Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
brokenbackdude

Help needed with the Langley

7 comments in this topic

2 posts
630 battles
Hi guys, I recently got the Langley, which is my first carrier, and I had no idea how to use it so as most people did I spammed buttons. Later after a few matches I got the hang of the controls and attempted to torpedo bomb other ships. At the start I used auto aim and that got me around 7 hits in total, probably because everybody are all noobs like me and didnt know on how to dodge them. After I that I tried manual aim because auto aim didnt work on non-noobs and I was horrible with it cause I cant predict where the enemy ship will be and the fact that  I only get 1 squadron of bombers, unlike the Hosho, really annoyed me as I usually miss all torpedos and have to fly back and reload and by the time I do a second bomb run everybody is dead. Ive watched a few videos but i wouldlike to know how u guys use the Langley.

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

Please go to the Newplayers Zone and look for Guides. You can learn quite a bit there.

Agree and also to those players who think CV torpedo drops can't be avoided, please go to that forum as well

Back to the question - 

Manual aim really takes a lot of trial and error. For starters, never EVER put the base of the manual torpedo rectangle anywhere near your target ship.. The torpedo fuse would not have time to arm and all it does is to harmlessly knock against the hull.

If you're using torpedo-bomber CAG, don't send in both types at once. For me, I like to bomb them first and than torpedo them a short while later. Why? This would force players into a dilemma... Use repairs now or get burnt to death or use repairs now put out the fire and risk flooding damage from torpedoes. 

When it comes to target selection, pick out those lone BBs. They're sitting ducks. CLs and DDs, bombs are better but sometimes if you're lucky enough, auto torp drop might get them. Don't bother manual torpping those.

If you're a CV and that one other CV or 2 other CV on the enemy team only has a total torpedo-diver no fighter load out, hang your fighters at the fringes of their CV's AA range. In a way, you're suppressing their birds without actually shooting them. If they choose to send their birds, your fighters are ready to pounce on them the very moment their birds get into formation.

1,230 posts
2,387 battles

Lol, USN carriers in-game is for Air Supriority, not attack planes, if you want them attack planes, go for Imperial Navy

And please, read the newcomers guide, there's a lot of advice there

189 posts
4,857 battles

The only thing to help with manual aim is that you must try hard, but if you need just watch YouTubers playing American aircraft carriers (I've tried all American carriers in all kinds of configurations) and recognized that torpedo speed difference between Langley and Midway is insignificantly noticeable, so by learning how close people deploy torps you can easily figure out where to start punching non-noobs

Sign in to follow this