Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Jeheil

My Review of WoWS to date (350 games, 55%)

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
5 posts
1,042 battles

Bit of context. Long time gamer, lots of WOT, Beta Tester for Naval Combat, didnt do more than a week of Closed Beta.

I have ~350 games of WOWS with a ~55% win rate...so no claims on being Lord of the Seas.

In general I am having alot of fun, top ship is currently T6, I play all 4 types of ships, US CV, US BB, US Cruiser, IJN DD.

I think the game is fairly well balanced, some tweaks here and there, but its early and until the community is spread across the tiers and a couple more nations opened up its hard to know precisely.

DD's, great fun, fast, mad, lots of tactics for getting it right...lots of...insta death just when you thought you were ruling the world, I find the conceal/torp range makes the IJN much easier to play...I hear the USN torps get very nice lategame.

Cruisers, more difficult to 'turn' an entire battle on their own, however pound for pound probably the best punch, long range (sometimes I think too long) and solid damage, I do think they are a little 'too quick' and 'too nimble' but I loves my Pheonix and the St Louis at lower tiers is almost troll good with all 300 batteries firing flaming death every 6 seconds...

BB's, hardest to play, horrible at close range, Im still of the opinion that if a cruiser sits 4km off my broadside and we trade fire for 60 seconds....then the cruiser should be vaporised 99% of the time. Of course thats not the case, in actual fact, the cruiser rips your modules to pieces with fiery death, puts 3 torps into you and bbq's your crew, while you get to fire twice, missing 50% of the time and praying that your impossible to aim shots get two citadels.

However, at medium to long range, with lots of practice, I love my BB's. I dont mind the inaccuracy at 15km's+...I mean we are chucking shells the size of beer barrels over 15 km's !! a ship is only 10's of meters to hit......i reckon BB's need to be about 5% better to be on par...5% less burning damage, 5% less flooding damage and 5% more accuracy at long range....at short range there has to be some sort of thing that says if all 12 guns of a Battleship bear down on you ate the same time...some sort of armageddon parameter kicks in and you and your childrens childrens take significant damage.

CV's....I dont think they are OP. The turnaround time for damage is LONG. A torp squad landing say 20k damage of torps + flood opportunity takes 3 mins (take off, fly, fire, return, refuel). Even if the wing survives and hits with say 2 torps (to be hit by 3 is unlucky...to be hit by more is folly) then the DPM is not OP. It is the dirty devious way...they sit back in relative safety while you are slugging it out honourably with a foe that irritates folks. Learn to defend against torps even in a BB....ask for cover from your CV...sit next to AA or have AA. I do think US CV's are a little weak compared to IJN, this is due to not having as many wings up....and the time a fighter wing can be harried by single seaters....or wiped out by a cruisers lone pilot while they return empty ammod...the fighters should be better at disengaging from an inferior force.

The FIVE big things I would change :

1) Better MM with CV's. 1-0, 2-1 is just BAD and CV's can single handedly turn a game, especially pre T6 if they have superiority due to lower tier AA fail.

2) Allow CV's to choose, pre-battle, their wing by wing loadout. 2 fighters and 1 torpedo bomber at T6 for USN is just pants. Let them have MORE wings but with less reserves. If I choose to have 3 fighter squads with only 4 planes in each as opposed to one with 6 in flight and 6 in reserve...thats my choice...its to straight jacketed.

3) The Blue Line exploit is horribad. Make the blue line akin to beaching..."Sir we have hit rough seas" we need to manouver out....we can't fire in these conditions and damage taken will be amplified"

4) BB hits at close range should have some kinetic energy bonus...you just got hit by a massive, high velocity shell at point blank.

5) Encourage divisions, let the spoils (money, exp, stars) be (optionally) shared by divisions. If I play defence/AA for my carrier and DO THE RIGHT THING naval tactics wise I shouldnt be punished with low returns despite 'clear skies'.

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
390 posts
3,801 battles

I agree with everything except 2 :) nice read

I seem to have a bit of luck firing AP at cruisers and hopefully scoring a citadel or two. One thing I've learned as a BB player, is get the fire flag on ya ship, get the prem consumables also (just the BB your grinding) so you have super quick repair and fire times, and don't use repair on one fire (on your ship icon bottom left of the screen), just burn as it does minimal damage, maybe 2-3k total, use it when your burning end to end or sinking

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

This is the first time I'm seeing someone post about how hard to hit with BB

Usually they always complain about its survivability (Torp, Fire, Air strike)

350 posts

I find the game to be pretty enjoyable, not sure about DD balance, once I switched to Japanese DDs that playstyle got a lot more fun, the tier III is great. US Cruisers seem pretty good, Phoenix after the St Louis felt like a downgrade.

