cap circle, by how much I'm not sure.

To prevent abuse, they could make it that any extra time diminishes per entry into the cap circle or if they choose the pause the timer, it resumes the countdown.

This of course would happen when the timer goes yellow. >2mins IIRC. 

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

What about having the timer either stop or extended if there is a ship in the cap circle, by how much I'm not sure.

To prevent abuse, they could make it that any extra time diminishes per entry into the cap circle or if they choose the pause the timer, it resumes the countdown.

This of course would happen when the timer goes yellow. >2mins IIRC. 

That is quite a good idea Chawp

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
943 posts
5,633 battles

I'm not against the draw (but I understand what you are talking about, less xp/credits) some of the best footy I have watch have ended in a draw, but now they play golden point time which I hate.

A draw is a sign of a good close game (most of the time).

More then 20mins....No thanks.

Edit: maybe a 5min warning bell

Edited by BigWaveSurfer

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

Rather than extending the battle time, which I suspect would just encourage campers to camp harder, I would much rather see a tiebreaker system in place. This could take the form of a secondary objective, such as the first team to sink 8 enemy warships wins if the primary objectives of completing cap or eliminating all enemy warships is not fulfilled.

20 posts
939 battles

If the match ends a draw, have a vote screen for the remaining alive ships to play-on, if enough vote to play-on the match insta continues with like a 5second cool down once the votes counted and the match resumes kinda like Sudden Death.

Alpha Tester
37 posts
403 battles

I honestly think more time will not help for the many reasons already listed above, and also how people are compelled to think ' ah ! still 10 more minutes ! I still have time to chase this CV at the end of the map with my BB !' or something along those lines :teethhappy:

I do however feel that to eliminate the ties and to motivate people to take action, I would prefer to see the tie mechanism reworked slightly. 

To be precise:

1) When the timer ends, the team with the most ships remaining wins. One caveat is that CV's are not counted.

eg: Team A has x3 DD x1 CV remaining, Team B has x4 CL remaining, Team B wins by a 4:3 score 

2) But even after factoring in the above point, if they still end up with lets say, 2:2 then it ends in a proper draw. 

3) Also the addition of a 'timer announcer' saying things like "5 Minutes remain on the battle timer" for better awareness.

Reasoning:

The whole idea of this is to make players pay more attention to the timer and would prompt them to act and do something when the timer is low. 

Also since CV's dont count they can be 'somewhat' ignored since they dont count to the final score, this eliminates the time people waste to chase down a CV thats on the other end of the map in an 18 knots BB :child:

Rename these kind of 'Victories / Defeat' to something along the lines of 'Tactical defeat' or 'Tactical Victory' and it wont be so far fetched from history either. That way player wont feel too bad about it since if you lost it was due to bad 'Tactics' and hopefully would prompt players to try different approaches in future battle to prevent such a defeat.

just my two cents on how I feel the 'Draws' can be countered. :sceptic:

constructive comments are much welcomed

181 posts
905 battles

I honestly think more time will not help for the many reasons already listed above, and also how people are compelled to think ' ah ! still 10 more minutes ! I still have time to chase this CV at the end of the map with my BB !' or something along those lines :teethhappy:

I do however feel that to eliminate the ties and to motivate people to take action, I would prefer to see the tie mechanism reworked slightly. 

To be precise:

1) When the timer ends, the team with the most ships remaining wins. One caveat is that CV's are not counted.

eg: Team A has x3 DD x1 CV remaining, Team B has x4 CL remaining, Team B wins by a 4:3 score 

2) But even after factoring in the above point, if they still end up with lets say, 2:2 then it ends in a proper draw. 

3) Also the addition of a 'timer announcer' saying things like "5 Minutes remain on the battle timer" for better awareness.

Reasoning:

The whole idea of this is to make players pay more attention to the timer and would prompt them to act and do something when the timer is low. 

Also since CV's dont count they can be 'somewhat' ignored since they dont count to the final score, this eliminates the time people waste to chase down a CV thats on the other end of the map in an 18 knots BB :child:

Rename these kind of 'Victories / Defeat' to something along the lines of 'Tactical defeat' or 'Tactical Victory' and it wont be so far fetched from history either. That way player wont feel too bad about it since if you lost it was due to bad 'Tactics' and hopefully would prompt players to try different approaches in future battle to prevent such a defeat.

just my two cents on how I feel the 'Draws' can be countered. :sceptic:

constructive comments are much welcomed

thats actually quite a good idea. a bloody good idea actually, it'd be a good addition to the game and make people play that little bit harder. 

the negatives to it though is it would most likely promote MORE camping as more people try and disengage or not engage too close in an effort to ensure they remain alive at the end of the battle and so the end result would.... most likely cause the game to break since it wouldnt be able to calculate who won when almost all the ships are still alive :(

Alpha Tester
37 posts
403 battles

thats actually quite a good idea. a bloody good idea actually, it'd be a good addition to the game and make people play that little bit harder. 

the negatives to it though is it would most likely promote MORE camping as more people try and disengage or not engage too close in an effort to ensure they remain alive at the end of the battle and so the end result would.... most likely cause the game to break since it wouldnt be able to calculate who won when almost all the ships are still alive :(

Well to prevent that, we could always just activate the (lets call it 'Tie Breaker' ) mode when each team has less than 5 ships left ? If people still just camp with 80% of each teams still left then the game was doomed from the start. 

And it shouldn't be too hard to calculate or break the game since its just taking the final score ratio which is already present and count off the CV's

Edited by Shokuhou_Misaki

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

If the match ends a draw, have a vote screen for the remaining alive ships to play-on, if enough vote to play-on the match insta continues with like a 5second cool down once the votes counted and the match resumes kinda like Sudden Death.

That is perfect, no one loses in that scenario, its like a democracy :P 

108 posts
467 battles

I really hate it whenever our team is winning, which I refer to as we have the advantage of ships and there is only left one enemy left, we end up in a draw once the time reaches zero. To top it up, there are those players that intend to hide and just finish the time to gain a draw rather than to lose. I'm not saying that this strategy is wrong but it should be a victory for the team that has many ships like the ones being argued by other players. This is just me though. :D

Beta Tester
19 posts
249 battles

Potentially it changes other aspects of gameplay too. I've won a few games by capping late game while the remnants of my team were off dying in stupid ways. 5 additional minutes would just give the enemy time to finish them all off and come looking for me on the cap. 

Conversely, it makes you watch the map more to check you don't drift too far from cap when you're mopping up enemies so they don't sneak a ship in behind you. 

Edited by Gun_Go_Boom

Sign in to follow this