MasterWolf

So you wanna play Destroyers ?

39 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
131 posts
1,557 battles

Excellent choice - one of the most fun classes in WoWS

But you ask - what is the difference between USA and IJN ??

As this is the newcomers area i'll confine myself to tiers 2 -5 and talk in fairly general terms

At these low tiers both are primarily torpedo boats - they have really fast torp reload times and fairly average guns so the torp is their main weapon.

So USN - DD killers - The US Navy DD's are dedicated destroyer hunters - their torps are short ranged, slowish and do not hit very hard - but they have lots of them and separate port and starboard broadsides so you get double the fun.  They also have guns that excel at killing other Destroyers and can even annoy a cruiser if used right.

What they are not however is brawlers - they lack the armour and HP to do this as well as a cruiser and must rely on agility to stay alive - so fire off a spread, then snap of a few HE rounds and RUN until your torps reload.

With USN DD's try to pick your targets - lower tier cruisers are fair game but and equal or better tier cruiser or any BB is going to eat you alive in short order.  You can sometimes get in really good torp runs on these big opponents, but don't expect to sink too many unless you get lucky.  What you will do is annoy the heck out of them and soften them up for the main fleet.

Spread your torps out unless you have a sure thing - you fire a lot so a wide spread can make it hard for the enemy to dodge them all - you don't do as much damage but if you are hunting DD's one is enough.

ok so onto the IJN - the glass cannons of the WoWS lineup at low tiers

They have a limited number of long rage fast running, hard hitting torps and are a terror to any unsuspecting or inattentive ship of any size.

IJN DD's are ship killers - they can drop a BB in one salvo and many Cruisers in 1 or 2 torps  (what they do to enemy DD's if they hit is best not described using PG language)

The problem is - they are fragile and they do not have a lot of torps - so you need to pick your shots to make them count.

On IJN guns - forget it - at best they are handy for finishing off a crippled ship or setting fire to a fleeing carrier - other than that - the guns on an IJN DD are best left as decoration - if you are concentraing on shooting the guns you are not dodging, or setting up your next run and both of these are much more important

A pair of IJN DD's especially isokazes (as at their tier one torp is deadly) can own an entire match by combining their fire and flooding the enemy fleet with an un-avoidable spread of torps.

A word to the wise - spam torps with care - your torps will run a long way and an incautious drop can often see your team mates being the in intended victims of your enthusiasm.  - They will not thank you for it!!!

Try to use the close spread setting as it increases your chance of a deadly blow and means that even at the end of your run the chance of a hit is high if they do not dodge.

onto a bit about the DD's worst enemy AA fire - TURN IT OFF - if you are trying to be stealthy - the moment you open up on enemy aircraft you generate spotting checks and almost certainly loose any cover you had.

Turn it back on once you are in the thick of things - but your smoke is far less effective if some ensign is rattling of 100 round bursts off AA tracer from the back deck at a spotter plane when you are trying to run for your life..

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

Thanks for the tips......i love JPN DDs. I'm at the Minikaze now and still kept the Isokaze. 2 of my fav DDs.

I stopped at Tier 2 Sampson as i didn't like the limited torpedo range of US DDs. However i was just a newbie then and new to WOWs. Maybe i should give it a try again.

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,272 battles

Thanks for the tips......i love JPN DDs. I'm at the Minikaze now and still kept the Isokaze. 2 of my fav DDs.

I stopped at Tier 2 Sampson as i didn't like the limited torpedo range of US DDs. However i was just a newbie then and new to WOWs. Maybe i should give it a try again.

Once you've mastered lead shooting you'll enjoy the US DD's a lot more, they're excellent gun platforms.

Beta Tester
49 posts
4,044 battles

Iam very disappointed playing US DD especially USS SIM because its really hard to get torpedo hit ...

When chasing Japs DD , when come to Torpedo Range that ship already destroy my gun , very fast reload (4sec) and HE dmg quite impressive ..average 1000 hp + Fire Damage ...

so for getting Mission done for Torpedo Damage better use Japs DD..

Beta Tester
120 posts
4,246 battles

Yeah, turning off the AA.. HOW?? everyone says oh you hit P but nope.. nothing happens.. there is no key to set for it.. I know I have done it before.. but I can't recall what the hell I did to turn it off.. 

Thanks

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,972 battles

I find DD's to be the least fun, most stressful and lowest XP and Kill earning ship classes in the entire game.  Their dead last in the stats leaderboard for damage and XP.

