Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Beatrice_von_Kircheisen

Question about Atago Class

23 comments in this topic

25 posts
1,923 battles

Hi guys, 

I'm making decision about to purchase Atago Class which will be available in premium shop this week.

But I have some Question about this class.

1. How many many main turret, she has? and 3.8 Rounds per min is too slow or not for CA? (Now I use Murmansk with 8.6 rpm)

and other detail as turret speed / Range of fire

2. Her AP shell can penetrate BB armor or not?

3. How many AA gun she has?

4. What about speed and turning speed?

5. Compare with Mogami or New Orleans, this good to purchase or when I upgrade Tier VIII CAs, it's equal Agato-Class spec

Sorry about my English Skill

Thank you

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

1: You can preview her, just open the tech tree and click on her.

In case you wondered, she's quite identical to the Tier7 IJN CA Myoko, except with slightly modification here and there. 5x Twin turrets, 10 guns total. 3 turrets at the bow, 2 at the stern but only 2 of them are forward-facing.

2: Her 203mm guns are mostly identical to other Japanese ones. Penning BB is both yes and no; most of the time it's no, but there are some rare occasions where you get BB's side at close range, then maybe. Her HE shells are quite good against anything that's not Cruiser though, her AP can wreck other Cruisers and Carrier too.

3: Pretty bad. It can shoot down some planes, but don't expect to fend of a concentrated air attack even with AA Barrage ability turned on. She carriers 4x Twin 127mm dual-purpose guns, also quite a number of 25mm single-mount AA guns. AA stats are around 35/100.

4: Pretty identical to other Japanese CA, she's fast and turn decently.

5: She's a slightly nerfed Mogami equipped with 203mm gun. I don't know about New Orleans but Atago definitely have much weaker armor and anti-aircraft guns.

Last notes:

- She's not Atago-class, she's Atago, the second ship of Takao-class.

- Her price is 10700 gold doubloon, rather expensive I'd say.

- She's a good Cruiser, but being a Japanese one means it requires you some practice to get a hang of her capabilities and weaknesses. If you are not used to Japanese Cruisers (Particularly tier6 and above), I suggest refrain from the purchase until you understand better about them.

EDIT: I forgot that the new patch hasn't roll out yet, derp me :hiding:

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

you forget center mounted torps, which can really surprise people who are silly enough to broadside engagement at close ranges with you.

25 posts
1,923 battles

Thank you for answer

Now I play only Murmansk and American Cruiser (Now Tier 5), My Japanese Cruiser stop at Tenryu...

And my trop skill is very low. (I start to play around 1 week, My trop hit only 2 Targets...)

However I want to try Atago (thank you for correct my understand ///_///) Because she look like cruiser with Big Gun (Battleship is too slow shot for me).

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

you forget center mounted torps, which can really surprise people who are silly enough to broadside engagement at close ranges with you.

It's not the Centerline-mounted torp, it's the angle of the fore-mounted launcher which is able to shoot forward.

But let's not forget, they are sitting right next to the boiler, right at the middle of the ship, easiest place to hit. You know what will happen if a ship carrying Long Lances take a hit :hiding:

Thank you for answer

Now I play only Murmansk and American Cruiser (Now Tier 5), My Japanese Cruiser stop at Tenryu...

And my trop skill is very low. (I start to play around 1 week, My trop hit only 2 Targets...)

However I want to try Atago (thank you for correct my understand ///_///) Because she look like cruiser with Big Gun (Battleship is too slow shot for me).

If you are still at tier5, I suggest you refrain from buying her at all, for now. Focus on polishing your skill until you get to a normal tier8 first before buying a tier8 premium ship.

EDIT: You could try getting the tier6 Aoba or tier7 Myoko (Myoko is a better option). If you can do well in them, then you should be able to command an Atago.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

25 posts
1,923 battles

If you are still at tier5, I suggest you refrain from buying her at all, for now. Focus on polishing your skill until you get to a normal tier8 first before buying a tier8 premium ship.

EDIT: You could try getting the tier6 Aoba or tier7 Myoko (Myoko is a better option). If you can do well in them, then you should be able to command an Atago.

Can I go through in American CA (I'm in Tier 5 ,1944 Hull upgrade) or should go For IJN (I'm in Tier 3).

And How long for each premium ship available in the shop?

Beta Tester
17 posts
1,167 battles

You should atleast try to get the Cleveland before switching lines again.

