You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
charcoal44

Duel Purpose Guns - Atlanta

11 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
131 posts
1,450 battles

I note that these guns are listed in both the AA and surface role but I never see them firing at aircraft.

Same goes for the IJN 12.7s don't see them actually firing in game.

Is this normal?

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Yes it is normal, AA damage is applied once any plane flies into your AA engagement area.

But the damage system is still random so there is no guarantee a plane will drop fast.

Alpha Tester
131 posts
1,450 battles

I remember in a vid by jingles he said something along the lines of that these guns will have a effect on the attacking force when they open up, causing their ordinance to miss the target. 

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

the AA you see is there for visuals only. Damage is calculated and applied with or with out your guns shooting at the aircraft

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

The way AA works, is that there is a circle centred on the gun's location with the range being the radius of the circle, once a plane enters the circle it is subject to the damage per second that gun produces, you may not see the visual effects of the AA, but the plane will be receiving damage.

Super Tester
802 posts

Should note that DP guns have a low rate of fire, so you may hear and see a single shot from your 5" guns. The AA visual and game mechanic intensifies the closer an aircraft is to your ship.

Alpha Tester
131 posts
1,450 battles

I just found the youtube vid and this seems to be a one of the skills you get like damage control that you activate. It has a icon of a aircraft in a cross hair.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X20YVF_Nzk

I've looked for this skill in the up grades for the Atlanta but can't find it.

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

Yes it is normal, AA damage is applied once any plane flies into your AA engagement area.

But the damage system is still random so there is no guarantee a plane will drop fast.

Wait what?

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I just found the youtube vid and this seems to be a one of the skills you get like damage control that you activate. It has a icon of a aircraft in a cross hair.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X20YVF_Nzk

I've looked for this skill in the up grades for the Atlanta but can't find it.

it's no longer an active skill you research for your commander.

It's now a consumable that's paired with the sonar consumable for CA/CLs.

The commander skill "superintendant" at level 3 adds 1 charge to all consumables with a charge count.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

I note that these guns are listed in both the AA and surface role but I never see them firing at aircraft.

Same goes for the IJN 12.7s don't see them actually firing in game.

Is this normal?

The dual purpose weapons engage when you use your AA ability, when that is offline your main battery guns will not fire at aircraft is the way i was told it works. I do not believe it is animated either, that is something they should do, and make it so you can not actually use your guns for other things while that ability is active considering they are being used. 

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

Alpha Tester
131 posts
1,450 battles

it's no longer an active skill you research for your commander.

It's now a consumable that's paired with the sonar consumable for CA/CLs.

The commander skill "superintendant" at level 3 adds 1 charge to all consumables with a charge count.

Man, I got a lot to learn about this game