You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Dwelf

Gunnery range

4 comments in this topic

1 post
1,426 battles

It would be really nice if we could have a gunnery range.I know there is Coop but even using that for practice you are still inconvenincing other players while you experiment with things. Learning how to do some things like plunging fire over an island or leading high speed targets is very trial and error. It would make a lot of sense to let those that want to experiment with those sorts of things have a place where they can try it without bothing other players.

The targets do not need to have critical areas like normal ships. While that would be nice to have for dialing in target locations I can figure that out during actual matches since it's just a case of hitting a ship till you figure out where you want to hit it.

What it would be nice if it could do would be to set the target's speed and range. This would let you practice things like using the elevation markers for plunging fire over obstacles and what sort of lead you need to hit someone. You can experiment with these in game but especially for the first one there is alot of trial and error to it. It would also be helpful for new carrier captain who would like a chance to feel first hand how the control work and figure out what sort of a distance after drop it takes a torpedo to arm.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Tip: Hold Alt to check the amount of time your shells will take to travel to target.

As for firing over islands, it takes some trick doing so. I can't really explain it in exact detail, but sometimes when you move your cursor from a target on sea onto island, your shots might curve through it.

Final note: WG insisted on not allowing training room function, you need a mod to enable it. I haven't tried it out myself though. 

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Tip: Hold Alt to check the amount of time your shells will take to travel to target.

As for firing over islands, it takes some trick doing so. I can't really explain it in exact detail, but sometimes when you move your cursor from a target on sea onto island, your shots might curve through it.

Final note: WG insisted on not allowing training room function, you need a mod to enable it. I haven't tried it out myself though. 

1. - you can enable the alternate battle mode view in the settings on the controls tab

2.  - Agreed it's a trick shot - practice - you'll get used to the arc of your guns and be able to work out when you can and can't lob rounds over an island (zoom back out helps)

3.  - Training Rooms are disabled to cut down the load on the server and to get people into actual games for data collection.

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Lobbing shells over an island is easy if you've already targeted the vessel in question. Just maintain your aim point and keep firing (you can adjust lead and range a bit), the game understands you want to keep shooting at the ship and pretends the island isnt there and youre just aiming at a ship in the distance..