Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
benlisquare

Famitsu interview with Ivan Moroz, global director of the WoWS development team in Saint Petersburg

35 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,109 battles

Japanese videogame magazine Famitsu has published on their website an interview with Ivan Moroz, who is the global director of the WoWS development team at Wargaming Saint Petersburg.

• As of the OBT, approximately 85% of core game development is complete
  • On the Asia server, the pre-order packages were mostly purchased by Japanese players
  • During early alpha testing, developers noticed that players got bored after 20 or 30 battles, which made them shorten the duration of each battle to 20 minutes (they were longer before).
  • After the premium ships for USSR, Germany and UK roll out, the tech trees will be released.
  • The developers plan on splitting cruiser classes into CL and CA, in addition to separate branches for battleships equipped with torpedoes. Submarines aren't completely ruled out of the game, though they are still in preliminary brainstorming stages.
  • After formal release (i.e. upon completion of OBT). there are plans to introduce weather effects and night battles. Such effects include wind, waves, storm and fog.
  • The developers are considering releases on other platforms, such as Xbox and mobile devices.
  • They are hoping to be able to introduce promotional skins, ships and characters for the Arpeggio collaboration.
  • Premium time and gold/doubloons will be shared across the player's unified account.
  • They are considering the possibility of tournaments and e-sports.
  • Destroyed ships are due to feature effects such as pieces falling off.
Edited by benlisquare

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,536 battles

They are hoping to be able to introduce promotional skins, ships and characters for the Arpeggio collaboration.

Who even cares, there's reskinned Arpeggio explosions, shells and ships readily available already.

The only thing missing is audio stuff, which will pop up as soon as modding the audio becomes a thing, so...

Well, I guess it's good to see that WG keeps doing promo shenanigans. :great:

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,109 battles

Well, I guess it's good to see that WG keeps doing promo shenanigans. :great:

I wonder if Kadokawa is willing to do a KC collab as well. I know that they're kind of uneasy about dealing with folks outside of Japan, but it's an opportunity for both sides (Wargaming and Kadokawa) to gain some steam for their franchises, and promote one another.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I don't think Kadokawa minds, actually, IIRC they wanted to release KanColle outside of Japan due to its popularity. It's more a DMM issue than anything else...

Beta Tester
3,034 posts
1,511 battles

Japanese videogame magazine Famitsu has published on their website an interview with Ivan Moroz, who is the global director of the WoWS development team at Wargaming Saint Petersburg.

• On the Asia server, the pre-order packages were mostly purchased by Japanese players
  • During early alpha testing, developers noticed that players got bored after 20 or 30 battles, which made them shorten the duration of each battle to 20 minutes (they were longer before).
  • After the premium ships for USSR, Germany and UK roll out, the tech trees will be released.
  • The developers plan on splitting cruiser classes into CL and CA, in addition to separate branches for battleships equipped with torpedoes. Submarines aren't completely ruled out of the game, though they are still in preliminary brainstorming stages.
  • After formal release (i.e. upon completion of OBT). there are plans to introduce weather effects and night battles. Such effects include wind, waves, storm and fog.
  • The developers are considering releases on other platforms, such as Xbox and mobile devices.
  • They are hoping to be able to introduce promotional skins, ships and characters for the Arpeggio collaboration.
  • Premium time and gold/doubloons will be shared across the player's unified account.

Oh boy.

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,109 battles

I don't think Kadokawa minds, actually, IIRC they wanted to release KanColle outside of Japan due to its popularity. It's more a DMM issue than anything else...

