Sign in to follow this  
Halken_Sky

Beginner's Guide to Carriers (Tier 4 & 5)

20 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

As the game transits towards OBT and live, there will be a influx of new players with no idea about most of the gameplay mechanics as such these game guides are created to carter to these new players so they could understand the mechanics before diving head first into the game.

Beginner's Guide to Carriers

This guide will cover the basic requirements that you will need to know about tier 4 & tier 5 carrier gameplay, the individual ship statistics, their plane statistics, and tips on plane controls.

Carrier Gameplay

Okay you managed to get through the starting few tiers of ships and gotten yourself a new tier 4 carrier, what now? Simple always remember these 5 things!

Firstly, do note that carriers play completely different form any of the ships you used before.

Secondly, your only means of attack are your planes, if you run out of them and you will only be a moving target for the enemy team.

Thirdly, you are one of the only few ships at tier 4 & 5 with decent AA to take out enemy planes.

Fourth, taking out enemy battleships and the enemy carrier is your highest priority in any game match, or you can go for the easiest vulnerable target you have in your sights.

Fifth, always have map awareness.

Individual Carrier Statistics

I will be taking the statistics on the final hull upgrade with the stock air control module on all ships.

Tier 4

Survivability 53
Combat Capability 33,700

Aircraft 12
Squadrons under Command 2
Aircraft per Squadron 6
Hanger Capacity 30 units
Fighters 1 squadron
Torpedo Bombers 1 squadron

Artillery 5
Secondary Armament (127mm/51 Mk7) 4x1 127mm
Range 3,500m

AA Guns 4
AA Guns (12.7mm Browning M2 mod.1) 16x1 12.7mm
Damage 16dps
Range 900m
AA Guns (76.2mm/50 Mk22 mod.2) 4x1 76.2mm
Damage 8dps
Range 2,000m

Maneuverability 7
Maximum Speed 15.9 knots
Turning Radius 730m
Rudder Shift Time 16.8s

Concealment 67
Surface Detectability 10.1 km
Air Detectability 7.4 km

Survivability 38
Combat Capability 31,800

Aircraft 12
Squadrons under Command 3
Aircraft per Squadron 4
Hanger Capacity 24 units
Fighters 1 squadron
Torpedo Bombers 2 squadron

Artillery 5
Secondary Armament (140mm/50 3rd Year Type) 4x1 140mm
Range 3,500m

AA Guns 10
AA Guns (25mm/60 type96 twin mod.1) 6x2 25mm
Damage 36
Range 3,000m

Maneuverability 38
Maximum Speed 25.4 knots
Turning Radius 740m
Rudder Shift Time 10.3s

Concealment 75
Surface Detectability 7.9 km
Air Detectability 8.1 km

Tier 5

Survivability 45
Combat Capability 36,500

Aircraft 14
Squadrons under Command 2
Aircraft per Squadron 6
Hanger Capacity 28 units
Fighters 1 squadron
Torpedo Bombers 1 squadron

Artillery 5
Secondary Armament (127mm/38 Mk24) 2x1 127mm
Range 4,000m

AA Guns 38
AA Guns (20mm Oerlikon Mk4) 27x1 20mm
Damage 135dps
Range 2,100m
AA Guns (40mm Bofors Mk1) 8x2 40mm
Damage 72dps
Range 3,500m
AA Guns (127mm/38 Mk24) 2x1 127mm
Damage 6dps
Range 5,000m

Maneuverability 13
Maximum Speed 16.9 knots
Turning Radius 640m
Rudder Shift Time 12.6s

Concealment 59
Surface Detectability 11.9 km
Air Detectability 7 km

Survivability 45
Combat Capability 36,500

Aircraft 17
Squadrons under Command 4
Aircraft per Squadron 4
Hanger Capacity 30 units
Fighters 1 squadron
Torpedo Bombers 2 squadron
Bombers 1 squadron

Artillery 5
Secondary Armament (127mm/40 A1 mod.2) 4x1 127mm
Range 4,000m

AA Guns 34
AA Guns (25mm/60 type96 Triple mod.1) 10x3 25mm
Damage 80
Range 3,000m
AA Guns (127mm/40 A1 mod.2) 4x1 127mm
Damage 24
Range 5,000m

Maneuverability 42
Maximum Speed 28.4 knots
Turning Radius 910m
Rudder Shift Time 12.6s

Concealment 73
Surface Detectability 8.5km
Air Detectability 8km

Individual Plane Statistics

Same as the above I will only be taking the final plane upgrade modules as reference here,

There are a few things to take note here:
- All the stats here are only referring to a single plane in your squadron.
- The total loadout and dps value of a fighter squadron will decrease with each plane lost.
- Fighter dps shown is the optimal dps it can do, this number is affected by a random damage system which is also shared by AA. You may be affected by bad luck and not do any damage to any enemy planes too.

