Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Minion_Binocular

Possible In Game Music Copywrite Violation

10 comments in this topic

4 posts
200 battles

Not sure if this is the right thread to place this in however here goes.

I've been playing WoW for a few days and have been enjoying it. Yet as I have been playing I've of course listening to the in game battle music and I have to say there are some remarkable similarities to other pieces of music already written. 

I make this post and hope that WG pays attention because unless they've licensed or paid a royalty fee to the composers of the tracks then there is a distinct possibility that they could be sued for copywrite infringement. Don't rush to dismiss this btw - famous musicians and artists have been successfully sued for just only having a few bars of music that sounds like an original piece.

There are at least 3 themes/tracks which I believe are the most obvious copies and who ever WG hired to compose the music for WoW has lifted and pretty music copied and mashed up to be the in game battle music. 

The themes I believe are copies are as follows so listen yourselves and make up your own minds:

1st -  From the Dr Who sound track - The Majestic Tale (of a Madman in a Box)

2nd - Terminator 2 - Terminator 2: Theme [you can hear that cadence beat quite clearly in the game]  

3rd - The Dark Knight Rises - Main Theme "Rise" 

I may be wrong however I do know for a fact that record labels take this thing VERY seriously and if they believe that their music copywrite has been infringed then there is a dam good chance they will do something about it.

And btw, if you don't like the message - DILLIGAF

Alpha Tester
265 posts

I don think sound similar is copyright infringement. unless WG directly put the original piece without the original artist consent.

There are many other musician or composer who draw inspiration from others

And is kinda ironic you use a youtube link. Technically putting those music on youtube without their artist consent is copyright infringement itself.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Naaah. Just coincidence the theme (either theme song for death, battle, air cruising, etc.) of the music fits some certain aspect of the WoWS' BGM. No one can copyright theme of the music, as if you are saying car companies should be charged for copyright infringement for making a wheel.

Of course, big-profile company like WG won't let that happen.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Most modern music derive their influences from the same sources, any similarities is likely to be coincidental.

I can't really hear any clear ripoffs from the stuff you linked.

4 posts
200 battles

I don think sound similar is copyright infringement. 

Wrong - oh so wrong.

Recent Examples - Robin Thicke was successfully sued by Marvin Gaye's estate for infringement for the song Blurred Lines - credible article here:  http://blog.oup.com/2015/03/blurred-lines-copyright-infringement/

Men At Work were successfully sued for the song "Down Under"  - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-02-04/men-at-work-plundered-kookaburra-riff-court/321624

Here are a few more examples were this has gone bad for other artists:   http://www.fairwagelawyers.com/most-famous-music-copyright-infringment.html

Whether its co-incidence or not, people have been sued in the past for this. 

Oh and implying that I am a part of the infringement by posting up youtube links is ridiculous.  I have not infringed any copy write and it's up to the rights holders to send out a take down notice to youtube and the individual channel holders to have those tracks removed. I put them up so people could listen to them and make up their own minds. How else was I going to demonstrate the similarities? 

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

If you think WG has conducted copyright infringement, pass the relevant information to support or see a CR lawyer, either way, this is not the place to discuss it.

Love the word on the last line by the way, wonders why you went to the trouble if that is your outlook on the situation

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

OP, there is only a certain number of permutations you can have with re-arranging a melody composed in E minor. You're always inevitably going to come across music that sounds "similar", the upper ceiling of human creativity is limited to other more theory-based limitations.

Read up a bit on the mathematical implications on music theory.

Finally, I'd like you to familiarise yourself with two legal terms: "Threshold of originality" and "Derivative work". A piece is not a copyright infringement if it passes the threshold of originality, and due to the shortcomings of most legal systems, this is determined in a manner which is largely subjective and dependent on the opinion of the lawmaker in charge of dealing with the complaint. Hence, you cannot use the earlier lawsuits that you've mentioned as a "precedent" given the unpredictability of case outcomes.

World of Tanks, World of Warships, The Tomorrow Children, World in Conflict, Mission to Moscow, Girls und Panzer, and even the 1980s edition of Tetris on the Spectrum-Holobyte system contains music that features a melody snippet from Polyushko-polye, a musical piece which is clearly not in the public domain. Would you consider each usage a violation, when there is clearly enough original "sweat of the brow" to make it a derivative work with enough originality?

Edited by benlisquare

1 post

The themes I believe are copies are as follows so listen yourselves and make up your own minds:

1st -  From the Dr Who sound track - The Majestic Tale (of a Madman in a Box)

2nd - Terminator 2 - Terminator 2: Theme [you can hear that cadence beat quite clearly in the game]  

3rd - The Dark Knight Rises - Main Theme "Rise" 

I may be wrong however I do know for a fact that record labels take this thing VERY seriously and if they believe that their music copywrite has been infringed then there is a dam good chance they will do something about it.

And btw, if you don't like the message - DILLIGAF

you forgot 

4. Scooter- How much is the fish ( yeah i know they probably stole it from somewhere, as they always do) :D

Edited by Andrew_Jamieson

Sign in to follow this