You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SillyGoy

Shared kills, perhaps?

Shared kills  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should shared kills with fractions be implemented?

• Yes. It's a good idea.
    • No, everything is fine the way it is.
    • *shrug*

54 comments in this topic

22 posts
417 battles

Let's say you're wide-faced, rosy-cheeked Big Boy BB, and you're trading shells with another Battleship. You two are alone and you slug it out man-to-man. Turns out that your gunnery is better and all it takes now is just one more salvo to send him to the drink, while you can still take a few more hits. But suddenly, while you're reloading, in comes Johnny Cruiser with his fast-firing armament and torpedoes who ends up being credited with the sinking when his 152mm's strike the enemy Battleship to whisk away its last remaining 500hp before the fires on his deck do.

This is of some concern because it reflects poorly on Big Boy BB's record. In his career he's dished out far more damage than he's received, but his number of destroyed ships is comparable to his deaths, owing to Johnny Cruiser and his ilk (as well as Carrier Carl's VT and VB squadrons) swooping in at the last instance to deliver the final blow.

Personally, it's rather upsetting. Big Boy BB can spend the whole match delivering half again or even twice or more of his hp in damage but when he is sunk, his sinking is what his stats show brazenly. Sure, playing the game solely to win is unhealthy, but when I look at a record, I glance at a person's kills and deaths first.

So maybe we can implement a sort of shared kills system, like what the US air forces had back in WW2, with even fractions being awarded depending on how much damage a ship deals upon another. Upon and only upon a targeted ship's sinking, the player who does or does more than 80% damage to the ship in question gets 1 kill ribbon, one who does or does more than 50% gets 1/2 progress towards a kill ribbon, and one who does at least 20% gets 1/5 progress, and so on. The player to deal the final blow is guaranteed a 1/5 progress towards a kill ribbon, no matter what.

I know, my idea is rather crude, but it's open to modification and would certainly alleviate some frustration. At its core, it's just awarding fractions of a kill ribbon in correspondence with the amount of damage dealt against a targeted ship. What do you guys think?

Edited by SillyGoy

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

That just sounds needlessly complicated, tbh. Exp is already awarded more based on damage than kills, and a better judge of players is to look at their average damage rather than their kill/death.

61 posts
123 battles

it might be look good when you look into someone record and see oh... k/d ratio : 5.2

but when you look around average dmg : 5xxx, average xp : 2xx... that all about it -- nothing special

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Players who only cares about stats.......... coughXVMcough.

For me, I don't care if I did most of the damage and some lucky little ship comes in and blows up it, its one kill FOR THE TEAM, that is what counts.

(Is that you Whoohoo?)

Edited by Windforce

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

For me, I don't care if I did most of the damage and some lucky little ship comes in and blows up it, its one kill FOR THE TEAM, that is what counts.

(Is that you Whoohoo?)

B-but then you can't flaunt your 10:1 KDR.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I'm talking about a player's statistics, not the credits or xp he's awarded after a battle.

We're talking about that, too.

Kill/death ratio isn't really a good stat to look at in WG games, for the exact reasons you listed. That why in tanks, we look more to damage dealt and exp. Likewise in here, our player stats show the average damage per match pretty prominently, and that's a much better gauge of player skill.

B-but then you can't flaunt your 10:1 KDR.

Knowing him and his Minekaze...

Edited by Syanda

22 posts
417 battles

(Is that you Whoohoo?)

Well, Johnny Cruiser is a bully who took away Big Boy BB's rightful kill. It is his rightful kill because he took away more than 95% of the enemy ship's HP. Instead, Johnny is credited with the sinking simply for dealing the final blow, while delivering only a measly 500hp in damage because that was all the enemy had left at the time of Johnny's entrance.

I don't know about you, but I think this is injustice, especially to Big Boy BB. He must have cried for his kill to have gotten stolen like that...

