You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
shcerion

Suggestion: Adding Emergency Break for ships

50 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
11 posts
349 battles

I'm thinking about if the developers added the emergency break for ships, by dropping anchors of it down then cut it like in the movie "Battleship". This physically help the ship stopped fast or decrease inertia as much as possible or maybe ship could drift like car too :)) , A useful skill to avoid surprise torpedoes attack. 

Beside, Anchor are the game symbol and it kinda sad if it is never used

world_of_warships_social.jpg

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

YES! It happened! It finally happened! Someone made a "drop anchor to brake" thread! And it took only a week! 

*Strike anchor drop off my Bingo sheet*

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

IT RETURNS!!!

This doesnt work and isnt a thing, but Im going to wait for some actual ex navy blokes to turn up and inform you of all the reasons why a real ship would never try it.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Maybe when you are the last person alive on your team you can roll a 20 sided dice for the chance to summon Godzilla to vanquish the enemy team.....

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

oh man again........

This is something I've typed almost as often as wipe pre OBT...

Simple explanation: It doesn't work.

Long version:

Drop anchor at speed, anchor hits side of ship and rips hole.

Anchor hits anchor pin, pin breaks, anchor and cable left behind.

Ship does not turn, ship slows slightly due hole in side.

Ship slows more and starts to flood.

Ship sinks if crew don't stop flooding.

Crew off caps at CO's table and lose 7 days pay and leave for failing to set the blake slip.

Edited by dead_man_walking

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Is it really practical !?, I mean, anyone really ever doing that in real life ?

I never had any experince with ship but I think it more likely that the ship at speed will drag anchor along the sea bed and even in hook to something on the ground I don't think the anchor's chain will able to hold it together, ship at speed will gonna break the chain or something

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Is it really practical !?, I mean, anyone really ever doing that in real life ?

I never had any experince with ship but I think it more likely that the ship at speed will drag anchor along the sea bed and even in hook to something on the ground I don't think the anchor's chain will able to hold it together, ship at speed will gonna break the chain or something

1. That assumes it hits the sea bed. If it does hit the seabed - refer to dead_man_walking's post.

2. If it doesn't hit the seabed, what happens when the chain runs out is that the anchor just drops. Off the ship. Completely. Gone. And some poor schmuck is gonna pay for it.

Beta Tester
11 posts
349 battles

Maybe when you are the last person alive on your team you can roll a 20 sided dice for the chance to summon Godzilla to vanquish the enemy team.....

LOLOLOL

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
953 posts
5,654 battles

I'm guessing OP is one of those "WoT tankers" who is having trouble playing "peek-a-boo" behind the islands. :sceptic:

May I never see "pee-a-boo" fighting again :great:

Beta Tester
11 posts
349 battles

Then there much be someway else to use the anchors, i feel sad for him :unsure:

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Theres the traditional use, keeping a ship in roughly the same place when anchored offshore. Doesnt really feature much in gameplay though...

I do occasionally wonder why the ships in port are not at anchor.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Theres the traditional use, keeping a ship in roughly the same place when anchored offshore. Doesnt really feature much in gameplay though...

I do occasionally wonder why the ships in port are not at anchor.

*And Propeller turning like crazy despite stopping

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Yeah, being the anchor dragging down your team :trollface:

Dragging_Anchor.jpg

(please note, this reply is a stand alone jest. not an attack or comment about shcerion)

Super Tester
1,677 posts

another Iowa club haul thread. WOOOHOOOO!

well... I think the seasoned navy guys, both in the grit of active duty or did their tenure, can probably agree that club hauling, or kedging for that matter, will NOT work on post-dreadnought ships. the max that one could with that maneuver is destroy the winches, smash the deck, tear the anchor off and put a large gash on the side of the fore section of the ship. this type of maneuver ONLY works on tallships and other age of sail vessels.

as ridiculously epic it was seeing a fast battleship perform a club haul/kedge maneuver, the film went "physics.exe has stopped working" when that happened.

Edited by EvyL

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Add it as a mechanic which reduces your max hp by 90% and if you die by it immediately change your name's colour to black.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

This is a very good vid of what happens when you fail at anchoring.

The cable goes to the deck shackle extremely fast, then loses the cable and anchor.

The sailors are reporting how the anchor grows (how it lies in relation to the ship and strain on the cable)

Edited by lengxv6

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

You're all wrong. The OP said "emergency break" not "emergency brake." Such a feature would be perfect and realistic for those times when you need to perform an emergency breaking manoeuvre.