You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Muds_Revenge

The Arizona

18 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Should War Gaming pay homage to the unfortunate but brave young men of the Arizona by putting her into action in this game, to roam the oceans and wreak havoc for all time?. 

And.....

Discuss!:

Super Tester
149 posts

Yes, maybe a tier 6 US premium Battleship, the New Mexico class is literally an upgraded version of the Pennsylvania class Battleships and both classes carry 12x 14 inch guns mounted in 4 triple barrel turrets.

Or, otherwise it might be a regular ship in the second USN BB branch full of proposals such as the South Dakota 1920 battleships or the Tillman Maximum Battleships.     

Edited by Marisp17

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

On one hand, it'd be nice to see her on the waves.

On the other hand, getting the detonation achievement on it just seems...in really bad taste...

Beta Tester
256 posts
4,212 battles

Yes, but if they make it premium, I'm not going to buy it... Just one more way to extort money out of us.

That goes for most "famous" or "infamous" ships.

Edited by xamdam

Beta Tester
256 posts
4,212 battles

On one hand, it'd be nice to see her on the waves.

On the other hand, getting the detonation achievement on it just seems...in really bad taste...

That would apply to HMS Hood as well. Maybe even more so as she was at steam and engaged.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Hood= wooden decks. fire-ship and no deck armour=yummy target.

Would be fun to recreate classic engagements like battle of jutland, hunt the bismarck, hood vs bis etc...imagina all the historical usn vs ijn you could have!?.

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,182 battles

Hood= wooden decks. fire-ship and no deck armour=yummy target.

Would be fun to recreate classic engagements like battle of jutland, hunt the bismarck, hood vs bis etc...imagina all the historical usn vs ijn you could have!?.

Umm, you do know that the "wooden" decking you see on many warships of this era is only a veneer. There's layers of armour in varying thickness and girders providing structural strength beneath this. I don't think wood is going to provide structural strength for a deck measuring hundreds of metres long as well as providing longitudinal and latitudinal strength for the the topside structure and the long hull, measuring tens of thousands of tons..?!

Many other warships of the time has textured "paint" applied to the decks and no one is suggesting that those decks are made of paint?!

The "wooden" decking isn't a fire risk. The ammunition lockers for AA and Torpedoes was a likely fire risk as well as any penetration of main battery magazines or boiler/turbine machinery. That goes for any warship.

Hood had armour and in some parts, significant amounts of it. It's just that the approach to her armour layout was inconsistent but in line with warship design of the era she was built in. She was also the victim of a lucky strike.

There's a more than equal chance that shell could've deviated by a couple metres and not caused the catastrophic damage that has haunted her and spouted by armchair naval enthusiasts for decades after...

Tee

Alpha Tester
982 posts

The wood decking on BB & CA during the game period served two very useful purposes.

As Admiral_tee just pointed out, it was not for structural strength.

The first purpose was to help keep the interior of the ship cool. The wood absorbs sunlight, gets warm but does not radiate the heat to the steel deck below. Wooden insulation.

In the second purpose, during ammo loading, what can happen if a shell lands on a steel deck that wouldn't happen on a wooden one? Sparks can = detonation. So it's also a safety feature.

EDIT: spelling... Doh!!!

Edited by Krieg

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

If they are of a class that's in the game already then i'm all for famous and infamous ships. I for one would shell out for a Graf Spee.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

As she is a designated memorial IRL I wouldn't like to see her turned into pixel entertainment, but that's just me.

(I'm still a bit iffy on some of the others that are war graves that are used in this way as well).

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

As she is a designated memorial IRL I wouldn't like to see her turned into pixel entertainment, but that's just me.

(I'm still a bit iffy on some of the others that are war graves that are used in this way as well).

True.

But $$$.

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

Fair enough.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

The decks were laid with timber in order to drive sailors out of their minds..

You just can not achieve the same level of misery scrubbing a steel deck.

u10TUKa.jpg?1

Beta Tester
256 posts
4,212 battles

I take it you don't play IJN then? 

Beta Tester
256 posts
4,212 battles

Which is pretty much the IJN. 

I've been to Etajima several times. The first thing that stuns you when walking into the museum is a big map of the Pacific with hundreds of red markers for sunken vessels.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I take it you don't play IJN then? 

2nd sentence.....

I play them, but as I said I am a bit iffy about ships that are also designated war graves.

Although I would lose some of my favourite in game ships, I wouldn't jump up and down if those that had been lost and were designated war graves were removed in favour of others in their class that were not lost in that manner.

IMO Arizona as a dedicated memorial is in a different category.