dead_man_walking

Your Commanders

29 comments in this topic

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

NOTE THIS GUIDE IS OUT OF DATE AND NOT APPLICABLE FOR 0.5.3 

UPDATED FOR 0.5.3.0 CHANGES.  

(Historical changes remain as they were just struck through)

Edit - skills as at patch 0.5.3.0 (23/2/2016)

Unlike WoT you only get 1 crew member that encompasses all of the skills your ship will need.

Your Commander/Captain/Commanding Officer

When you first start out, you won't have any access to do anything with them.

It will just be a name and a picture and not a lot more.

Once you reach player level 5 6 7 you unlock the ability to use the CO and more importantly the skills.

Skills:

There are 5 levels of skills, corresponding to the number of points needed to unlock or use that skill.  Your CO can only ever earn a maximum of 20 skill points.  As you battle, not only do you earn ship XP, player XP and free XP you also earn CO XP.   As your commander progresses the amount of XP required to unlock the next skill increases.

1st = 1200 CO XP                                            11th = 53000 CO XP

2nd = 1300 CO XP                                           12th = 74000 CO XP

3rd = 1500 CO XP                                            13th = 102000 CO XP

4th = 2100 CO XP                                            14th = 136000 CO XP

5th = 3400 CO XP                                            15th = 179000 CO XP

6th = 5800 CO XP                                            16th = 231000 CO XP

7th = 9600 CO XP                                            17th = 294000 CO XP

8th = 16000 CO XP                                          18th = 369000 CO XP

9th = 25000 CO XP                                          19th = 9999999 CO XP!!!!

10th =  37000 CO XP

(credit to Gunduck for the points required)

The skills are broken into 6 areas/spheres of influence.

• Artillery;
  • Secondary Armament;
  • Ship Survivability;
  • Concealment and Acquisition;
  • Aircraft; &
  • Special Skills.
  Artillery Secondary Armament Ship Survivability Concealment and Acquisition Aircraft Special Skills
1 Expert Loader: Basic Firing Training: Basics of Survivability: Situational Awareness: Expert Rear Gunner:  

-30%

-50% to reload time when shell type is switched

-10% to reload time of guns with caliber of up to 155139mm and secondary battery guns of any cailber -15% to time of repair, fire extinguishing and recovery from flooding An indicator is displayed when your ship is detected by an enemy ship or aircraft +10% to efficiency of self-defence armament for aircraft with rear gunners  
    +10% to AA efficieny        
2 Aiming Expert: Torpedo Armament Expertise: Fire Prevention: Incoming Fire Alert:   Last Stand:
  +2.5deg/s to aiming speed of guns with caliber of up to 155 139mm -10% to reloading time of torpedo tubes -7% to chance of fire Indicator of long-range enemy artillery fire   The ship remains able to move and maneuver with the engine or steering gears critically damaged
  +0.7deg/s to aiming speed of guns with caliber of above 155 139mm -10% -20% to servicing time of torpedo bombers        
3   Torpedo Acceleration High Alert: Vigilance: Dogfighting Expert: Superintendent:
    +5 knots to torpedo speed
-20% to torpedo range
-10% to reload time of the Damage Control Party consumable +20% +25% to acquisition range of torpedoes Improves the combat performance of fighters 
+100% to combat performance of fighters for each tier of difference between them
+1 additional charge to all consumables mounted on a ship
4 Demolition Expert: Advanced Firing Training:

Last Stand:

Survivability Expert

Aircraft Servicing Expert: Manual Fire Control for AA Armament
  +3% to chance of fire on target caused by a shell or bomb +20% to firing range of main guns with caliber of up to 155 139mm and all secondary guns

+400 of HP for each ship tier

The ship remains able to move and maneuver with the engine or steering gears critically damaged

+5% to aircraft survivability of carrier-based aircraft +100% to the efficiency of AA guns with a caliber exceeding 85mm against a designated target 
    +20% to AA defense firing range     -10% to servicing time of all carrier-based aircraft  
5 Last Chance: Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament Preventative Maintenance: Concealment Expert: Air Supremacy: Jack of all Trades:
  -9%  -30% to reload time of all types of armament if the ship's HP is less than 20% 10% -15% to the maximum dispersion of shells for the secondary armament of tier I-VI ships -34% -50% to chance of incapacitation of modules -10% to detectability of DD +1 fighter -10% -15% to reload time of all mounted consumables
    -60% to the maximum dispersion of shells for the secondary armament of Tier VII-X ships   -12% to detectability of CA +1 bomber  
        -14% to detectability of BB    
        -16% to detectability of CV    

