You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Douxo

Hosho - Trash or Trash?

27 comments in this topic

4 posts
198 battles

So right now i have a Hosho, and it is simply outmatched by any enemy Aircraft.

My fighters will lose to US fighters, 4 kills to 0, everytime, one enemy squad can kill both my squads with absolutely 0 casualties.

To help my odds, i position my fighter above friendly battleships like Myogi's who's AA can help me win. But alas its 4-0 again.

Sometime i find my fighters can single out an enemy torpedo bomber in the middle of nowhere. When this happens, 1 of 2 things occur:

1. His torpedo bomber's rear guns shoot down all my fighters

2. My fighters can sometimes snipe off 1 of their 4 man squad, and then run out of ammo and have to fly home.

All american fighter backs kill my squads instantly... even when they are circling above my deck or friendly battleships.

Should i just sell my hosho, and start on the American line before its too late? Or is there some amazing tech that i have missed, that allows me planes not to suck dick for a living?

4 posts
198 battles

I cant attack ships if im stuck keeping all of my planes over my own ship, while his torpedo bombers rush me... and if i chase his bombers with my fighter my fighter will die to his bombers rear guns... there MUST be something im missing.

Super Tester
532 posts
1,052 battles

I cant attack ships if im stuck keeping all of my planes over my own ship, while his torpedo bombers rush me... and if i chase his bombers with my fighter my fighter will die to his bombers rear guns... there MUST be something im missing.

You have to micromanage, and learn to pick what targets to hit.

4 posts
198 battles

Also to add to my rant...

Everygame it seems i am the only Air Carrier on my team, and the enemy team always has 2.

One that is the same tier as me (Tier 4), and one Tier 5.

There is no defense to a double Air Carrier torpedo bomber rush when u are alone.

4 posts
198 battles

You have to micromanage, and learn to pick what targets to hit.

what targets should i pick?

My fighter - Loses to all enemy planes, unless they are also a Hosho.

My torpedo bombers - die to all enemy planes.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Also to add to my rant...

Everygame it seems i am the only Air Carrier on my team, and the enemy team always has 2.

One that is the same tier as me (Tier 4), and one Tier 5.

There is no defense to a double Air Carrier torpedo bomber rush when u are alone.

Don't sit alone!

You are a mobile platform.  MOVE. 

Too many times I see CV's just sit there or head for the obvious island and get cleaned up.  

Follow/stay with you support. (P.S. this cuts down your turn around time as your planes are not flying as far.....)

Beta Tester
62 posts
772 battles

Defend your Planes with AA support from your own team (as example Cruiser Yubari) --> so move your planes to this ships which can provide AA support.

Do dogfights over AA protected Area.

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

It's not that a tier 4 carrier just want to sit there, they can't move or run far enough before they are spotted by the enemy carrier.

As for tips for using CVs both ExESGO and DMW gave good pointers, I'll add one more US carriers and IJN carriers have different play-styles and Hosho is the new player friendly version.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Funny how I've managed to do consistently well in my battle, unless another IJN CV decided to target me. I'm more worried about an opposing IJN CV than USN CV.

Why?
Because I can run away from USN Fighters, and sneak my bombers near the map border to get to my targets. It's slow, but it works when I can't win air superiority.

IJN CV though, they'll wipe me out fast because IJN CV air defense is pathetic, the one who bombs opposing carrier first wins.

That's the state of current CV gameplay right now, if you get matched up against superior attack aircraft force and there's not enough fighters on your team, you lose (your CV). If only WG bring back old CV Fighters and AA back...

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

In a 1v1 situation where you're the Hosho vs a Langley, bait his fighters with preferably your own fighters, make him chase you away from your bombers. If he changes target, send your fighters after him but kite him if he attacks back, this should leave at least one TB flight to get a run on the Langley.

2v1 your pretty much screwed if both the CVs target you.

Edited by Chawp

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,798 battles

Early on ijn cvs suck.

But late tiers they totally outclass us cvs. 

