You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CromwellCruiser

HMS Warspite--Potential Buff

17 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
41 posts
387 battles

Hey guys

So just floating an idea because I have observed (in the forums and on youtube reviews) that a lot of players are complaining about the Warspite's lack of range and turret rotation.

However, a lot of people have said that this is working as intended (TM?) so I will not comment on these two characteristics.

Instead, I will suggest a different buff.

First, I would like to say that though I have bought the ship, I have not played it in PvP. People who wish to comment this (and imply my lack of experience) need not do so.

So, on to my suggestion.

In observation of the Warspite's armament I have noticed that there are two turrets (one on each side) listed as shell armaments (102mm/45 QF Mk19) listed as secondary armament and another two turrets listed as AA armament of the exact same specification, which seems to imply that these guns are dual-purpose. They also share a similar model.

As such, I would like to suggest that the "AA Defensive Fire" ability of cruisers may be made available to the Warspite as well, as the stated (or, at least implied) that the way this cooldown works is by concentrating Dual-purpose batteries in an anti-air role, and that both batteries be thus listed as dual purpose secondaries and AA batteries.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Those who wish to reiterate that this battleship's underperformance is working as intended need not do so.

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

I think as it is right now, warspite is already one of the better battleships against air attack out there. It has tight turning radius, and with the rudder shift upgrade you can react fast to incoming air attack. And against tier6 and lower air groups, its air defense performs well enough that you can shoot down many planes in a match provided you make the right manoeuvre. 

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Honestly i am waiting for wargaming to give every ship every ability. its not fair that some ships get better abilites than others and ships like Des moines get both the healing ability and the AA fire ability. 

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

First, I would like to say that though I have bought the ship, I have not played it in PvP. People who wish to comment this (and imply my lack of experience) need not do so.

Those who wish to reiterate that this battleship's underperformance is working as intended need not do so.

Firstly, the game is balanced around PvP, so if you haven't played any you aren't really qualified to talk about balance as a lack of experience prevents you from understanding the meta, which is inextricably linked to game balance, and therefore potential buffs and nerfs, secondly, this is a forum, so people need not tell others what they can and can't write*. 

And for that matter, the Warspite isn't under-performing, it is indeed working as intended, so any discussion of a buff would be purely hypothetical at best.

*Assuming it does not break any of the forum rules.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

One thing to keep in mind is that premium ships aren't meant to be 100% better than a fully upgraded ship of the same tier and type.

As RG_Kid has stated, It has one of best(if not the best) AA armament of the 3 current Tier VI BBs. Having the Defensive fire ability would just be overkill imo.

If I had to buff the Warspite it would be:

1) Fix the Torp bulges, apparently they don't seem to be working or working like they did prior to patch 0.4. I only bought the Warspite after 0.4 but apprently the torp bulges aren't mitigating the same amount of damage as they did before according to people on the subreddit.

2) Increase the Damage control party's work time(the time where your ship is "immune" from fires/flooding e.t.c) from 5secs-->15secs similar to USN BBs.

3) Slight Increase to range,though I don't see this one happening since lack of range and turn time is one of the key drawbacks of the Warspite.

Honestly i am waiting for wargaming to give every ship every ability. its not fair that some ships get better abilites than others and ships like Des moines get both the healing ability and the AA fire ability. 

Aren't they still experimenting whether or not they actually want Tier IX and X CAs to have the Damage Repair ability? 

I don't agree with giving all ships every single ability. Imagine giving CVs smoke or having every ship with Defensive Fire, that would run CVs into the ground. 

Edited by Chawp

Beta Tester
41 posts
387 battles

Firstly, the game is balanced around PvP, so if you haven't played any you aren't really qualified to talk about balance as a lack of experience prevents you from understanding the meta, which is inextricably linked to game balance, and therefore potential buffs and nerfs, secondly, this is a forum, so people need not tell others what they can and can't write*. 

And for that matter, the Warspite isn't under-performing, it is indeed working as intended, so any discussion of a buff would be purely hypothetical at best.

*Assuming it does not break any of the forum rules.