I was under the impression that they were worried about being portrayed as "promoting Japanese nationalist sentiments" by making Japanese warships cute. The majority of people following Kantai Collection are domestic Japanese, as are their direct customers, and they are probably weighing the pros and cons of moving into uncharted territory, given that moe anthropomorphisms aren't a common cultural thing in the west. A while back, there was a Korean newspaper editorial which criticised Kantai Collection and claimed that it was trivialising war and promoting right-wing ideology.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,536 battles

I was under the impression that they were worried about being portrayed as "promoting Japanese nationalist sentiments" by making Japanese warships cute. The majority of people following Kantai Collection are domestic Japanese, as are their direct customers, and they are probably weighing the pros and cons of moving into uncharted territory, given that moe anthropomorphisms aren't a common cultural thing in the west. A while back, there was a Korean newspaper editorial which criticised Kantai Collection and claimed that it was trivialising war and promoting right-wing ideology.

Looking at local anime cons I would say KanColle is atleast very popular in the german part of the western world. :x

Although the very same thing applies here, too, we don't really need to rely on WG to do anything, since the anime modders/skinners will make stuff anyway.

And those guys usually make stuff out of passion rather than a contract. :3

As for the korean newspaper... and whenever there is a school shooting old media yells: "VIDEOGAMES ARE AT FAULT!!!!1111elf"

Typical old media "must get views by making things EXCITING" nonsense. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Korean and provincial Chinese media is extremely fond of latching onto anti-Japanese sentiments in order to inflate their readership - I wouldn't really put a lot of stock in it. High level criticism is another matter, though. Honestly, haven't really seen anything specifically targetting KanColle.

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,109 battles

Well, there is also this guy from Vice, who completely misses the premise of KanColle and goes off on his own imaginary tangent:

The 2015 release of the Kantai Collection series brings cuteness and war together in a fashion that's impressively revisionist. The show, widely known as KanColle, features "ship-girls" who are the reincarnations of Japanese warships sunk in World War II. This time, however, the Imperial Japanese Navy is allowed to win. The show's season finale (spoiler alert) concluded with the protagonists winning the Battle of Midway, the decisive naval battle that historically swung the tide of the war in the Pacific toward the Americans.

Yeah, I know. Clickbait journalism. He didn't even do his research properly, and simply wanted to rush out a half-cooked article.

Then, there's this nonsense, which essentially relies on appeal to emotion and a bunch of other fallacies to paint everything as the big bad boogeyman, while conveniently ignoring a bunch of points that would otherwise make their piece crumble apart.

The issue with Japanese shows, books and games going west is that, there's always going to be someone who desperately needs to complain about something.

Edited by benlisquare

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,536 battles

...brings cuteness and war together...

That's as far as I've read into that quote.

Has anyone watched Hogan's Heroes lately? It brings comedy and war together! How dare thy!

Clickbait journalism.

Hence why old-media is a horse that has been beaten to death repeatedly.

The good part about internet clickbait shenanigans is, that the only people really reading that stuff are the vocal minority people

that search for the drama and pretty much nothing else.

They don't even have an opinion, they just throw around random words, get into "fights" on twitter and are generally very frustraded and pitiful human beings irl.

I.e.: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

1. 85%? lol

2. To be expected, japan has alot of naval nutjobs and with how popular kancolle is I am not surprised

3. Still think 25minutes is better then 20

4. Thought this was the case

5. Good. More diversity, also lol at WGing backflipping on the subs and 'battleships with torpedoes' This is what happens when a huge majority of your fanbase wants something.

6. Hell yeah weather effects and night battles! There is a god!

7. To be expected

8. These already exist... we just need the cool klien field and weapon sound effects.

9. We already knew this

10. Expected

11. Now this is cool

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

- Is it? Don't really think so....

- A. Kancolle B. IJN Fanbois

- It still is a bit boring after a few games. Game flow is a bit slow by nature.

- $$$

- Subs? Please GOD PvE Only. BBs with Torps? Oh Deary me.

- No more endless thread about this again, please lol.

- $$$

- None of my business Not interested

- Good, But when? WG's Soon? :D

- Please don't go Tanks way. Sick of 90% of the new Tanks are for CWs/ Rewards. Other than that it's a good thing.