Seems like WG are on to something good here.

[ADM_L]
Beta Tester
279 posts
895 battles

This is the first time I'm seeing someone post about how hard to hit with BB

Usually they always complain about its survivability (Torp, Fire, Air strike)

They would rather complain about "CA OP" instead, after all

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

BB's, hardest to play, horrible at close range, Im still of the opinion that if a cruiser sits 4km off my broadside and we trade fire for 60 seconds....then the cruiser should be vaporised 99% of the time. Of course thats not the case, in actual fact, the cruiser rips your modules to pieces with fiery death, puts 3 torps into you and bbq's your crew, while you get to fire twice, missing 50% of the time and praying that your impossible to aim shots get two citadels.

Don't mistake hardest class for an over-reliance on RNG, but then again, BB inaccuracy is greatly exaggerated anyway.

If you manage to miss two salvoes at 4km, while the cruiser manages to drop torps (which means he's got his broadside to you) the fault does not lie with battleships being a bad class.

Beta Tester
5 posts
1,128 battles

Option for shared exp for divisions sounds great but only if: It won't work for fail plats and it will not work if one of the member in that division is just afk ( basically one guy power leveling someone else)

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Option for shared exp for divisions sounds great but only if: It won't work for fail plats and it will not work if one of the member in that division is just afk ( basically one guy power leveling someone else)

Fail platoons would get what they deserve - fail XP & fail credits. 

So few people would be doing it AFK, logically & logistically, that it wouldn't be an issue.

Another issue, yet discussed, is what would happen if one person had premium and the other(s) didn't.

I think it's a fantastic idea. However, it's a pie so uber-high in the sky I don't have the oxygen to spend too much time thinking about it.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

all of these except 5 have had been suggested since closed beta countless times that i've grown sick of seeing it. the thing is,devs don't give shite about what players think. they just follow the trail of coins

[PBKAC]
Alpha Tester
207 posts
1,259 battles

Good post +1

BB shell spread from the same turret is, well, it feels wrong.  If all guns in a particular turret are properly laid on a target, they should have a pretty decent chance of landing.  Rather than see one strike and the other fly off into nether-nether.  It seems as though - say for example a twin gun turret - your lay is the average of the two, in terms of elevation.  Know what I mean?

Beta Tester
5 posts
1,042 battles

Don't mistake hardest class for an over-reliance on RNG, but then again, BB inaccuracy is greatly exaggerated anyway.

If you manage to miss two salvoes at 4km, while the cruiser manages to drop torps (which means he's got his broadside to you) the fault does not lie with battleships being a bad class.

Its not missing. Its NOT CITADELing thats the problem. with 12 guns at close range and a 30 second reload. If you don't do a 'big' hit you are dead. My accuracy on BB in general is 'good'. The dispersion can be a bit WTF every now and again...but in general it is all about practice. Leading etc. Its just that the real damage from BB's is AP. But an AP round that doesnt 'do the do' seems to do much less damage than the shots per min seems to expect.

My BB is sort of my 'main'. I love the great lumbering beast. I have NO gripes at all about CV's. Their DPM isnt OP. A great CV captain will of course wreck you (if you get caught out of AA coverage...which at <T5 is always). A two pronged manually aimed torp run will cut you up...however I have no problem with that...its ALL the damage the CV will do for 3 mins.

In 3 mins...a good BB player can easily crack 50k damage on opposing ships...and of course the better the BB player the more often and higher that will be.

I think one dimension that is very different with BB players is 'where to go'. Be so slow, to both turn, move and relocate your firing arc, you have to plan 2-3 mins ahead. You have to know where you expect the enemy to be...what enemy it will be....and in turn how you can make the best of that. If you find yourself on your own....with a DD or a couple of Cruisers....unless you get a lucky hit on the DD....or the cruisers are idiots....you are in deep doo doo. And that is how it should be. BB's operate best as the back line man....sitting 2-3k's back from a couple of cruisers and a DD. In random non divisional battles....on a server when not everyone speaks the same language or at all....this makes the ADVANTAGES of being in a BB harder to realise. But not impossible.

Sign in to follow this