You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rocdocta

Port and Starboard

12 comments in this topic

19 posts
5,144 battles

I need a bit of paper in front of me to remember which is left and right. Nothing worse than a torpedo warning and i think "aaaargh!! which one is port?!!!" Anyone have any helpful memory tricks to remembering which is which?

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

I need a bit of paper in front of me to remember which is left and right. Nothing worse than a torpedo warning and i think "aaaargh!! which one is port?!!!" Anyone have any helpful memory tricks to remembering which is which?

Those 2 are terms used to distinguish between left and right side of the ship.

Ships are massive, and has alot of sailors on it, each person faces different way. The left side of the captain (or the sailor) might not be the left side of the ship. When there are emergency situations (incoming torpedo, or aircraft), saying left or right might confuse the sailors (because their left might not be the ship's left, and so on).

Hence, Port and Starboard terms were used to distinguish as Left and Right side of the ship. Bow as the front and Stern as the rear. It doesn't matter where were you looking, those terms will always tell you where exactly to look.

19 posts
5,144 battles

even amount of red port left in the bottle

Thanks i will try and use this. Thought of one "we just left our port".

Super Tester
1,677 posts

lel made a bad guide for ship definitions if you'd bother in the general discussion. that or mods would sticky that for maximum lulz.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

I understand with port and starboard that they used in the ship and plane but I just think ... who the hell come up with confusing word ..... why not just left port, right port or sth like that...

btw. I prefer to tell direction by "o'clock" more, it give more clear direction since 12o'clock alway be dead ahead.... if they change it to o'clock will be good thing

Edited by WindCruiser

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I understand with port and starboard that they used in the ship and plane but I just think ... who the hell come up with confusing word ..... why not just left port, right port or sth like that...

btw. I prefer to tell direction by "o'clock" more, it give more clear direction since 12o'clock alway be dead ahead.... if they change it to o'clock will be good thing

it was even worse originally, port is relatively recent.  it used to be larboard and starboard

1 post
127 battles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard

Regards Murph

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Those 2 are terms used to distinguish between left and right side of the ship.

Ships are massive, and has alot of sailors on it, each person faces different way. The left side of the captain (or the sailor) might not be the left side of the ship. When there are emergency situations (incoming torpedo, or aircraft), saying left or right might confuse the sailors (because their left might not be the ship's left, and so on).

Hence, Port and Starboard terms were used to distinguish as Left and Right side of the ship. Bow as the front and Stern as the rear. It doesn't matter where were you looking, those terms will always tell you where exactly to look.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

once you've got port/stbd weighed off then we quarter the ship to each side.

Ahead

Port Bow/Stbd Bow

Port Beam/Stbd Beam

Port Quarter/StbdQuarter

Astern