You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CromwellCruiser

Rank Systems

14 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
41 posts
387 battles

Hey guys

Sorry to bother you all.

But I've got a question I'm dying to ask:

How did WG ensure equivalency between the UK rank system and the US/Japanese Rank System?

Because if you look at the Royal Navy's officer ranks, they lack the rank equivalent to the army's 2nd Lieutenant....which is filled in the US by the rank of Ensign and in the IJN by the rank of Sho-I.

The Royal Navy's Ranks go, to my knowledge:

Midshipman<Sub-Lieutenant<Lieutenant<Lieutenant Commander<Commander<Captain

While to my knowledge the US Navy's ranks are:

Midshipman<Ensign<Lieutenant (Junior Grade)<Lieutenant<Lieutenant Commander<Commander<Captain

Did WG resolve this? I'm a little slow on the uptake so if this is a non-question then feel free to tell me so.

P.S. does anyone know where the files for the combat ribbons, e.g. shots hit or hits to citadel, kept? I've found the files for the badges and rank (service record) but not the ribbons--would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Edited by CromwellCruiser

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

A.  WG didn't bother.

B.  IRL they just skip the equivalent ranks they don't have.

The way around it is to equivalize to a number system, especially where the rank names don't match up at all.

(USN Petty Officer starts at E3, RN/RAN/RNZN PO is E5/6)

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Really? Then I imagine this may cause some problems later down the road then--when the Royal Navy runs out of ranks quicker than the USN.

Thanks!

Nope - they stop at Queen (for now) or King when Liz dies.....

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,929 battles

Really? Then I imagine this may cause some problems later down the road then--when the Royal Navy runs out of ranks quicker than the USN.

Thanks!

Well, historically they could have commodore, rear admiral and admiral since 3 of the 4 classes (Battleships, Cruisers and Carriers) were commonly used as flagships for the fleet?

Beta Tester
41 posts
387 battles

Well, historically they could have commodore, rear admiral and admiral since 3 of the 4 classes (Battleships, Cruisers and Carriers) were commonly used as flagships for the fleet?
WhiCH you will notice the USN mirrors with Rear Admiral (Lower Grade). So this does not solve the problem.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

WhiCH you will notice the USN mirrors with Rear Admiral (Lower Grade). So this does not solve the problem.

Try this ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_United_Kingdom_and_United_States_military_ranks#US_.22Enlisted.22_and_UK_.22Other.22_ranks_compared

Beta Tester
41 posts
387 battles

Yes, of course we could use a code such as NATO or others to identify the ranks on an independent scale. I'm just pointing out that the RN lacks a OF-1 rank.

EDIT: Ah, okay. I see. So we start off with the O-1 rank instead of the O-D rank. Good point, one which I missed. No further questions here.

Edited by CromwellCruiser

108 posts
467 battles

Really? LOL hard to imagine HM commanding a ship :D

What happens if she sinks? :P

Naah just kidding mate thanks for the info--you've been a great help!

It would be cool for HM to be the commander of the ship. That way HM will boost the morale of the men on board.

This should give the men -100% reload time on its guns. lol. XD :))

Beta Tester
41 posts
387 battles

It would be cool for HM to be the commander of the ship. That way HM will boost the morale of the men on board.

This should give the men -100% reload time on its guns. lol. XD :))

But oh god what would happen to the commonwealth if the ship was (god forbid) torpedoed and sunk? or worse, ammoracked? 0.0

Notwithstanding the fact that the portraits are male, and we have a female monarch on the throne currently :D