Also you can turn off AA and secondary guns by pressing "P"

Beta Tester
120 posts
4,246 battles

Yeah I just looked and some how that has been erased and there is no key binded to that command.

I managed to fix it by deleting the preferences file.. no idea why it was removed.. but it's fixed now

Edited by Fire_Spy

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles

Excellent choice - one of the most fun classes in WoWS

But you ask - what is the difference between USA and IJN ??

As this is the newcomers area i'll confine myself to tiers 2 -5 and talk in fairly general terms

At these low tiers both are primarily torpedo boats - they have really fast torp reload times and fairly average guns so the torp is their main weapon.

So USN - DD killers - The US Navy DD's are dedicated destroyer hunters - their torps are short ranged, slowish and do not hit very hard - but they have lots of them and separate port and starboard broadsides so you get double the fun.  They also have guns that excel at killing other Destroyers and can even annoy a cruiser if used right.

What they are not however is brawlers - they lack the armour and HP to do this as well as a cruiser and must rely on agility to stay alive - so fire off a spread, then snap of a few HE rounds and RUN until your torps reload.

With USN DD's try to pick your targets - lower tier cruisers are fair game but and equal or better tier cruiser or any BB is going to eat you alive in short order.  You can sometimes get in really good torp runs on these big opponents, but don't expect to sink too many unless you get lucky.  What you will do is annoy the heck out of them and soften them up for the main fleet.

Spread your torps out unless you have a sure thing - you fire a lot so a wide spread can make it hard for the enemy to dodge them all - you don't do as much damage but if you are hunting DD's one is enough.

ok so onto the IJN - the glass cannons of the WoWS lineup at low tiers

They have a limited number of long rage fast running, hard hitting torps and are a terror to any unsuspecting or inattentive ship of any size.

IJN DD's are ship killers - they can drop a BB in one salvo and many Cruisers in 1 or 2 torps  (what they do to enemy DD's if they hit is best not described using PG language)

The problem is - they are fragile and they do not have a lot of torps - so you need to pick your shots to make them count.

On IJN guns - forget it - at best they are handy for finishing off a crippled ship or setting fire to a fleeing carrier - other than that - the guns on an IJN DD are best left as decoration - if you are concentraing on shooting the guns you are not dodging, or setting up your next run and both of these are much more important

A pair of IJN DD's especially isokazes (as at their tier one torp is deadly) can own an entire match by combining their fire and flooding the enemy fleet with an un-avoidable spread of torps.

A word to the wise - spam torps with care - your torps will run a long way and an incautious drop can often see your team mates being the in intended victims of your enthusiasm.  - They will not thank you for it!!!

Try to use the close spread setting as it increases your chance of a deadly blow and means that even at the end of your run the chance of a hit is high if they do not dodge.

onto a bit about the DD's worst enemy AA fire - TURN IT OFF - if you are trying to be stealthy - the moment you open up on enemy aircraft you generate spotting checks and almost certainly loose any cover you had.

Turn it back on once you are in the thick of things - but your smoke is far less effective if some ensign is rattling of 100 round bursts off AA tracer from the back deck at a spotter plane when you are trying to run for your life..

Thanks....

414 posts
9,259 battles

For DD, I'm into USN DD (and currently using T5 Nicholas). Yeah no doubt these things is DD killer. With that guns, fully upgraded T4 Clemson can go toe to toe w/ IJN T2-T6 and win (if not get torpedo hit), also a battleship/cruiser/carrier tease as you can start some fires easily. You can even citadel lightly armored cruisers such as Kuma and Tenryu w/ AP shells. Low tier DDs (Wickes, Clem, Nic) have 2 tubes on each sides so if you find 2 battleships and they didn't realize your presence, they're both your easy prey.

First, I though that short torp range will be a problem, then I try doing Banzai Charge move, usually I died at the end (esp vs cleve and other fast firing cruisers :c so I rarely charging CLs).

Me Banzai Charging when using USN DD :

Pick a Ship (10-12km away, BBs and lonely ship always the best) > Engine Boost > Stay undetected until detection range > Fire while dodging shells > Torp (I usually torp within 2-3km away from the target ;_;) > Go away while using smokescreen (or just ram thus finish your duty).

Once I've sacrificed my Clemson to sunk enemy North Carolina.

So choose USN DDs if you want fast-firing guns and prefer to go with Banzai Charge and surprise attacks. Choose IJN DDs if you weebs like to snipe other ships from afar and stay stealthy.