They can get 4 fighter squads with ridiculously high dps and a pack 4 bombers.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Between Houshou and Langley, Houshou's a heck lot more capable of dictating a match's outcome. Two torpedo squadrons can and will sink almost any ship at that tier in a single strike.

Houshou's detection range is pretty low - you got to get to within 7-8km of her to actually see her. Sure, she's slow, but the speed is decent enough to hang back just behind where your team is fighting to conduct support attacks. When facing a Langley or a higher tier carrier - go for quick attacks of opportunity. Your fighters are sacrificial - just use them to tie up a fighter squadron while your torpedo squadrons go in for the kill. Against a Langley, you have three squadrons to his two, so you can overwhelm their air defense. Against another Houshou, stack the deck in your favour: low tier allied cruisers may have crap AA, but every bit of it helps in a fighter-on-fighter engagements.

Being a single carrier up against two carriers is an MM issue. We've already complained about it. And if you're up against a higher tier carrier? Well, good luck with that. It's still possible to 

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

If hosho is trash then bogue is the most maggot infested, smelliest, toxic horse *excrement* you can ever find. Bogue is like the kawachi of carriers.

Edited by Deicide

34 posts
306 battles

My fighters will lose to US fighters, 4 kills to 0, everytime, one enemy squad can kill both my squads with absolutely 0 casualties.

To help my odds, i position my fighter above friendly battleships like Myogi's who's AA can help me win. But alas its 4-0 again.

Sometime i find my fighters can single out an enemy torpedo bomber in the middle of nowhere. When this happens, 1 of 2 things occur:

2. My fighters can sometimes snipe off 1 of their 4 man squad, and then run out of ammo and have to fly home.

All american fighter backs kill my squads instantly... even when they are circling above my deck or friendly battleships.

Should i just sell my hosho, and start on the American line before its too late? Or is there some amazing tech that i have missed, that allows me planes not to suck dick for a living?

1. Myogi doesn't really have much AA. Almost every IJN ships has low AAs in lower tier. Get close to USN ships as they have more AAs.

2. USN > IJN in terms of fighters for low tiers. The Langley have 1 squadron of fighters (6 planes) and 1 squadron of torpedo bombers (6 planes) compared to your Hosho of 1 squadron of fighters (4 planes) and 2 squadron of torpedo bombers (4 planes each). They key thing here is that you have 2 TBs to play with. I usually just send my fighter out an make it act as a deterrence, if I am playing defensively, I use it to create panic against enemy TB so that their torpedo angle will be wider than normal. However if I were to play aggresively, I will use my fighter to deter enemy fighter so that my TB can land their torpedo as intended. 

3. Sure you can sell your Hosho and start on the American line if you can define what you meant by "its too late". I have both lines on 'farm' but I favor the IJN CVs more and currently at the Ryujo. I just favor TBs more than DBs cause I feel more in control of my planes that way. I'm in mid-tier by the way so I can't comment on end-tier. As for USN, I only have the Langley and their planes are terribly slow for me... 

Alpha Tester
372 posts
715 battles

You do realize that the IJN planes has lower survivability than the USN one so is good to avoid USN fighters that engaging it remember play safe when you are using IJN CV ^_^

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

If hosho is trash then bogue is the most maggot infested, smelliest, toxic horse *excrement* you can ever find. Bogue is like the kawachi of carriers.

Unless the captain goes Air Superiority loadout, which will kick *** other tier4-5 CV providing the captain knows what he's doing. :hiding:

1 post
2,783 battles

Just had a bunch of Bogue games, 3 of them were 1v2s. One of them had an IJN T6 and T4 against my lone Bogue. Needless to say, regardless of how much I upgrade my fighters with commander perks and modules, they're not fast enough to teleport between two opposite points on the map. Taking down 1 squad of TBs already keeps them busy enough for another 3 squads to waltz on by. Doesn't help that plane kills give as much xp as a T1 AI match. Also, is it TOO much to ask for a bloody plane loadout that let's me have at least ONE fighter squadron and one TB squad? 

10/10 will get sunk by 4 torp squadrons again while all my planes are busy defending. 11/10 for dive bombers that do 2k damage.

