You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MasterWolf

Carrier Torps - Manual Drops are Broken

93 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
131 posts
1,557 battles

ok so just had 2 flights drop within 1km of me (one at 700m)

naturally no way in the world to avoid them

This really needs to be fixed - you have to have some change to evade or they are massively OP in sub tier 5 where AAA is mostly non-existant - esp on Japanese ships

A 1.5 or 2k limit would still see them damn dangerous but stop them being broken.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

ok so just had 2 flights drop within 1km of me (one at 700m)

naturally no way in the world to avoid them

This really needs to be fixed - you have to have some change to evade or they are massively OP in sub tier 5 where AAA is mostly non-existant - esp on Japanese ships

A 1.5 or 2k limit would still see them damn dangerous but stop them being broken.

They ain't Broken, The main problem is how WG calculate Rewards and the lack of Self-defense in Low Tiers.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Carrier auto and manual drops MUST be locked in by carrier commanders from over 1-2km out. It's not like they hit alt, drop here, and their planes drop their torpedoes instantly.

Learn to read the signs of an impending drop. If you're only starting to turn when you see the torpedo planes dip and perform their attack animation, it is way, way, way too late and means you ignored the torpedo bombers telegraphing their intention to attack.

Head over to the newcomers forum, I've got a short tutorial on torpedo avoidance there.

Alpha Tester
131 posts
1,557 battles

Carrier auto and manual drops MUST be locked in by carrier commanders from over 1-2km out. It's not like they hit alt, drop here, and their planes drop their torpedoes instantly.

Learn to read the signs of an impending drop. If you're only starting to turn when you see the torpedo planes dip and perform their attack animation, it is way, way, way too late and means you ignored the torpedo bombers telegraphing their intention to attack.

Head over to the newcomers forum, I've got a short tutorial on torpedo avoidance there.

Easy to say - not so easy to do when you are also watching the DD's for their torp tells at the same time

As Alvin pointed out the lack of AAA makes torps OP in low tiers

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

They ain't Broken, The main problem is how WG calculate Rewards and the lack of Self-defense in Low Tiers.

Easy to say - not so easy to do when you are also watching the DD's for their torp tells at the same time

As Alvin pointed out the lack of AAA makes torps OP in low tiers

How is it lack of self defense? Please tell me the plane speeds and the rate of ship sunk per game to back your statements, I'll let you use K/D even for the specific carriers and their total average damage.
Edited by Halken_Sky

61 posts
123 battles

nostalgic feeling of spg thread... but yeah GOOD cv player can chase and force some fast ship to the corner with thier torp... that's when the opness begin

but not all cv player can do that...

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

I spot torpedo planes coming at me

I then proceed to go in circles for the next 5minutes until the carrier pilot gets bored of me going in circles (sometimes in frustration he'll drop some torps which I'll either dodge or get hit by 1 or something)

There isn't much you can do in low tiers, tier 4 and tier 5 are pretty much food frenzy for carriers because everything except Yubari has an aa stat of 4

Edited by iLordShade

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

nostalgic feeling of spg thread... but yeah GOOD cv player can chase and force some fast ship to the corner with thier torp... that's when the opness begin

but not all cv player can do that...

But in the low tier ships without AAA not much other ships able to do even that player is a good BB or CA player, you cant kill the thing that you can't shoot right ? :D:D:D 

29 posts
850 battles

You can see planes from afar, try to sail to them if possible.

Is it practical? Yes, and no. If you are lucky you can minimize their dmg or completely avoid them.

However, those planes easily outrun you, circle around and hit you at your port or starboard as it happened to me.

It was a horrible moment when those planes drop torps 0.6 km away from my port....

--------------------

Also, It is true that AA in T5 or lower sucks and barely do anything even 2BB + 2CA can't do anything much. :amazed:

Edited by Menrva_Scarlet

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

I spot torpedo planes coming at me

I then proceed to go in circles for the next 5minutes until the carrier pilot gets bored of me going in circles (sometimes in frustration he'll drop some torps which I'll either dodge or get hit by 1 or something)

There isn't much you can do in low tiers, tier 4 and tier 5 are pretty much food frenzy for carriers because everything except Yubari has an aa stat of 4

That CV captain must be rather incompetent. When I was in my Hosho, I predict what direction the target is turning and intercept it.

Ofcourse it only works on targets with bad AA, but that's most of tier4 ships and below anyway :hiding:

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

That CV captain must be rather incompetent. When I was in my Hosho, I predict what direction the target is turning and intercept it.

Ofcourse it only works on targets with bad AA, but that's most of tier4 ships and below anyway :hiding:

you mean every single ship except Yubari at tier 4

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

How is it lack of self defense? Please tell me the plane speeds and the rate of ship sunk per game to back your statements, I'll let you use K/D even for the specific carriers and their total average damage.