Of course. One was (at least, one thought one was) merely insisting that one fully understood both points, and as such reiteration was, in one's considered opinion, unnecessary. You are, of course, free to reiterate or make arguments on both points, and one will accordingly take note of such arguments. Your arguments are noted.
Edited by CromwellCruiser

61 posts
123 battles

i think only thing warspite need buff is... dispersion

turret rotation also fine for me... only need to think where im going and turn it around beforehand

accuracy is fine... i can land a hit where and when i want to... but dispersion make it land on water and give my target mini heart attack "omg water splash everywhere"

the 102 aa already working on air target... dunno about ship (never get that close to my secondary range)

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I'd say giving the Warspite Defensive Fire is a terrible idea. Giving multiple abilities at that low tier pretty much invalidates the class balance at that levels, especially in PvP. Ships should not be able to fight solo actions.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Funny how quite a number of people here suggested buffing Warspite's dispersion.

Do you guys actually own her? Maximum dispersion stats doesn't say otherwise but her guns are among, if not the most accurate I've ever seen. Just be sure to equip the accuracy boost module first and then observe.

Maximum dispersion is just that, how ****ed up your shells can land away from where you aimed.

Accuracy is the rate/frequency at which shells land at where you aimed, it's hidden stats which can be boosted using certain upgrade modules.

Her range is fine, you are not supposed to engage enemies at long range anyway (partly because of the bad deck and citadel armor, might just be me though). She has good camo rating, so use it to get closer to your targets.

Turret rotation is really bad yes, but she has one of the best maneuverability of all BB.

Her AA rating might not seem that high, but trust me they are much more practical than that stats you see on Kongou, Fusou or Nagato who have relatively comparable AA rating around 35.

Armor-wise, she's kinda hit or miss here, atleast from my observation. Her armor belt is thick, almost as thick as USN BB. Her torpedo bulges is gigantic too, coupled that with the turn capability she's good at evading torpedoes. The miss is her deck armor and maybe citadel armor. I tend to take high amount of damage at range more often than when I close in, from 14-inch guns mainly. 16-inch guns don't have much problem against Warspite at 15+km though.

As for AA Barrage: NO, just no...

That would completely throw off the game's balance, which centered around rock-paper-scissor system.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Funny how quite a number of people here suggested buffing Warspite's dispersion.

Do you guys actually own her? Maximum dispersion stats doesn't say otherwise but her guns are among, if not the most accurate I've ever seen. Just be sure to equip the accuracy boost module first and then observe.

Was just gonna say... The Warspite has been one of the better BBs when it comes to accuracy/dispersion.

Beta Tester
41 posts
387 battles

Maximum dispersion is just that, how ****ed up your shells can land away from where you aimed.

Accuracy is the rate/frequency at which shells land at where you aimed, it's hidden stats which can be boosted using certain upgrade modules.

Her range is fine, you are not supposed to engage enemies at long range anyway (partly because of the bad deck and citadel armor, might just be me though). She has good camo rating, so use it to get closer to your targets.

Turret rotation is really bad yes, but she has one of the best maneuverability of all BB.

Her AA rating might not seem that high, but trust me they are much more practical than that stats you see on Kongou, Fusou or Nagato who have relatively comparable AA rating around 35.

Armor-wise, she's kinda hit or miss here, atleast from my observation. Her armor belt is thick, almost as thick as USN BB. Her torpedo bulges is gigantic too, coupled that with the turn capability she's good at evading torpedoes. The miss is her deck armor and maybe citadel armor. I tend to take high amount of damage at range more often than when I close in, from 14-inch guns mainly. 16-inch guns don't have much problem against Warspite at 15+km though.

As for AA Barrage: NO, just no...

That would completely throw off the game's balance, which centered around rock-paper-scissor system.

Was just gonna say... The Warspite has been one of the better BBs when it comes to accuracy/dispersion.

Never had anything against her dispersion--remarkably accurate from the few games I've played.

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

Never had anything against her dispersion--remarkably accurate from the few games I've played.

I want to hit a fly over 20 km with my Warspite! Why can't i do that!? :trollface:

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Oooooooh, De Moines has healing as well????

Never made it that far up the US line in CBT.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

I play on the NA server a lot with my brother. The Warspite is the ONLY ship I have in port there as I have no intention of grinding it.

I think if you play to it's strengths and are aware & plan ahead for it's weaknesses it is a very balanced (if not maybe, a bit OP) ship as it is.