There is another catch to the skills progression.  You have to progress!  You can’t grind up 5 points on your commander and just select a tier 5 skill.  You MUST select a skill from the preceding level first.  I.E. to use a tier 5 skill you must have at least 1 tier 1 skill, 1 tier 2 skill, 1 tier 3 skill and 1 tier 4 skill.  (Note: they do not need to be in the same sphere of influence.)

Oops I made a mistake and want to start again!  OK no problem.  Cough up 25 doubloons per skill point that has been assigned and click the “redistribute skills button”. So if you have only assigned 1 skill point it will cost you 25 doubloons. If you have assigned 10 skill points it will cost you 250 doubloons.

CO Selection:

When you purchase a new ship, by default you will be purchasing a new CO as well. If you are planning on re-using your commander from the previous ship, select the drop down next to “with commander” and select “without commander”.  If you want a new CO as you are keeping the previous ship, you will be prompted to select a training level for your new CO.  Three options:

• 7525 Doubloons = +3 Skill points,
  • for 10,000 Credits = +1 Skill point, and
  • Free = no Skill points.

To select a different CO for a ship.

1. In the Commander box on the right hand side of the screen, click assign commander.
  2. You then have the option of “from Reserve or From Other Ships”.
  3. Select the CO you want and click Yes on the confirmation box.
  4. You then need to retrain your commander.

Retrain again has 3 distinct options:

• 500 Doubloons = all skills working and you are training your CO again in the next battle.
  • 200,000 Credits = retraining time reduced by half.  Commander earns no XP and a 50% penalty is applied to skills.
  • Free =  Commander earns no XP and a 50% penalty is applied to skills.

Retraining your CO takes XP.  (I hear you go huh what? you just said that the CO earns no XP!).  Instead of earning XP towards a skill (this is the earns no XP part), you CO earns XP towards retraining.  The cost of retraining for free in XP is 50% of the XP required to gain the next skill point. So to retrain a CO who is working on their 1st Skill point, you would need them to earn 600 XP (1200 x 0.5), 2nd Skill point would be 650 XP and so on.   You can see what the retraining XP cost would be if you hover over the Commander’s picture before assigning them to the ship. Note that there is a penalty for not retraining/using a commander not trained for that particular ship. Also note that your commanders don't have a lot of ability in the memory department, once they are retrained for a new ship they forget everything they knew about the previous ship(s) and MUST be retrained if you want to move them back!

Premium Ships

Premium ships are the exception to the retraining rule. There is no penalty for using a commander from another ship of that nation in a premium ship without retraining (actually you can't retrain to a premium ship ;) ).  

Edited by dead_man_walking

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

edit - updated 23/02/2016

Class Guides

(I'm not doing the strike through for this part - there are too many changes ;) )

In the first post I went through the mechanics of the Commanders skills.

Here I'll give some BASIC guidance on how to use them (YMMV).  As always with any interwebz guide, do your own research and work out what will work for you.

Destroyers:

IMO there are 5 "gimmes" for DDs in the skills matrix:

Tier 1 - Situational Awareness (you need to know if you have been spotted)

Tier 2 - Last Stand (keep moving at all times)

Tier 3 - Superintendant (+1 charge to smoke and acceleration!)

Tier 4 - Survivability Expert (+400 HP per tier!)

Tier 5 - Concealment (+10% to concealment values)

to fill the gaps:

Leaves 5 points to play with (eventually!).  By that point in time you should have figured out your play style and be able to change this up as needed.

(actually you should have it worked out by the time you hit tier 4....)

Cruisers

Tier 1 - Basic Firing Training

Tier 2 - Last Stand

Tier 3 - Superintendent

Tier 4 - AA Cruisers take the AA Expert Skill, everyone else take Survivability Expert

Tier 5 - Jack of all Trades

with 5 points left to spend.

I take Jack of all Trades at 5 for the -10% reload on skills.  Having AA Barrage (or sonar), Catapult Fighter/Scout,  and HP Repair (tier 9+) available that much faster.