- Need some love as well.

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

Can't you then just shoehorn in ships of the other nations and make them super cute? Or is that too naive of me?

*i for one would LOVE it if KC came out world wide*

Hang on so CoD a game that's more or less "murcia" is aokay but super cutesy ship girls who are based of IJN ships is bad? i don't want to live on this world any more :hiding:

Arpeggio promo items. gib, gib, gib me now!

Edited by Lupis

Beta Tester
3,034 posts
1,511 battles

Can't you then just shoehorn in ships of the other nations and make them super cute? Or is that too naive of me?

*i for one would LOVE it if KC came out world wide*

Hang on so CoD a game that's more or less "murcia" is aokay but super cutesy ship girls who are based of IJN ships is bad? i don't want to live on this world any more :hiding:

Arpeggio promo items. gib, gib, gib me now!

The game devs are doing it slowly, but only Axis ships are in the game.

People then speculate that the Abyss are the USN ships because they fly Hellcats and whatnot. 

Don't forget Midway Princess, Henderson Princess and all the other bosses.

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

The game devs are doing it slowly, but only Axis ships are in the game.

People then speculate that the Abyss are the USN ships because they fly Hellcats and whatnot. 

Don't forget Midway Princess, Henderson Princess and all the other bosses.

Yeah i don't know that since i'm:

1. not that much into it since it's only in japan.

2. didn't know about it till getting into CBT early.

3. i'm on the other side of the world form it's point of origin.

4. Poi poi poi! *Poi was sadly my introduction to KC*

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,109 battles

5. Good. More diversity, also lol at WGing backflipping on the subs and 'battleships with torpedoes' This is what happens when a huge majority of your fanbase wants something.

You mean, this is what happens when people who aren't too familiar with naval warfare make requests to the devs over and over again about wanting something put in the game.

It's the same deal with people wanting Sanshikidan in the game, the people who make these posts probably read some sci-fi novel or something, and don't actually understand the mechanics that make the idea implausible. Of course, such players are in high numbers, and WG needs to address them somehow.

I'm still very convinced that submarines will be either completely unplayable, or will break the game in some manner.

Edited by benlisquare

Super Tester
1,679 posts

but question would be will light cruisers be that potent in the meta? it would be nice to see an Agano beside an Ibuki or the Worcester with a Baltimore.

as for tubes on battleships, its probably gonna break the game and dub World of Torpedoes real.

Beta Tester
3,034 posts
1,511 battles

but question would be will light cruisers be that potent in the meta? it would be nice to see an Agano beside an Ibuki or the Worcester with a Baltimore.

as for tubes on battleships, its probably gonna break the game and dub World of Torpedoes real.

You mean BB players will finally find out how crap torpedoes are right now?

Super Tester
1,679 posts

that and I fear battleship supremacists will revile the sacrilege of putting tubes on their 'mighty' floating artillery (yes I know a couple of people who I told the game kicked off OBT that have the mentality of "battleship master race").

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,536 battles

You know what I really wanted? Another gigantic magazine inside my BB, that will totally be great for a ship class generally best at tanking damage.

(I just pray to the gods of potatah that I can demount torpedoes entirely from any BB that has them...)

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

that and I fear battleship supremacists will revile the sacrilege of putting tubes on their 'mighty' floating artillery (yes I know a couple of people who I told the game kicked off OBT that have the mentality of "battleship master race").

BB master race? pfft plebes. It's CA master race FTW!

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

That would be it for me.  If the ships are altered to be cute or more attuned to anime then that's uninstall time

inb4 next april fools we get cute anime girls that are like the ones from KC as ships.:trollface:

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

whats the threat about front mounted tubes that can only shoot forwards and move at a paltry speed of 29 to 40 knots maximum

Only the Tirpitz had actual torpedo tubes on its deck like a Cruiser or Destroyer.

Edited by iLordShade

Sign in to follow this