Also, dont mount the the last hull of the Omaha as it takes away 2 main guns in exchange of a little bit more AA.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Also, dont mount the the last hull of the Omaha as it takes away 2 main guns in exchange of a little bit more AA.

What the stat don't tells you is that it will actually give your better armor.....

Beta Tester
17 posts
1,167 battles

What the stat don't tells you is that it will actually give your better armor.....

Eh, really? Interesting, may mount it on for some games then.

Beta Tester
17 posts
1,167 battles

I already upgrade it.... QAQ

You can always mount the older hull by clicking it then clicking MOUNT. But yeah, I kinda like having more main guns on my ships

25 posts
1,923 battles

http://wowsdb.info/ship/omaha

This site said same armor but different in number of guns.

and from this post what is switch line?

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

http://wowsdb.info/ship/omaha

This site said same armor but different in number of guns.

and from this post what is switch line?

I'm not sure what were they talking about better armor, but I guess it's about the angling of the ship's front hull from the last hull upgrade that increases armor angling effectiveness.

Nothing about switching line, you can play both. Some people focuses on 1 line before switching to other, but quite a number of other people play all lines and don't focus on any particular one.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Actually, from experience trading 1 gun and 1 torpedo tube set per side is no big loss - You NEED AA

Seriously, its very rare to have the chance to use torpedoes and having better AA (40mm Bofors and 20mm Oerlikon are AA kings) will make a difference at that tier where CV captains are still learning the trade but dominating the battle as most ships have little to no AA *Cough Arkansas Beta*  and attack ships with impunity

Beta Tester
4 posts
528 battles

I think Ill wait for Maya which will probably downgraded to tier 7 because of loosing main gun for extra AA gun. Or Takao which probably became British premium. Or Choukai which ammo racked by carrier gun.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

And.... what upgrade that need for Omaha between increase AA range or Increase Reload main gun speed?

My Murmansk use increase Range but it look quiet hard to shot down bomber...

Yes - but your fellow *Cough* Stock Myogi *Cough* Arkansas *Even more Cough* Ishizuchi *Cough*.........God these Weather man...... Sorry back on topic - The BBs will really appreciate you for helping out despite the effectiveness. Help is Help after all right?

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

I think Ill wait for Maya which will probably downgraded to tier 7 because of loosing main gun for extra AA gun. Or Takao which probably became British premium. Or Choukai which ammo racked by carrier gun.

It's unlikely any of them will be added, there are already ships that are more or less the same as the other Takao-class ships, between the Myoko, Mogami and Atago there really is no need to add more ships that are almost the same.

Then again, this is WG we are talking about, who are planning to add a third Omaha-class Cruiser into the game, so who knows.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Yes - but your fellow *Cough* Stock Myogi *Cough* Arkansas *Even more Cough* Ishizuchi *Cough*.........God these Weather man...... Sorry back on topic - The BBs will really appreciate you for helping out despite the effectiveness. Help is Help after all right?

I guess us pubbies will simply have to wait for the day WG makes AA work worthwhile, until then someone should form a dedicated AA clan - WARSHIPS OF ST JOHN, protecting the fleet from air attacks! - or in Alvins case spreading freedom :P

189 posts
4,857 battles

Preview:

Mogami-class cruiser is a development from the Takao-class cruiser (which consists of the Atago in real life)

Atago's advantage over Mogami:

-Slightly farther firing range (0.7 km farther, which is minor difference)

-Slightly better turret traverse than Mogami (29.03 seconds for 180 degrees rotation compared to 30 seconds for Mogami's 23mm guns and 51.43 seconds for stock 155mm guns)

-Shorter surface detection range (11.9 km compared to 12.1 km which is also minor dfference)

-As a premium ship, Atago is sold in elite configuration and gives more credits and is able to be bought by anyone who has money

-Faster rudder shift time (8.1s compared to 9.3s)

-Is slightly faster (35.5 knots comprared to 34.5)

-Better deck armor

Mogami's advantage over Atago:

-Faster rate of fire (4 rounds per minute per barrel for 203mm compared to 3.8 on the Atago and 6 rounds per minute on stock 155mm) not to mention Mogami fires a full broadside of 15 shells compared to Atago

-Has a torpedo firing arc where both tubes on a side can be fired towards the same place whilst each angle on Atago can fire only one tube

-Better citadel armor

-Slightly shorter air detection range (8.5 km compared to 8.7)

-Somehow more effective AA

451 posts
6,946 battles

one thing that's a bugger, and it's the huge weak citadel area. in many situations where myoko can angle to save her ass, the atago CANNOT. 

Sign in to follow this