FishyPower

Tips on what shell to use.

24 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,216 battles

I think this is for newcomers. Please help me move if its in the wrong place.

Well, what shell to use? Use shell oil XD

But seriously. What I do is actually fire a few volleys of HE shell at the opponent before hitting them with AP on the parts that are blackened. Another rule that I use is that I will fire AP immediately if its a destroyer or if its a lower tier cruiser. One tip for switching shell. When you are firing HE, after shooting say 3 of the 4 volleys you want to shoot, press 2 once while your 4 volley is shooting. Also, when using that tip, remember to wait for all guns to load (turn green) before shooting.

Good luck, sailling and sinking XD

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

...this is really odd advice you're giving.

1. Hitting spots that have been previously damaged has no effect on whether follow up AP salvoes can penetrate. 

2. Firing AP at a destroyer isn't really optimal - most destroyers are comparatively unarmoured and apart from a good 5" gun spread (from other destroyers), it won't do much damage. HE is always better against destroyers in general.

3. Attacking cruisers...

(a) As a battleship - fire AP and aim to have the shells slam into their hulls near the midsection (under the funnels). Hitting a cruiser's citadels with AP can take massive chunks out of their hitpoints, or oneshot them if two or three shells hit. Only fire HE if your guns were already loaded with HE, and reload the next salvo with AP. Avoid mixing salvoes at this point - AP is almost always better against cruisers and other battleships when you're a battleship.

(b) As a cruiser - fire AP at other cruisers, same as above, for the same reasons. Reload HE only against destroyers or battleships.

© As a destroyer, always fire HE. It is *possible* for a destroyer to fire AP at cruiser and get damaging hits from really, really close ranges, but its not really optimal (and more often than not, it'll bounce or do minimal damage). The sole exception to this is the premium Gremyaschy, who actually works really well firing AP at cruisers.

4. Double click to fire broadsides. Firing each turret/gun individually isn't really good unless you're trying to hose down a battleship with HE and set multiple fires. 

Edited by Syanda

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

...this is really odd advice you're giving.

1. Hitting spots that have been previously damaged has no effect on whether follow up AP salvoes can penetrate. 

2. Firing AP at a destroyer isn't really optimal - most destroyers are comparatively unarmoured and apart from a good 5" gun spread (from other destroyers), it won't do much damage. HE is always better against destroyers in general.

3. Attacking cruisers...

(a) As a battleship - fire AP and aim to have the shells slam into their hulls near the midsection (under the funnels). Hitting a cruiser's citadels with AP can take massive chunks out of their hitpoints, or oneshot them if two or three shells hit. Only fire HE if your guns were already loaded with HE, and reload the next salvo with AP. Avoid mixing salvoes at this point - AP is almost always better against cruisers and destroyers when you're a battleship.

(b) As a cruiser - fire AP at other cruisers, same as above, for the same reasons. Reload HE only against destroyers or battleships.

© As a destroyer, always fire HE. It is *possible* for a destroyer to fire AP at cruiser and get damaging hits from really, really close ranges, but its not really optimal (and more often than not, it'll bounce or do minimal damage). The sole exception to this is the premium Gremyaschy, who actually works really well firing AP at cruisers.

4. Double click to fire broadsides. Firing each turret/gun individually isn't really good unless you're trying to hose down a battleship with HE and set multiple fires. 

1. It always been like this to Health based Unit in many games

2. Small Caliber AP still effective against Destroyer

3. .....

4. If you using fast hitting Cruiser, Firing individually is tiring but effective especially when using Small caliber HE

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

AP is almost always better against cruisers and destroyers when you're a battleship.

hmmmm ??? didn't Battleship AP mostly goes throgh the DD hull and do less damage ?

for me just think easier way : use AP when you against same type of your ship. HE on other ...
But I still don't know about what shell when DD vs. DD, cas It end too quick and mostly it decide with torp...

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

hmmmm ??? didn't Battleship AP mostly goes throgh the DD hull and do less damage ?

for me just think easier way : use AP when you against same type of your ship. HE on other ...

But I still don't know about what shell when DD vs. DD, cas It end too quick and mostly it decide with torp...

