You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Cotton_Head

More Realism Please

24 comments in this topic

1 post
234 battles

I love this game but I think that being able to see the big artillery shells flying through the air makes it far too easy to play.  Why not make the artillery shells invisible when they are in flight?  That way we would have to carefully watch for the 'fall of shot' just like they did in reality.  It would be even more fun when the target is under fire from multiple friendlies.  

Beta Tester
317 posts
953 battles

I love this game but I think that being able to see the big artillery shells flying through the air makes it far too easy to play.  Why not make the artillery shells invisible when they are in flight?  That way we would have to carefully watch for the 'fall of shot' just like they did in reality.  It would be even more fun when the target is under fire from multiple friendlies.  

Then it would be nearly impossible to differentiate the shots between different ships, unless every ships use colored dyed shell like japanese battleships during WW2. i.e if there are 24 ships in one match there should be 24 different colors for each ship. Imagine that.

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

I wonder how long it'll take for people to realise the only realistic thing in this game is the ships stock configurations and some second configurations

the rest is all fantasy

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

Well, from the books I read about Jutland, sailors said they can see the black dots of death flying across the sky.

WG's just replicating that and added tracer function. If not, how are you going to range in?

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
944 posts
5,645 battles

Yes, Tracer could be used on naval shell, nothing new, dates back to the use of solid shot, if you used a tracer it was referred to as a shell instead of shot back then.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Realism hey? Play War ______ Tanks and play World of Tanks again - see which one you prefer. SlidingMasterRace Tanks (That is Arcade only) vs Unhistorical but at least Fun tanks - which one you prefer?

Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Realism hey? Play War ______ Tanks and play World of Tanks again - see which one you prefer. SlidingMasterRace Tanks (That is Arcade only) vs Unhistorical but at least Fun tanks - which one you prefer?

Hey the real question there is.... play long or play a little fast?

World of Tanks and World of Warships are arcade-based action game. So you won't be playing 30 minutes in World of Tanks.

Edited by Mingfang47

Beta Tester
19 posts
249 battles

Realism is overrated. 

Oh come on! Imagine how much better the game would be if we had some realistic naval tradition in there

I say the next patch should include portions of rum for the crew, scurvy and the lash! :izmena:

Edited by Gun_Go_Boom

Super Tester
1,779 posts
328 battles

Oh come on! Imagine how much better the game would be if we had some realistic naval tradition in there

AP's will either rip your hull, or leave a nasty hole everywhere which could ruin every module you have on your ship, not to mention if the AP rounds hit your turret and disable it for the rest of the match.

HE's will literally destroy all of your AA mounts if you got hit where your AA's are placed leaving your ship without AA's to defend off against air borne attacks

Torpedoes will leave a nasty hole on your hull that will drastically lower your speed for the entire match even if you managed to stop the flooding (add 3 or more torpedo hits) will drastically reduce the speed of your ship to a crawl which basically is your just dead on the water and vulnerable from other ships or worse, planes

Buoyancy will also kick in, like if you failed to stop the flooding on your ship, you basically capsize and sink instantly, even with one torpedo hit.

:v

Alpha Tester
266 posts
3,486 battles

Gameplay > Realism

On serious note, I have not seen any written doc that Large Caliber Naval Projectiles have tracers, although tracers were very handy in terms of correcting fire

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I say the next patch should include portions of rum for the crew, scurvy and the lash! :izmena:

you can have the scurvy and lash, I'll have the rum thanks ;)

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

From what I'd read (can't remember source) the whole purpose of gun directors on ships was to see where the shells fell. One of the main reasons why USN ships dropped the use of secondary gun batteries and just went with mains and AA was to reduce confusion for spotters in identifying which shells fell where so as to increase the accuracy of fire.

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

But assuming that my information is wrong Let's say your idea is implemented and we're all firing invisi- shells you're in a battle with five BB in either team and at a range of about 18kms you see an enemy BB everyone on your team begins firing at the spotted ship. Getting the range is not too difficult as you have the horizontal bar on your aiming reticule, the only real problem you face is how much lead do you give?

No problem you say except that with every one firing invisi- shells how do you know which shells are hitting you won't be able to tell if it's your shells or your ally that may be in front of you or beside you, all you'll see is shells splashing in the water with no way to tell whether it was your shells or one of your allies you will find it very difficult to judge if you've given enough lead on the enemy ship.

Edited by Epicurus_

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
944 posts
5,645 battles

From what I'd read (can't remember source) the whole purpose of gun directors on ships was to see where the shells fell. One of the main reasons why USN ships dropped the use of secondary gun batteries and just went with mains and AA was to reduce confusion for spotters in identifying which shells fell where so as to increase the accuracy of fire.

That was more of a problem with the per-dreadnought as you had mixed main guns ie. 12in and 10in working at same time and giving a splash of much the same size, which would give the range finders (spotters) problems trying to pick between the two.