At this rate, I think I'd be more helpful if I just played the Erie.

34 posts
306 battles

Just had a bunch of Bogue games, 3 of them were 1v2s. One of them had an IJN T6 and T4 against my lone Bogue. Needless to say, regardless of how much I upgrade my fighters with commander perks and modules, they're not fast enough to teleport between two opposite points on the map. Taking down 1 squad of TBs already keeps them busy enough for another 3 squads to waltz on by. Doesn't help that plane kills give as much xp as a T1 AI match. Also, is it TOO much to ask for a bloody plane loadout that let's me have at least ONE fighter squadron and one TB squad? 

10/10 will get sunk by 4 torp squadrons again while all my planes are busy defending. 11/10 for dive bombers that do 2k damage.

I think the problem here you are mainly having is the MM and also the EXP from downing planes. On a bright side, at least people won't see CV like how WoT sees SPGs as clickers.

1 post
123 battles

For me having played a game called navyfield as a carrier (same controls as this game) the USN tree is more geared towards Anti Aircraft and its Dive-bombers aren't too bad if you hold alt but they still are no match for the Torpedo bombers D:

I wouldn't mind seeing some more TB focused loadouts on USN but i doubt that will happen. I am currently at the bogue carrier and i prefer the langly to be honest, with my navyfield knowledge i could destroy hoshos and other langleys but with my bogue MM i usually get paired against 2 carriers in a 2v1 or they are higher tiers.

On another note i absolutely hate the idea of Fighters one tier are better as there is no counter play to fighters far above yours and if you are in a USN CV you are completely useless as all you can really do is use fighters as later USN CVs by the looks of the upgrades.

I would like to see a pilot skill rating/attribute like Navyfields system which helped players beat higher level fighters (if their pilots were much higher levels than the higher tier planes)

34 posts
306 battles

View PostHalken_Sky, on 08 July 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

Isn't there the stock hull?

0YAsJGK.jpg

Vn8JRBQ.jpg

Jnunwig.jpg

Mk5 mod.1 is the stock hull while Mk5 mod.2 and Mk5 mod.3 gives you alternatives to adjust your playstyle. There is NO NEED to upgrade either of these 2 hulls. Sadly if you intend to go all fighters playstyle, you will get very little experience points compared to full TB playstyle that the IJN CV line has. A good thing about USN all fighter playstyle is that they directly counter IJN full TB strike team playstyle. Your DB is there to do support role duty of eliminating CA and DD (which sadly isn't that accurate).

Super Tester
509 posts

I think the problem here you are mainly having is the MM and also the EXP from downing planes. On a bright side, at least people won't see CV like how WoT sees SPGs as clickers.

CV are [content removed]:P

Inappropriate content. Post Edited. User Sanctioned.

~dead_man_walking

Edited by dead_man_walking

22 posts
417 battles

As a Hosho facing a Langley, you must play defensively. Personally, I like to keep my planes close to surface ships if there is a possibility of an aerial confrontation for the supportive AA fire. You also have more versatility with 2 VT squadrons, so you can feint and lure. You'll suffer a bit with limited VF capability, but if you play smart and acquire fire superiority somehow, to eventually achieve aerial superiority, you'll do just fine.

34 posts
306 battles

As a Hosho facing a Langley, you must play defensively. Personally, I like to keep my planes close to surface ships if there is a possibility of an aerial confrontation for the supportive AA fire. You also have more versatility with 2 VT squadrons, so you can feint and lure. You'll suffer a bit with limited VF capability, but if you play smart and acquire fire superiority somehow, to eventually achieve aerial superiority, you'll do just fine.

Keywords: Defensively and play smart. Sending your IJN planes, trying to penetrate through their AAs and fighters is a terrible suicide mission. Just keep playing and learn how to navigate and deploy your bombers properly. I encountered some IJN CVs playing smartly by navigating their bombers via the side end of the map before appearing and bombing me. Some others gave up on trying to navigate behind and tried to just do bombing runs to the closest BB they can find.