Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Dread_Pirate_BlackHeart

Atago, comments from owners here please.

47 comments in this topic

[LEAK]
Beta Tester
2,718 posts
2,030 battles

So is Atago still worth while to get?

I didn't bring Haguro-chan out back in CBT when it got down graded to tier 7

Than again, I never really took notice on what shells penned me etc in both Haguro and Mogamin.

All I know is that IJN CA are floating citadels.

But that torpedo arc on Atago is just sweet. What's the torp range for her? Anyone remembered?

10km 62 knots, 109 Seconds reload I think.
Edited by Alvin1020

[BOTES]
Beta Tester
3,034 posts
1,607 battles

10km 62 knots, 109 Seconds reload I think.

Hatsuharu's torpedoes.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

I didn't bring Haguro-chan out back in CBT when it got down graded to tier 7

Than again, I never really took notice on what shells penned me etc in both Haguro and Mogamin.

All I know is that IJN CA are floating citadels.

But that torpedo arc on Atago is just sweet. What's the torp range for her? Anyone remembered?

no, just buy the atlanta. much much funner ship to play. first of all you don't buy a cruiser for its torps for they are only auxillary weapons--your main killing tool are your guns otherwise go play dd.

IJN CA players who complain about them being floating citadels are those who rely on their torpedo so much and sucking so bad at them.

[BOTES]
Beta Tester
3,034 posts
1,607 battles

no, just buy the atlanta. much much funner ship to play. first of all you don't buy a cruiser for its torps for they are only auxillary weapons--your main killing tool are your guns otherwise go play dd.

IJN CA players who complain about them being floating citadels are those who rely on their torpedo so much and sucking so bad at them.

But Atlanta was nerfed along with DD guns. Also, that horrendous fire starting rate and that below average AA damage.

181 posts
943 battles

having played both the atlanta in the CBT and owning an Atago before they removed it from the tech tree, I have to say I prefer the Atago over the Atlanta in versatility and combat effectiveness.

The atlanta whilst fun is limited in it's ability to do much in the way of ship to ship combat it's some what suited for anti-air combat but over all I'd much rather get a cleveland than own an Atlanta.

Now the Atago I'm enjoying the range on it is decent, the speed is decent she is quite nimble in maneuvering and she has a pretty decent rate of fire for a japenese cruiser not to mention even on an average day of which I have many I can still net over 100k in silver with a profitt over 100k or more after repairs and replenishment. 

Plus she can take a beating not like the Atlanta that pretty much crumbles the moment someone aims at it the Atago can take a hit and dish it back pretty good. She's accurate at range and HE or AP though I use HE mostly she can dish it back just as good. I havent had a chance to utalise the torpedos effectively yet but the few hits I get are decent amounts of damage. Over all I find her a very well rounded ship that is enjoyable to play and exceptional when played right.

I actually am quite glad I invested in the Atago and thats coming from someone that does own an Iwaki Alpha and loves playing it too.

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

I would say yes.

It's pretty good aside from the citadels, but those only manifest themselves if you let the other team have easy side shots on your side, as long as you're sailing to/away from the enemy, and not perpendicular to them, you won't have major issues with the citadels, and the torpedoes that can be fired frontally makes up for the weak citadels.

Beta Tester
140 posts
740 battles

I rushed to a loading center for the Atago, now that I have my money online, I suddenly hesitated to buy it, something tells me that I should wait for a tier 8 prem BB instead... hmmm... :unsure:

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

having played both the atlanta in the CBT and owning an Atago before they removed it from the tech tree, I have to say I prefer the Atago over the Atlanta in versatility and combat effectiveness.

The atlanta whilst fun is limited in it's ability to do much in the way of ship to ship combat it's some what suited for anti-air combat but over all I'd much rather get a cleveland than own an Atlanta.

Now the Atago I'm enjoying the range on it is decent, the speed is decent she is quite nimble in maneuvering and she has a pretty decent rate of fire for a japenese cruiser not to mention even on an average day of which I have many I can still net over 100k in silver with a profitt over 100k or more after repairs and replenishment. 