Pre-Caution Movements, Emergency Turns can only work for seconds - which is very useful for High Tiers BBs as the planes will stay in AA Zone for longer Hence shooting down some of it. Lower Tiers do not.

Cruisers at Tier 5 or lower does not have enough Firepower to hell even protect themselves not to mention protecting you.

Say when you're in a Arkansas you had NO defense no matter what. Also Don't put up argument I never play BB before - Myogi before back in the days had No AA - Hopeless against anyone trying to Torp you. Arkansas is Slower, Longer Turn time and had Zero AA as well.

Oh you said the regular ship is better? Yes - Except their DPS is still so low that it's still lackluster despite all the evasion.

Also, you are using Data to back yourself up - Data is useful, but is it the ONLY balancing Parameter?

Every Single CV post I see you defending it Halken. I respect your opinion, but you are refusing to admit the problem is there and Every Single Post you use the excuse of "Try it Before complaining" to defend it. BS. Does I need to be Lionel Messi or Ronaldo to say someone is playing badly in a football match?

Unless WG change how they calculate reward the complain will still be there. There's no point of defending your team. I'd already propose before, Remove Langley and Hosho From the Tech Tree and put it as a Tier 5 Premium. These two are completely dominating Low Tier's match. High Tiers are Fine as it is, though, I had to make this clear.

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

Try to play a carrier first before making any more of these threads.

These threads are going to confuse all the new players.

cv are easy to play 

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

that doesnt  work , just re position your planes
Edited by kongman

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

Honestly if tier 3-4 ships had better AA we'd have less CV OP threads. hell the tier 1 ships have better AA than tier 3-4 ships i think?

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

cv are easy to play 

CV are not easy to play. CV are just as hard to play in Tier 6 or above as before. But Low Tiers are where the problem is.

Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

nostalgic feeling of spg thread...

SMEaTEN.jpg

Honestly if tier 3-4 ships had better AA we'd have less CV OP threads. hell the tier 1 ships have better AA than tier 3-4 ships i think?

We would also have less CV OP threads if people would stop sailing in a straight line when bombers appear on the minimap at around 10km range.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

We would also have less CV OP threads if people would stop sailing in a straight line when bombers appear on the minimap at around 10km range.

:great:

Although not very applicable below Tier 5. But Indeed this is pretty much why I think High Tiers CV are Fine while Low tiers isn't.

Your little cartoon make me chuckle - Cant believe so many people still whine about SPG BTW. :D

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Pre-Caution Movements, Emergency Turns can only work for seconds - which is very useful for High Tiers BBs as the planes will stay in AA Zone for longer Hence shooting down some of it. Lower Tiers do not.

Cruisers at Tier 5 or lower does not have enough Firepower to hell even protect themselves not to mention protecting you.

Say when you're in a Arkansas you had NO defense no matter what. Also Don't put up argument I never play BB before - Myogi before back in the days had No AA - Hopeless against anyone trying to Torp you. Arkansas is Slower, Longer Turn time and had Zero AA as well.

Oh you said the regular ship is better? Yes - Except their DPS is still so low that it's still lackluster despite all the evasion.

Also, you are using Data to back yourself up - Data is useful, but is it the ONLY balancing Parameter?

Every Single CV post I see you defending it Halken. I respect your opinion, but you are refusing to admit the problem is there and Every Single Post you use the excuse of "Try it Before complaining" to defend it. BS. Does I need to be Lionel Messi or Ronaldo to say someone is playing badly in a football match?

Unless WG change how they calculate reward the complain will still be there. There's no point of defending your team. I'd already propose before, Remove Langley and Hosho From the Tech Tree and put it as a Tier 5 Premium. These two are completely dominating Low Tier's match. High Tiers are Fine as it is, though, I had to make this clear.

Yes because stats are the backbone of what we CV players love to look at, and as usual I will explain in detail of how a tier 4 langley tries to get a kill.

Of course lets not forget the plane and carrier statistics which can be found here

First at the start of the match there is a 30 second servicing time for the planes to be ready to take off, next a 10 second take off animation time per plane squadron.

Next due to the slow plane flying speed it takes about 2-3 minutes just for the planes to fly across the map to a single enemy ship, this travel time also applies for the travel back if the squadron is not lost after it drops the payload.

Now it takes about 10 seconds in animation for a squadron to land as well, and a 30 seconds servicing time before it can take off again.

Lets add these numbers up: 30 sec + 10 sec x 2 ( 2 plane squads on a langley) + 2-3 min x 2 + 10 sec + 30 sec = 6-7min 30 sec for a bomber run. Take into account that a game match can only last 20 minutes max.