423 posts
3,175 battles

My style is more of an ambusher, so yes, USN DD.

Recommendation for low-tiered USN DD:

It is not until you get away from the Farragut that your torp range is beyond the dectection range, until then, USN DD isn't easy to play. Short range torp means you have to get a lot closer to torp enemy ships, both a curse and a blessing, depending on what style you're playing.

At the very beginning, remember that DDs are paper-boat. Everything can and will go through you like hot knife through butter. Learning to dodge shots first, then learning to outsmart the one's shooting at you. It is mandatory for DD handlers to firstly understand that his/her best defense is speed and maneuverability. Use it by your wits, and try to be unpredictable. Constantly in-out and changing course, never let the enemies know where you will be in the next 10 seconds. By doing that, not only you could dodge many shots, but also discourage enemy from shooting you, especially if he is a low RoF BB or CAs (like the Fukurata or Furukata I'm not so sure).

Secondly, don't try to use your cannon unless you're at point blank range (a.k.a 7km or less). Your gun is more of a decoration rather than a weapon, first because you're always moving and changing course, aiming would be very hard (if not impossible, unless you're very goot at snapshooting) and second because once you alligned your shots, you're already making yourself predictable (by moving in a predictable patterns - trust me, I've learnt that on the Sampson the hard way). However, with the ability of setting target ablaze by using HE shells, and for some reason, USN DDs have better cannon than their IJN counterparts, use your main cannon on targets, but doing so in as much unpredictable pattern as you could, try to snap shooting and as much shot placement as possible (a.k.a "leading" your shots).

Thirdly, different ships require different approaches. You are not as ninja as your Japanese fellas, your torps range is horrible and your gun is pretty much useless on armored targets, so diversity is a must. Here are some tips I could give you guys based on my personal DD experience (I only have the Clemson, though higher tier DD I played on another account, just escaped the Farragut):

-If you're facing enemy CA in general: constantly poppin in-out of range by shoot-scoot tactics until he's well in detectable range. Keep dodging his shots as much as you could while constantly shoot him from afar. You should not prioritize in scoring a hit, but using your unpredictability to confuse him and round him up to the point you're well in torp range. Now all you have to do is release the Kraken, and spread as much as you could the salvos from multiple angle, for American torps aren't the fast ones.

-If you're facing enemy CAs. Now it's the plural and most likely, the real game scenario. An old saying always goes: "If they come in packs, bring in your packs". Use your minimap to predict the area they would most likely going to and torp in the general direction. One salvo, then swinging around to torp that direction from another angle. You need to spread your launches as much as possible. Your role here isn't to kill them, but to round them out of the islands and channels - their advantage - to the guns of our allies already waiting for them. Then get out of there, trying to stay away from the killzone then flank them somewhere else, while they're busy dealing with our allies.

-If you're facing enemy DDs: remember that they could kill you in one well torpedo hit, unless you're sure that they're reloading, which is very unlikely, don't get too close to their broadside. What you have to do is outrun them, you have speed and maneuverability for that. Open fire at them, guessing where they will be heading and while avoid running parallel to them. Torp them when you're very close (ideally -1km from your torp range) at their head, as wide as you could (to make sure at least one of them would hit, or force them to take a wider turn) then break off and try to run away at the rightest angle as you could (a.k.a 90 degree to their launching tube). Mostly they would have to turn side to our allies, exposing the larger target or suffer the hits of at least 1 or 2 torpedoes.

-BBs and CVs: they are slow as sh*t and they are your prey. Do as the book tells you to do, get close, avoid secondary batteries (and also main battery) while being unpredictable, then torp them once you're running parallel to them. US torps are slow, so unless you are aiming at citadels, widen your launches.

That's it. Hope y'all have a better understanding on using USN DD. And please giving me comment on a better DD playing. Thanks very much.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

DD are the ship type with hardest difficulty to have good average statistic

Since your torpedoes rely on luck or YOLO

And their guns only effective against another DD, not much against other (except CV, that barely can return Fire)

423 posts
3,175 battles

their cannon as far as I can tell, is a weapon of, lol, psychological attack.

Most people didn't know (or care) about the statistic of the DD's gun, they just scare of the torp, so by shooting them, they will see you as an easy target.

Until they got torped by the firing DD...