Plus she can take a beating not like the Atlanta that pretty much crumbles the moment someone aims at it the Atago can take a hit and dish it back pretty good. She's accurate at range and HE or AP though I use HE mostly she can dish it back just as good. I havent had a chance to utalise the torpedos effectively yet but the few hits I get are decent amounts of damage. Over all I find her a very well rounded ship that is enjoyable to play and exceptional when played right.

I actually am quite glad I invested in the Atago and thats coming from someone that does own an Iwaki Alpha and loves playing it too.

while it looks fun to play on the surface, atlanta needs significant amount of skill and foresight to play it at its full potential. it is probably the least armored CL in game, gets critical damage like no other, has low range(can be solved with captain skill) and gives you some difficulty sniping as the muzzle velocity is very low(also very high arching). CA vs CA, sklled player vs skilled player, atlanta sucks, but it shines when faced against battleships and specially destroyers. it also is quite "thin" and has good maneuverability hence very capable of dodging torps from air and sea, also the best DD hunter, as no DD will last long when faced against her.

if atago was tier 7 i would have bought her, but her myoko like turret placement stops me from a purchase. don't get me wrong, atago is also a decent ship but at that price and tier placement, it's not worth for me . . if I want that gameplay, i'll just go ahead with a myoko while mogami is far superior to atago. forget about those torp arcs, not really that important to cruisers.

Edited by Deicide

[VOR]
Super Tester_
1,398 posts
15,412 battles

What about Atlanta ?

Atlanta has pretty awesome RoF cuz they are like 5inch gun.

Which means you can only fire HE shell against ur opponent

and a skilled DD can destroyed your gun in 1 shot :<

Personally I won't buy it :>

• Cool 1

[VOR]
Super Tester_
1,398 posts
15,412 battles

the Torpedo mount on Atago is like the most useful than other IJN cruisers

I have no idea why they set the torp mount at the back :l

• Cool 1

[BOTES]
Beta Tester
3,034 posts
1,607 battles

the Torpedo mount on Atago is like the most useful than other IJN cruisers

I have no idea why they set the torp mount at the back :l

Because they have Gyroscopes in real life that will shift the torpedoes into position no matter where it's launched from. 

[BLUMR]
4,163 posts
1,924 battles

Atlanta's still pretty deadly in 4.0 - the HE nerf didn't hit it very hard because Atlanta's main strength isn't HE damage, but setting a truly ludicrous number of fires.

I don't recommend a new player buying it, though, it's a VERY difficult ship to play, more so than Atago. It's got very sluggish handling (poor steering), detectability just over its abysmal firing range, and is extremely fragile since it's a light cruiser hull with destroyer turrets.

That being said, the pros of the ship is that if it can bring its guns to bear and commence firing, any ship in the game has to start running or they'll burn to death (or in the case of destroyers, simply explode and die). Her AA damage is fine, actually - the good part is that most of it is concentrated in her main guns, which means she's capable of shooting down same-tier planes very easily from 5-6km out. Higher tier planes, not so much.

I mean Atago, but yes, 155mm can hit citadels of the Myoukou at 10km. That's the only cruiser that can get AP penned at 10km with 155mm.

12.7mm can pen Myoukou's citadels at 10km range if you see a flat trajectory instead of plunging fire. I've tried this.

2,314 posts
8,100 battles

Got back from work, borrowed imouto's lappy, loaded gold and PAN-PAKA-PAN!!!

Ship with otome-plugin is in the port!

Took her out on her shakedown cruise and immediately netted 1st kill with torps and a second with guns. 

I must say, it feels like I'm using Mogamin. 

30sec turret rotation, 15 sec reload, despite being put in (censored) teams and sometimes having bad gunnery, Otome-plugin is all tsun-tsun and plenty of dere-dere

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,492 battles

while it looks fun to play on the surface, atlanta needs significant amount of skill and foresight to play it at its full potential. it is probably the least armored CL in game, gets critical damage like no other, has low range(can be solved with captain skill) and gives you some difficulty sniping as the muzzle velocity is very low(also very high arching). CA vs CA, sklled player vs skilled player, atlanta sucks, but it shines when faced against battleships and specially destroyers. it also is quite "thin" and has good maneuverability hence very capable of dodging torps from air and sea, also the best DD hunter, as no DD will last long when faced against her.

if atago was tier 7 i would have bought her, but her myoko like turret placement stops me from a purchase. don't get me wrong, atago is also a decent ship but at that price and tier placement, it's not worth for me . . if I want that gameplay, i'll just go ahead with a myoko while mogami is far superior to atago. forget about those torp arcs, not really that important to cruisers.

Atlanta is the least armored CL? My Yubari wants to say hello.

Honestly I think the Yubari has weakest survivalbility, if we discount mobility that is.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,492 battles

Did a quick check, both rotate in 30sec but Otome-plugin shoots 2 km longer than Mogamin

And she shoots slower.

The main disadvantage of Takao against Mogami IMO is the placement of her 3rd turret, which faces the rear instead of front. It makes it more difficult to switch side when going head-on, but easier when running away.

2,314 posts
8,100 battles

And she shoots slower.

The main disadvantage of Takao against Mogami IMO is the placement of her 3rd turret, which faces the rear instead of front. It makes it more difficult to switch side when going head-on, but easier when running away.

True but still... So far with the games in Otome-plugin thus far, I'm not sure if those other normal tier 7 8 ships were former experienced CBT players or tier rushers... Strangely enough, they can't seem to land shots on me.

Shots either fall long, short or straddle.

181 posts
943 battles

yes indeed. how ever against battleships you are still prone to being hit very heavily due to the lower armour of the atlanta vs a normal cruiser. 

In reality the Atlanta is best suited for DD interdiction and should be treated like a very good looking slightly slower but faster hitting US destroyer play to her rather large advantages against weaker oponents and you will have immense amounts of fun.

How ever I can do that just as well in my minekaze or a US destroyer for free as opposed to buy the Atlanta and do it with less range, yes commander skills can increase firing distance but she's still very under powered when it comes to firing range. She's nimble enough you can play tag with the DDs and dodge torpedos and she can spin her turrets at an amazing pace which is a very big benefit for chasing DDs as well but over all she should refrain from taking on other ships unless you can exactly know you wont get hit by them before they die. 

dont get me wrong I think she's a wonderful ship. I played her, I had my fun in her I had decided in the CBT I wouldnt buy her in the OBT.

The Atago, aside from the third turret placement which whilst annoying is usable. And her torpedo positioning is quite nice, from what I can see. That being said I've not played her japanese equivelants but compared to the New Orleans and the Baltimore, I'd much prefer the Atago I find her more accurate and faster firing but that could all be in my head to be honest. I'll still recommend the Atago over the Atlanta, but I will still say good purchase to someone that chooses to buy the Atlanta. I just personally wont own one again.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

The thing about that is though, when you meet a good Lowe driver, they really punish you for taking them lightly.

Overall the Atago is a great ship, although very susceptible to damage.  She packs a fair punch and has good torpedo layout.  She is not a good ship to learn in as she is not forgiving.

When you meet my Lowe in WoT it has my 5+ skill E-100 crew in it :playing:

Beta Tester
140 posts
740 battles

After watching several Atago gameplay, I've observed that the credit earnings after a battle in average is actually only a bit higher than what I can make in my Arkansas, which is 200k+-, the exp earned is not very high either... now, looking at WoT, earnings in tier 8 prems are very high compared to tier 4 prems, WoWS doesn't seem to follow the same ratio for its prems... If my very reason on buying a tier 8 prem here at WoWS is having a higher credit earnings, is Atago not worth buying?

[A-SKY]
Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
772 battles

After watching several Atago gameplay, I've observed that the credit earnings after a battle in average is actually only a bit higher than what I can make in my Arkansas, which is 200k+-, the exp earned is not very high either... now, looking at WoT, earnings in tier 8 prems are very high compared to tier 4 prems, WoWS doesn't seem to follow the same ratio for its prems... If my very reason on buying a tier 8 prem here at WoWS is having a higher credit earnings, is Atago not worth buying?

Both are different games with different systems, do not mix them up just because they are run by the same company.

Beta Tester
140 posts
740 battles

Both are different games with different systems, do not mix them up just because they are run by the same company.

WG said they made WoWS quite parallel to WoT, just like WoWP, so it's not irrelevant to expect the same in some ways...

Sign in to follow this