:hiding:

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

DD doesn't have citadel, let alone any armor. Using AP on them by any mean is a waste. :hiding:

However, even 14-inch/356mm shells that overpen still deal 1k damage, toss enough of them at DD and they'll sink anyway.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

DD doesn't have citadel, let alone any armor. Using AP on them by any mean is a waste. :hiding:

However, even 14-inch/356mm shells that overpen still deal 1k damage, toss enough of them at DD and they'll sink anyway.

I'll fire AP at IJN DD's from a USN DD - rip through their health ;)

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Edit: I Posted about iChase Gamings AP vs HE video but i didnt realized  Gezeiten_Heimatwelt beat me to the punch :(

:hiding:

I'll fire AP at IJN DD's from a USN DD - rip through their health ;)

HE and AP shells on DD have roughly same max damage, why bother AP when you can crit them to death with HE?

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

Hang about did you edit Syanda's post? nvm

AP is almost always better against cruisers and other battleships when you're a battleship.

Edited by Epicurus_

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,216 battles

Hey please, no haters. This is my opinion and cause I usually use the St Louis, so to me I feel that AP works well on DDs. After 8 guns aimmed at the DD 2 salvo to kill max. And usually I one hit them with AP loaded. I wrote this guide based on my observations, and this are the rules I stick to, cause I usually launch 2 salvos of HE at other cruisers before spamming AP at the blackened part, and this works for me. I don't know why but I find some guides just weird. Like aim AP at the sides of a ship.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

What works for you is may not what is optimal, nor what is actually happeningg.

The reason why it's not the best to fire AP at destroyers is due to overpenetration mechanics - destroyers have extremely little armour, if any at all, and AP shells will do only 10% of listed damage if they overpenetrate. This is compared to a full damage roll for HE shells hitting the relatively unarmoured destroyers, coupled with the bonus capability of damaging multiple modules. A destroyer with its engines knocked out repeatedly by HE shellfire is doomed.

I have not been able to replicate the "Fire HE, then fire AP at the blackened sections". As far as I'm aware, this mechanic isn't in the game. You should probably just fire AP purely and adjust your aim to ensure they're landing at the hull/citadel zones. HE is more situational when against cruisers - for example, if you're trying to set fires or knock out specific modules/turrets/AAguns to aid a teammate, and frankly isn't as good as simply killing cruisers with AP.

Finally, correcting misconceptions is not "hating" on you. I've already seen some misinformation spread among new players (such as the notion that slowing down improves your accuracy - it does not), and I'd rather not have more spreading around.

Edited by Syanda

25 posts
15 battles

Hey please, no haters. This is my opinion and cause I usually use the St Louis, so to me I feel that AP works well on DDs. After 8 guns aimmed at the DD 2 salvo to kill max. And usually I one hit them with AP loaded. I wrote this guide based on my observations, and this are the rules I stick to, cause I usually launch 2 salvos of HE at other cruisers before spamming AP at the blackened part, and this works for me. I don't know why but I find some guides just weird. Like aim AP at the sides of a ship.

Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks. Open em up with a few AP, wreck the armour then finish with HE

rinse and repeat.... My own method, seems to work. should not need AP with smaller less armoured ships like DD's though..

Just saying...

:medal:  AP rounds can go right through a DD...  Saw a sabot round go clean through a t 55 once. for real, not in a game.....

that was the hull too, front to back...    LoL....

Edited by fluffy723

8 posts

I used to fire broadside all at once with my BB Wyoming at 10-11kms and would hit the enemy at avg. 2-3 hits. I fire single shots now with average 1sec interval and would usually average to 35 hits in a game. I will only fire broadside all-at-once at closer ranges.

423 posts
3,175 battles

So why Cheatland was considered an HE Only Ship? Could it do better with AP loaded and bangin' on other Cleveland?

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

So why Cheatland was considered an HE Only Ship? Could it do better with AP loaded and bangin' on other Cleveland?

Yes with AP you still can deal some good DMG to other Cleveland's around. Honestly I only used the HE shells in the Cleveland when fighting BB's or DD's. For cruisers I still stick to AP

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Rate of fire. Cleveland's 155mms don't have very good penetration - they're good against other cruisers at <10km range if you know how to aim, but mostly pointless against anything else. But Cleveland has four triple turrets and can spam HE shells to the point that it can set most ships completely ablaze and knock out many key modules, allowing it to deal incredible amounts of damage from HE spam.