Tier 4

Fighter Curtiss F6C-1
Cruise Speed 115 knots
Average Damage Per Second 30
Loadout 66
Survivalbility 760
Aircraft 11

Torpedo Bombers Martin T3M
Cruise Speed 90 knots
Maximum Torpedo Damage 8500
Survivability 800
Aircraft 12

Fighter Nakajima A2N2
Cruise Speed 126 knots
Loadout 57
Survivalbility 780

Torpedo Bombers Mitsubishi B1M
Cruise Speed 95 knots
Maximum Torpedo Damage 8567
Survivability 790
Aircraft 13

Edited by Halken_Sky

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Tier 5

Fighter Boeing F4B
Cruise Speed 127 knots
Loadout 53
Survivalbility 940

Torpedo Bombers Martin T4M
Cruise Speed 94 knots
Maximum Torpedo Damage 8500
Survivalbility 970

Dive Bombers Vought SBU
Cruise Speed 111 knots
Maximum Bomb Damage 5400
Survivability 970

Fighter Nakajima A4N
Cruise Speed 134 knots
Loadout 46
Survivalbility 970
Aircraft 18

Torpedo Bombers Nakajima B3N
Cruise Speed 99 knots
Maximum Torpedo Damage 8567
Survivalbility 990
Aircraft 18

Dive Bombers Alachi D1A2
Cruise Speed 110 knots
Maximum Bomb Damage 4600
Survivability 970
Aircraft 18

Tips on plane controls

Now to the juicy part how to control your planes to do maximum damage to a target ship.

If your are using a US Carrier, when doing a torpedo bomb run on any ship try to use in in-built manual bomber order. This can be done by holding your left-alt and click on the map while in tactical aerial view.

Take this as a example:

MAkjhrn.png

Do note that you do have to estimate quite a distance ahead of the ship if they are moving unlike the one in the example.

Next if you are in a IJN carrier make use of the tight auto-bomber order which unlike the US carrier's "fan" version, your's is much tighter to your manual bomber order. Try to make your planes attack from both sides of the ship as that will always guarantee a few hits.

An example is this:

bxtae33.png

For more details on how to control your planes optimally you must refer to this video:

Edited by Halken_Sky

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Feel free to make comments on this guide, I will be making 2 more intermediate and advanced guides for carrier gameplay for the other 2 higher-tier playstyle differences in the near future.

Edited by Halken_Sky

1,230 posts
2,354 battles

Sky, I will be copying the thread link to the complete guide

Thanks for these

Note: JUST THE LINK, NOT THE COMPONENT

Edited by Conkhead_12

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Could 'Tight Torpedo Drop' could be executed manually?

If you mean the maunal-attack order which is the hold alt+click move, yes that is still usable.

Please view the video in the guide that will explain most of the plane controls.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Fighter dps shown is the optimal dps it can do, this number is affected by a random damage system which is also shared by AA. You may be affected by bad luck and not do any damage to any enemy planes too.

Can you verify this? If it's true, then WG surely is drunk with regards to Fighter mechanics.

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Can you verify this? If it's true, then WG surely is drunk with regards to Fighter mechanics.

It had been said by a Dev that AA damage is random, and planes share the same damage system as AA.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Okay, they are definitely drunk then. Who the hell thought that more RNG is better though :sceptic:

It definitely explains how sometimes you insta kill one or two fighter/bomber in the first 5secs or the whole flight coming out unscathed after a run. 

Nice guide Halken :medal: 

Just one thing, I thought they changed it back so IJN bomber manual drops are more accurate over the auto dropped? 

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

It definitely explains how sometimes you insta kill one or two fighter/bomber in the first 5secs or the whole flight coming out unscathed after a run. 

Nice guide Halken :medal: 

Just one thing, I thought they changed it back so IJN bomber manual drops are more accurate over the auto dropped? 

IJN manual drops still have that huge gap in-between the torpedoes which can allow for experienced captains to slip through and get max 1 torp hit. I'll suggest going for the auto-scissors formation.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

IJN manual drops still have that huge gap in-between the torpedoes which can allow for experienced captains to slip through and get max 1 torp hit. I'll suggest going for the auto-scissors formation.

Ah right my bad, thought you meant something else.

Beta Tester
18 posts
502 battles

If you mean the maunal-attack order which is the hold alt+click move, yes that is still usable.

Please view the video in the guide that will explain most of the plane controls.

I've found that I couldn't use "Tight Torpedo drop" even I execute by IJN auto drop. It's just drop the normal way which I don't know why...

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

I've found that I couldn't use "Tight Torpedo drop" even I execute by IJN auto drop. It's just drop the normal way which I don't know why...

"Tight" drop isn't possible with IJN CV anymore, they drop with same spread side regardless manual or auto.

Sometimes the AI derp and rops in a really weird patter though...

4 posts
339 battles

Which line is easier for beginners to start with? I guess I'm only asking about the low tiers. The extra squadrons the Japaneses carriers get looks attractive, but does the smaller number of planes per squadron mean they tend to get chewed up by the US fighters? Should a new carrier driver go for air superiority or just try to sink ships? 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Which line is easier for beginners to start with? I guess I'm only asking about the low tiers. The extra squadrons the Japaneses carriers get looks attractive, but does the smaller number of planes per squadron mean they tend to get chewed up by the US fighters? Should a new carrier driver go for air superiority or just try to sink ships? 

USN fighters are slow and can barely chase your bomber, I suggest to lure them with one of your squad

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

USN fighters are slow and can barely chase your bomber, I suggest to lure them with one of your squad

That's not the case for lower tiers though.

Only until tier8 or higher do IJN Bombers get fast enough to escape a chase.

And only until tier7 do you get decent number of Fighters in IJN CV to actually do something about enemy Fighters.

USN CV are generally "safer" when under air attack, but traded their surface strike capability for it.

IJN CV are more risk-taking type, losing their self-defense in order to sink enemy ship faster (including enemy Carrier). 

Ofcourse it you run into an USN Carrier who runs Fighter configuration, then good luck trying to outsmart him, it's going to be a difficult task for you.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

32 posts
1,587 battles

im a bit off topic but i was watching the entire tutorial playlist  cuz of the vid above, but i think i caught a glimpse of a kitakami in episode 3 about torps,

Sign in to follow this