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Well, Johnny Cruiser is a bully who took away Big Boy BB's rightful kill. It is his rightful kill because he took away more than 95% of the enemy ship's HP. Instead, Johnny is credited with the sinking simply for dealing the final blow, while delivering only a measly 500hp in damage because that was all the enemy had left at the time of Johnny's entrance.

I don't know about you, but I think this is injustice, especially to Big Boy BB. He must have cried for his kill to have gotten stolen like that...

Don't have to worry about that when you are the one gaining the most exp and credits as you did the most damage.
Edited by Halken_Sky

22 posts
417 battles

Don't have to worry about that when you are the one gaining the most exp and credits as you did the most damage.

Kill/death ratio isn't really a good stat to look at in WG games, for the exact reasons you listed. That why in tanks, we look more to damage dealt and exp. Likewise in here, our player stats show the average damage per match pretty prominently, and that's a much better gauge of player skill.

It would still be very nice if it were implemented. If K/D ratio right now isn't a statistic that is accurately representative of a player's skill, then with the implementation of this idea, it would at least be more useful, wouldn't it?
Edited by SillyGoy

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

But like he said, it's not nice on the stat pages. Not on your summary nor the website. 

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

First few things you see when you browse someone's profile page looking for their game info

Lxxb4VM.png

Seems to me K/D isn't that much prominent as you think it is.

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

First few things you see when you browse someone's profile page looking for their game info

2844c8ade1.jpg

But it's there, right in your face. Not so nice to see a 0.34, right?

22 posts
417 battles

*snip*

Even if it isn't, the recordkeeping would be fairer and more representative of a player's skill, wouldn't it?
Edited by SillyGoy

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

But it's there, right in your face. Not so nice to see a 0.34, right?

But looking at my stats, you can see I am just doing sub par in exp per battle. Also certain ships for example carriers will naturally have a higher K/D, once you click on his warships tab it's for everyone to see.

Edit: take destroyers for another instance your K/D may not be high at all due to the amount of deaths.

Which results to K/D being totally irrelevant to most of the people playing WoWs

Edited by Halken_Sky

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

But looking at my stats, you can see I am just doing sub par in exp per battle. Also certain ships for example carriers will naturally have a higher K/D, once you click on his warships tab it's for everyone to see.

Edit: take destroyers for another instance your K/D may not be high at all due to the amount of deaths.

Which results to K/D being totally irrelevant to most of the people playing WoWs

Which is why kills are important for DDs. People KS DDs the most because I've never seen torps killing anything except crippling them unless you are lucky. (Yes, I've seen DDs surviving two torps hits for no reason. I've survived them as well)

Beta Tester
36 posts
1,887 battles

I think if u are the last one to deal the final blow u should be credited for a kill assist but the other player that done the most damage get kill credit.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Lots of the after-game rewards credit damage dealt rather than sinking too, and exp earned/damage dealt is still the primary gauge of skill here. Honestly, I think the system's fine as it is.

22 posts
417 battles

... and exp earned/damage dealt is still the primary gauge of skill here. Honestly, I think the system's fine as it is.

Surely you would want to make the recordkeeping fairer?

Edited by SillyGoy

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Honestly i like the idea of a kill assist if you do not get the killing blow, quite often i will do 90% of the damage to a ship and someone else will pick up the kill or vice versa and im the kill stealer, the person who did the most harm should get a bit of an xp boost as well in my opinion.

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Honestly i like the idea of a kill assist if you do not get the killing blow, quite often i will do 90% of the damage to a ship and someone else will pick up the kill or vice versa and im the kill stealer, the person who did the most harm should get a bit of an xp boost as well in my opinion.

You are still misunderstanding something if you think kills give you more exp.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Surely you would want to make the recordkeeping fairer?

It's fair enough as it is - lists both kills, damage dealt, average exp together with a class breakdown. Simply looking at one stat as a judge of player skill while ignoring the rest of the stats available is silly.

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

You are still misunderstanding something if you think kills give you more exp.

Kills do give exp. Damage + kills give more than damage, obviously, and it's actually a lot more, like 300 exp or something.