BattleShips:

Tier 1 - Basics of Survivability

Tier 2 - Fire PreventionAiming Expert

Tier 3 - Superintendent or High Alert

Tier 4 - Advanced Firing Training or Survivability Expert depending on your play style (if you like to get up close and personal I'd take AFT to improve the range of your secondaries)

Tier 5 - Preventative Maintenance or Secondaries Expert 

I prefer the -7% chance of fire over 0.7deg/sec aiming at tier 2.

The AA buff at tier 4 is a must.  Not only does it improve your AA abilities it impacts on your secondary guns to help deal with those pesky DD's that got through the cruiser screen.  

Carriers:

(credit Halken_Sky)

Tier 1 - Expert Rear Gunner

Tier 2 - Torpedo Armament Expertise

Tier 3 - DogFighting Expertise

Tier 4 - Aircraft Servicing Expert

Tier 5 - Air Supremacy

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Wow What !?
Basic Firing Training: -10% to reload time of guns with caliber of up to 155mm

... is it only secondary gun that count ? Did it will be apply to DD main gun too as well ? since the thier Biggest gun is still below 155mm cas I already train my DD comander that skill and never notice the change

and it also the same with 

Advanced Firing Training +20% to firing range of guns with caliber of up to 155 mm ? 
it count only secoundary too ?

then maybe I will ask more  
Demolition Expert: +3% to chance of fire on target caused by a shell or bomb

is This include AP shell too? or just HE that count like WoT

Edited by WindCruiser

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

1 & 2 - same answer any gun under 155mm

3. hmm - wording has changed - it used to be HE only but....

So main caliber too ... Oh thanks god! my first  DD skill not useless or I have to waste my money to reset it

you put it on secondary armament section and it confuse me for the moment here.... 

Edited by WindCruiser

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

So main caliber too ... Oh thanks god! my first  DD skill not useless or I have to waste my money to reset it

you put it on secondary armament section and it confuse me for the moment here.... 

I put it where it shows up!

Old wording (alpha/CBT) was "includes DD main armament", but that was dropped with 4.0

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Just my guess but.

Starting from 3rd skill point, the next exp requirement is x1.5 times the previous one.

If that's so:

13th point takes 110k exp

14th point takes 165k exp

15th point takes almost 250k exp.

To sum it all up, if you rushed your way through to get the 5th level skill asap, it would take roughly 752k exp. (and that one didn't even count retraining exp requirement).

I quit...

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Just my guess but.

Starting from 3rd skill point, the next exp requirement is x1.5 times the previous one.

If that's so:

13th point takes 110k exp

14th point takes 165k exp

15th point takes almost 250k exp.

To sum it all up, if you rushed your way through to get the 5th level skill asap, it would take roughly 752k exp. (and that one didn't even count retraining exp requirement).

I quit...

It's actually quicker and less XP than getting 7 full skills in WoT....

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Cruiser superintendent?

Really, I use at most 3 scout (or whatever you call it) for entire game

At tiers 1-5 yup, but you are building a CO for later play, at tiers 6+ you want barrage/sonar more often and at 9+ you want the extra HP recovery

Beta Tester
62 posts
772 battles

It's actually quicker and less XP than getting 7 full skills in WoT....

Keep in mind he has listed the required xp up to 15 points, but the points go up to 20 Points (or maximum 7 Skills)

Even to retrain a Co with 15 Points to an other ship is .... :sceptic:

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

At tiers 1-5 yup, but you are building a CO for later play, at tiers 6+ you want barrage/sonar more often and at 9+ you want the extra HP recovery

Doesn't AA Barrage  have unlimited useage?

Also, fire prevention isn't as good as some might think, that -7% is 7% of final chance of fire, which amounts to like less than 1% practically. Getting your guns on target on BB is much more important IMO, esp for ships like Warspite and Yamato, or most IJN BB and mid-tier USN BB in general.

Keep in mind he has listed the required xp up to 15 points, but the points go up to 20 Points (or maximum 7 Skills)

Even to retrain a Co with 15 Points to an other ship is .... :sceptic:

WG: That'll be 200 gold, hand it over or grind :P

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

One of us should check if Superintendent decreases the AA barrage cooldown.

Would be stupid if it does though, the description doesn't say anything about it.

Then again, it's WG, if it does then I'm kinda screwed, I got High Alert on my Cruiser crews...