Not to add in the additional fighter squad which also needs to land once it runs out of ammo which may affect the timings.

Now go back to the link I attached above and look at the plane capacity for a fully upgraded tier 4 CV, now think through how many squadrons are there available for the CV player to user per game. And lastly imagine that your team has a carrier too and had his fighters on defence around your ship.

Edited by Halken_Sky

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Yes because stats are the backbone of what we CV players love to look at, and as usual I will explain in detail of how a tier 4 langley tries to get a kill.

Of course lets not forget the plane and carrier statistics which can be found here

First at the start of the match there is a 30 second servicing time for the planes to be ready to take off, next a 10 second take off animation time per plane squadron.

Next due to the slow plane flying speed it takes about 2-3 minutes just for the planes to fly across the map to a single enemy ship, this travel time also applies for the travel back if the squadron is not lost after it drops the payload.

Now it takes about 10 seconds in animation for a squadron to land as well, and a 30 seconds servicing time before it can take off again.

Lets add these numbers up: 30 sec + 10 sec x 2 ( 2 plane squads on a langley) + 2-3 min x 2 + 10 sec + 30 sec = 6-7min 30 sec for a bomber run. Take into account that a game match can only last 20 minutes max.

Not to add in the additional fighter squad which also needs to land once it runs out of ammo which may affect the timings.

Now go back to the link I attached above and look at the plane capacity for a fully upgraded tier 4 CV, now think through how many squadrons are there available for the CV player to user per game. And lastly imagine that your team has a carrier too and had his fighters on defence around your ship.

2-3 Minute to fly across the map is a bit exaggerating. ~1.5 Minute or so. Travelling back is Faster as well. One Bombing run is more like 5 Minute Per Run.

Also, Relying on Random Teammate is a Very Good Idea indeed.

But Thats not the problem I had. CV had never been a "DPM" thing.

I say once again that I think High Tier CVs are Fine as it is - Because there's way to deal with them. Low Tiers? Nope. You can do NOTHING to stop one to attack you. 

People complain how OP SPG is in Tanks - Because these people sit there and not moving ; In High Tiers ships had enough AA and time to at least weaken the attack wave if he had good situation awareness. It's Inevitable under Tier 5. Thats my biggest complaint.

I am not a CV hater - in fact I Liked them as they gave the game something different instead of Kemping Blue Line and playing Pew Pew shooter. But I just do not think it's fair to allow such happening in low tiers - Especially it's the place where all the noobs (Me) are. The Guy in a CV in a Tier 4/5 battle is easier to play say a guy in a DD or any ship really.

Edited by Alvin1020

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

2-3 Minute to fly across the map is a bit exaggerating. ~1.5 Minute or so. Travelling back is Faster as well. One Bombing run is more like 5 Minute Per Run.

Also, Relying on Random Teammate is a Very Good Idea indeed.

But Thats not the problem I had. CV had never been a "DPM" thing.

I say once again that I think High Tier CVs are Fine as it is - Because there's way to deal with them. Low Tiers? Nope. You can do NOTHING to stop one to attack you. 

People complain how OP SPG is in Tanks - Because these people sit there and not moving ; In High Tiers ships had enough AA and time to at least weaken the attack wave if he had good situation awareness. It's Inevitable under Tier 5. Thats my biggest complaint.

I am not a CV hater - in fact I Liked them as they gave the game something different instead of Kemping Blue Line and playing Pew Pew shooter. But I just do not think it's fair to allow such happening in low tiers - Especially it's the place where all the noobs (Me) are. The Guy in a CV in a Tier 4/5 battle is easier to play say a guy in a DD or any ship really.

I am currently in a ranger in a match and the 5 minutes travel time only applies to this tier. Either I am seeing things or:amazed:.

P.S. too add more salt, to be salty it's the same map fault line.

Edited by Halken_Sky

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

I am currently in a ranger in a match and the 5 minutes travel time only applies to this tier. Either I am seeing things or:amazed:.

Maps are smaller, and low tiers usually invovle more rushing (Because Thats just what people do from my limited experience) than High Tiers (Played a few games in the Sims - Like 1/3 of the Teams are camping Blue line :sceptic:).

And BBs tend to be more singled out (i.e. in more advance positions) as people don't have the idea of a proper "Fleet" yet (Which is crucial as you need more AA fire).

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

And BBs tend to be more singled out (i.e. in more advance positions) as people don't have the idea of a proper "Fleet" yet (Which is crucial as you need more AA fire).

I like the formation where cruisers at the front engaging other cruisers while me sitting at the back in my Warspite, sipping a cup of tea, picking target as I wish.

It's a blast when without coordination, your teammates naturally formed a fleet. I think i cried when i saw that. We won the match of course, the enemy was spread out and we picked them one by one. :teethhappy: