You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Marisp17

Imagine if We Could Shoot Torps with Guns!~ Scene from Britannic

24 comments in this topic

Super Tester
149 posts

Hello Fleet Forumers!, 

What if shooting and stopping torpedus with our secondary guns was possible? I have gathered this amazing scene from the old 2001 movie Britannic, please note that this movie is Historically Inaccurate and Outdated. That in reality the HMHS Britannic struck a mine and did not get torped by a U-Boat or neither internally sabotaged by the germans during World War !. Also note that it is against International Geneva laws to harm Civil/Red Cross cruise liners.  

For Entertainment purposes on the Community's Forums Only and not to raise a discussion because this was already discussed before and shooting torps with guns would never likely appear in World of Warships. 

Edited by Marisp17

Alpha Tester
372 posts
715 battles

Hello Fleet Forumers!, 

What if shooting and stopping torpedus with our secondary guns was possible? I have gathered this amazing scene from the old 2001 movie Britannic, please note that this movie is Historically Inaccurate and Outdated. That in reality the HMHS Britannic struck a mine and did not get torped by a U-Boat or neither internally sabotaged by the germans during World War !. Also note that it is against International Geneva laws to harm Civil/Red Cross cruise liners.  

For Entertainment purposes on the Community's Forums Only and not to raise a discussion because this was already discussed before and shooting torps with guns would never likely appear in World of Warships. 

I hope aircraft can shoot the Torps under water that will be cool

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

wait... i hate that "to be continue" ending !!!

did he success shooting that torp ?

Of course not, water is known to be the best bullet proof material.

Super Tester
149 posts

Of course not, water is known to be the best bullet proof material.

The answer is Yes unfortunately, because this historically inaccurate movie cares about action and wants a blockbuster scene.  
Edited by Marisp17

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

I initially saw this and thought it was about firing Torpedoes through the main guns, an idea whose lunacy I approve of wholeheartedly. Imagine firing a 16" torpedo 20km and then dropping it in the water in front of some clueless BB. Hilarity ensues as he screams about OP haxx weapons before firing off a salvo of his own just as he sinks.

Super Tester
149 posts

I initially saw this and thought it was about firing Torpedoes through the main guns, an idea whose lunacy I approve of wholeheartedly. Imagine firing a 16" torpedo 20km and then dropping it in the water in front of some clueless BB. Hilarity ensues as he screams about OP haxx weapons before firing off a salvo of his own just as he sinks.

Sorry about the title, this is literally about secondaries having the ability to fight the torpedus back. 

Alpha Tester
372 posts
715 battles

The answer is Yes unfortunately, because this historically inaccurate movie cares about action and wants a blockbuster scene.  

Yea haha 

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Sorry about the title, this is literally about secondaries having the ability to fight the torpedus back. 

Judging from in game descriptions in earlier builds, that was originally intended for the secondary armament. Then they realised that it only worked in Hollywood/kinda borked the game balance a bit.

Makes for a good movie scene though (and Ive come across it in military fiction more than a few times as well... Silly authors).

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Judging from in game descriptions in earlier builds, that was originally intended for the secondary armament. Then they realised that it only worked in Hollywood/kinda borked the game balance a bit.

Makes for a good movie scene though (and Ive come across it in military fiction more than a few times as well... Silly authors).

The description is a bit borked.  It was supposed to reference anti torpedo boats guns (i.e. secondaries) but they dropped the "boat" bit from the description, hence a lot of the confusion.

(IMO a lot of the descriptions are borked, but I'd rather get gameplay issues fixed than dubious translations)

[STGGC]
Beta Tester
162 posts
2,861 battles

IIRC in MoH : Rising Sun you can shoot the torpedo on 1st campaign (Pearl Harbour one i think),, but after saw a .50 blown on impact with water (saw it on Mythbusters) and the last thing i know is,, mehhh,, just eye candy for that game

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

IIRC in MoH : Rising Sun you can shoot the torpedo on 1st campaign (Pearl Harbour one i think),, but after saw a .50 blown on impact with water (saw it on Mythbusters) and the last thing i know is,, mehhh,, just eye candy for that game

Mythbusters are pretty terrible at simulating RL conditons. What fires .50Cal rounds? MGs. Do MGs fire single shot? Hardly ever. Will the second round fragment on impact? Unlikely, because surface tension has been disrupted. On the other hand, water is pretty dense, and bullet velocity drops off very rapidly. A torpedo travelling below 5 meters (ie all torpedoes) would be practically immune as the rounds would likely be moving slower than the torpedo if they hit it.

Much larger caliber weapons like 5" dual purpose guns firing HE *might* be able to detonate the warhead or damage the fish enough to cause it to stop functioning if they get a near enough shot at a shallow running torp (water is a very good conductor of shock waves).

[STGGC]
Beta Tester
162 posts
2,861 battles

Mythbusters are pretty terrible at simulating RL conditons. What fires .50Cal rounds? MGs. Do MGs fire single shot? Hardly ever. Will the second round fragment on impact? Unlikely, because surface tension has been disrupted. On the other hand, water is pretty dense, and bullet velocity drops off very rapidly. A torpedo travelling below 5 meters (ie all torpedoes) would be practically immune as the rounds would likely be moving slower than the torpedo if they hit it.

Much larger caliber weapons like 5" dual purpose guns firing HE *might* be able to detonate the warhead or damage the fish enough to cause it to stop functioning if they get a near enough shot at a shallow running torp (water is a very good conductor of shock waves).

i don't know which rifle is that but i'm pretty sure it's .50 cal round,, and they tried shooting with M1 Garrand too IIRC,, but still those angle though when you need to fire at torpedo that fired at close range

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

i don't know which rifle is that but i'm pretty sure it's .50 cal round,, and they tried shooting with M1 Garrand too IIRC,, but still those angle though when you need to fire at torpedo that fired at close range

Edited by Halken_Sky

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Barret 50cal is the likely offender, a rifle designed to fire 50cal BMG, a machine gun round. But this is a warship we're talking, why use a sniper rifle when you have a few dozen machineguns lying around?

[STGGC]
Beta Tester
162 posts
2,861 battles

Barret 50cal is the likely offender, a rifle designed to fire 50cal BMG, a machine gun round. But this is a warship we're talking, why use a sniper rifle when you have a few dozen machineguns lying around?

if you using DP gun,, how much gun depression is needed? since in WoWS you can't detect a torpedo until it very late,, or lucky enough to let your spotter aircraft to spot it for you,, and i never saw someone shooting their BMG at torpedo,, they prefer to shotdown 3 Insane Mad Man than shooting at torpedo,, in pearl,, maybe,, but is that effective?

Alpha Tester
982 posts

For anyone who doesn't know, the Britannic's sister ship was the ...... yep..... the Titanic :sceptic:

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Before you all go of track, hitting torps with guns (5" and above) has been tested in real life, and around WWII.

The results are that the guns can damage a torp, but the conditions to do it are so remote as to make it near impossible.

The gun has to be able to depress sufficiently, the torp has to be seen in time, the guns has to be loaded and manned.

Most naval guns depress to the horizon and no further, so shooting a torp at close range is impossible to do

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

if you using DP gun,, how much gun depression is needed? since in WoWS you can't detect a torpedo until it very late,, or lucky enough to let your spotter aircraft to spot it for you,, and i never saw someone shooting their BMG at torpedo,, they prefer to shotdown 3 Insane Mad Man than shooting at torpedo,, in pearl,, maybe,, but is that effective?

Probably quite a bit 10 degrees or more. Those guns were partly there to protect against small surface targets like MTBs and such though, so did have some depression. It should be noted that the DP gun thing was tried pretty frequently (because as a sailor you'd through absolutely everything at an incoming torp and pray) but there are no records of ever successfully stopping a torpedo with gunfire. Hence the *might*.

As for MGs, like I said, they stand no chance in hell. Theyd perform better than that mythbusters test would suggest, but after 2 or 3 meters of water the bullet velocity would be non-existant.

Beta Tester
320 posts
29 battles

"This is the biggest ship in the world, and unsinkable."

Typical White Star Line ships, they always say that words. No matter even they know their first biggest ship was sunk by iceberg...

[STGGC]
Beta Tester
162 posts
2,861 battles

Probably quite a bit 10 degrees or more. Those guns were partly there to protect against small surface targets like MTBs and such though, so did have some depression. It should be noted that the DP gun thing was tried pretty frequently (because as a sailor you'd through absolutely everything at an incoming torp and pray) but there are no records of ever successfully stopping a torpedo with gunfire. Hence the *might*.

As for MGs, like I said, they stand no chance in hell. Theyd perform better than that mythbusters test would suggest, but after 2 or 3 meters of water the bullet velocity would be non-existant.

in the end it still useless after all,, anyway just send some HE to stop those torp,, trust me,, not even a single bomb will dropped on ya (if you know what i mean to hit)

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

probably why most ASW weapons of the time involved dropping or throwing lumps of explosives into the water to go off at pre-determined depth - could possible use those as anti-torp defences but you'd really need to be very very very very very very very lucky to hit

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

You do not need to hit, you just have to create a big enough air bubble in front of the torp, to do that, you need to see it first

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

I still reckon we should shoot torps out of the main armament. Because reasons.

Once the devs get the optimisation sorted, I wouldnt be surprised if mods for Hollywood style walls of flak and massive explosions started to crop up. Id probably use a few of them.