4 posts
339 battles

Take all my plus ones.

Thanks for the guides, although I'm dubious about the efficacy of fire prevention, and am cursing myself for taking it on my US Battleship commander...

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Fire prevention is actually useless based on WG's calculations, as do the mod. WG logic, I suppose.

(Ammo fire chance + pyro) * (ship fire multiplier * (1 - (mod + perk)))

5 posts

Lets say I move my CO from ship A to ship B.
He loses 50% of these skills as I don't pay doublouns. (I assume it mean a 10% loading benefit becomes 5% - not that half of the skills dissapear).

What happens if I complete the grind for ship C before the CO has regained the full skills?
Will he just remain at 50%, or sink down to 25% when moving to C?

/Edited for spelling &clarity/

Edited by Garfield62709

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Lets say I moce my CO from ship A to ship B.

He loses 50% of these skills as I don't pay doublouns. (I assume it mean a 10% loading benefit becomes 5% - not that half of the skills dissapear).

What happens if I complete the grind for ship C before the CO has regained the full skills?

Will he just remain at 50%, or sink down to 25%?

stays at 50% (I've done this one a few times myself!)

edit - well actually restarts the 50% is more accurate.

84 posts
1,414 battles

***Snipped***

Retrain again has 3 distinct options:

• 500 Doubloons = all skills working and you are training your CO again in the next battle.
  • 200,000 Credits = retraining time reduced by half.  Commander earns no XP and a 50% penalty is applied to skills.
  • Free =  Commander earns no XP and a 50% penalty is applied to skills.

Retraining your CO takes XP.  (I hear you go huh what? you just said that the CO earns no XP!).  Instead of earning XP towards a skill (this is the earns no XP part), you CO earns XP towards retraining.  The cost of retraining for free in XP is 50% of the XP required to gain the next skill point. So to retrain a CO who is working on their 1st Skill point, you would need them to earn 600 XP (1200 x 0.5), 2nd Skill point would be 650 XP and so on.   You can see what the retraining XP cost would be if you hover over the Commander’s picture before assigning them to the ship.

Great guide thanks. +1'd

Edited.... D'oh

Ouch for retraining the Minekaze Driver!

Edited by GDavid

55 posts
3,922 battles

Nice work DMW.  One thing: re your recommendations of skills for each class of ship, I would avoid Fire Prevention for any class as it is apparently close to useless.  According to some sources, the 7% reduction in chance of fire isn't an absolute reduction, but a relative reduction.  So if a shell hits your ship and it has, say, a 10% chance of setting you on fire, the chance of fire is not reduced from 10% to 3% but from 10% to 9.3% (93% of 10%) - not worth it.

Source: http://menzgaming.com/worldofwarships/world-of-warships-articles-guides/world-of-warships-captain-skills-guide/

So, instead, I would use Expert Marksman for the Level 2 skill on Battleships (and Cruisers).

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Nice work DMW.  One thing: re your recommendations of skills for each class of ship, I would avoid Fire Prevention for any class as it is apparently close to useless.  According to some sources, the 7% reduction in chance of fire isn't an absolute reduction, but a relative reduction.  So if a shell hits your ship and it has, say, a 10% chance of setting you on fire, the chance of fire is not reduced from 10% to 3% but from 10% to 9.3% (93% of 10%) - not worth it.

Source: http://menzgaming.com/worldofwarships/world-of-warships-articles-guides/world-of-warships-captain-skills-guide/

So, instead, I would use Expert Marksman for the Level 2 skill on Battleships (and Cruisers).

As I said in the OP Your Mileage May Vary.

I prefer <1% chance of a fire over a <1% decrease in rotation speed, but that's me.

55 posts
3,922 battles

I prefer <1% chance of a fire over a <1% decrease in rotation speed, but that's me.

The affect of Expert Marksman on rotation time for guns>155mm is not negligible.  Take a battleship with a rotation time of 45 secs for 180 degs.  That's 4 deg/sec.  Expert Marksman increases the traverse speed by 0.7 deg/sec, to 4.7 deg/sec.  Means 38.3 sec for 180 degs, an improvement of 14.9% - this is not insignificant.

An extreme example would be the Yamato.  72 secs for 180 degs becomes, with Expert Marksman, 56.25 secs for 180 degs, a 22% improvement.