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

I bought the wickes to continue down the USN DD line... Omg, I remember now why I stopped and went over to the JPN line. One advice, just free XP the wickes. It's just so hard to carry in it. The torpedoes are mostly useless because of the 48knots speed. Even BBs can dodge it easily if they are alert. And i released the torpedoes at 3-4km range. Gun is lackluster too. Lolz.....6 games and only 1 win...researched Clemson and sold. 

Worst ship I ever played.

423 posts
3,175 battles

my thinking is, USN DD is like, well, Malfoy

The more time you spend with him, the better understanding you can get.

USN DD is a predator, not a ninja. Ambush him, and you'll surely win...

36 posts
2,915 battles

I bought the wickes to continue down the USN DD line... Omg, I remember now why I stopped and went over to the JPN line. One advice, just free XP the wickes. It's just so hard to carry in it. The torpedoes are mostly useless because of the 48knots speed. Even BBs can dodge it easily if they are alert. And i released the torpedoes at 3-4km range. Gun is lackluster too. Lolz.....6 games and only 1 win...researched Clemson and sold. 

My favourite replay to date is in a Wickes where I got 3 kills all in different ways (ramming, torps and guns).  But yes, while you can carry in an IJN its almost impossible to do so in a USN DD at low tiers.  However I disagree about the Wickes guns, they are almost as good as the St Louis guns and far, far better than the Wakatake's.  I think players need to stop thinking of low tier USN DDs as motor torpedo boats and start thinking of them as mini cruisers.  Their guns are their best feature.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

My favourite replay to date is in a Wickes where I got 3 kills all in different ways (ramming, torps and guns).  But yes, while you can carry in an IJN its almost impossible to do so in a USN DD at low tiers.  However I disagree about the Wickes guns, they are almost as good as the St Louis guns and far, far better than the Wakatake's.  I think players need to stop thinking of low tier USN DDs as motor torpedo boats and start thinking of them as mini cruisers.  Their guns are their best feature.

Yet - If you wanna Carry a game, IJN DD is the better choice.

USN DDs' DPM is way too slow. Hopefully the Buffs incoming will make it fun again.

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
28 posts
2,402 battles

Screenshots from my Nicholas. It was a loss, but oh well.

Spoiler

jqrtvt.jpg

Note to self: Don't take on two battleships and attempt to dodge 3 sets of torpedoes at the same time.

Edited by Tank_Killerz

3 posts
416 battles

Probably this is not a real tip, but I have found out if one starts playing the CA/CL (any cruiser tree), then after a good research and experience, then starts the DD lines (any tree), will do much better, well my case that is. Knowing the cruisers are considered as destroyer killers, it is not 100% true, then to use your CA/CL skills in a DD, will have a greater advantage. Probably works the other way around as well, first the DD research then the CA/CL research. Just to give an idea.

Edited by TACOLOCO

423 posts
3,175 battles

^ I agree with you, except for a fact that destroyer needs to 1. Get very close or 2. Get very far in order to make the best of their roles...

[1-ATF]
Beta Tester
39 posts
4,058 battles

Probably this is not a real tip, but I have found out if one starts playing the CA/CL (any cruiser tree), then after a good research and experience, then starts the DD lines (any tree), will do much better, well my case that is. Knowing the cruisers are considered as destroyer killers, it is not 100% true, then to use your CA/CL skills in a DD, will have a greater advantage. Probably works the other way around as well, first the DD research then the CA/CL research. Just to give an idea.

I'd say this holds true for all classes. Playing BB and CA/CL helps you to learn how those respective players react in response to an attacking DD, and what you can do to counter it. This is really useful when you're doing both torpedoes-at-range and banzai charges.

^ I agree with you, except for a fact that destroyer needs to 1. Get very close or 2. Get very far in order to make the best of their roles... 

Getting very close isn't a deathwish if you know what you're doing. There's ways to stay alive even within four kilometres.

DDs shouldn't be getting so far, though. Even with IJN DDs it's better to stay just outside of detection range (which is still under 10km, so not far at all) to make the most of your abilities. USN DDs... just bide your time and wait for your chance to close the distance. The chance always comes - and if nothing else, change targets.

Edited by carillus

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

WWHHHAAATTTT!!!!!!! a ship spawnster cant play omg omg omg omg

there is nothing wrong with the wickes at all, it has to  be a problem between chair and computer screen I think???

I play 10 battles in my wickes and won 9 out of 10 yes that's right, 1 loss only from 10 battles in the wickes......

:P:teethhappy: