You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
superIcecream

Which line should I go down?

18 comments in this topic

19 posts
1,783 battles

o7 forum-goers, which nation's cruiser/destroyers line do you guys suggest I go down? I'm coming from World of Tanks being mainly a medium tank/light tank player if that helps.

[MUS]
Beta Tester
24 posts
560 battles

American cruisers has some amazing DPM. Japanese destroyers are hilariously awesome, that torpedo range....

Edited by SHARDZ86

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Since you like to play light tanks, I'm assuming that you'd like a ship gameplay style where you GOTTA GO FAST?

How does the American destroyer line sound? You'll live a life of danger, dodging shells and getting close to enemy ships to drop torpedoes.

19 posts
1,783 battles

do you want to hunt and gun or slink around the edges and hope you hit?

What's the difference? I'd rather have interesting gameplay even if it means steeper learning curve.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

USN DD = fast, nimble, no armour, fast gun traverse and reload, short range torps

IJN DD = faster, nimble, no armour, horrible gun traverse, reasonable reload, longer range torps 

both torps are spotted at least 800 metres from the target (I think that's the shortest range) and even further out for longer range torps so you have to catch you target unawares.

USN CA = reasonable speed, average armour, fast gun traverse and reload, great AA

IJN CA = reasonable speed, paper armour, slower gun traverse and reload, get torps

Both styles take a bit of getting used to and working out what to do and when to do it.

BB's are sluggers at a range

CV's are just RTS play

Edited by dead_man_walking

Super Tester
1,779 posts
323 battles

The Blue line :)

Jokes aside, USN ships tend to focus on guns rather than torps, US BB guns are very good at mid range also beefy armor on the citadels, US Cruisers has A LOT of guns somewhat decent armor, did I mention that it has a lot of guns? US DD's has rapid fire guns, early tier DD's have crappy range torpedo but gets better at high tier

IJN on the other hand, BB's looks beautiful (except for you Kawachi, you're terrible) long range duels, IJN Cruisers has torpedoes, big guns too at mid tier, but gets pummeled by the US cruisers fast RoF, but IJN Cruisers can pack a punch in each shells, also torpedoes to ward off DD's, IJN DD's has long range Torps but crappy gun thats all

CV's both in the US and IJN tree are click fest ships, if your ship has no AA good luck dodging torps, if you're a CV user and the enemy you're targeting has butt tons of AA avoid at all cost..

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

Try CA/CL and DDs

The major comparisons between both classes have already been stated.

Just a little bit more, with the lower surface detectability of IJN DD, you can practically stalk and harass tunnel visioned and pre-occupied BBs. Play it right, you can potentially stall an entire unsupported BB line. Did that before in CBT using Fubuki, launched my 15km torpedoes at the very edge of my visibility limit which was 6.9km I think. Managed to delay the entire battle line long enough for the team to double back. Managed to score some debilitating hits on that battle line as well.

US DDs on the other hand, are trigger happy gun slingers. More often than not, guns are more effective than torpedoes. The only reason why I concentrate on IJN DDs and not so much on those gunslingers is that I like to play it stealthily and my gunnery can just be plain bad.

US CA/CL are gun slingers as well. In the game's timeline, guns on CA/CL are WAY more effective than torpedoes. The only reason why I focus more on IJN CA/CL is for the torpedoes. It gives me a last ditch option or a very painful and expensive surprise/punishment to enemies that don't pay attention to me. Oh when using an IJN CA/CL, you're practically a huge floating critical hit box. All the EXPERIENCED CBTs, ATs and Sts can attest to that. 

Though that's just me... I choose to sail dangerously. But IJN CA/CL are indeed curvaceous and sexy

[POI]
Super Tester
350 posts
3,601 battles

Oh when using an IJN CA/CL, you're practically a huge floating critical hit box. All the EXPERIENCED CBTs, ATs and Sts can attest to that. 

They didn't call Kuma a Crit magnet for nothing and Kitakami (has a Kuma-class hull) Critakami

Both sides have there perks so its best to try out both to see what you think

I do like playing for both USN and IJN

You might love playing the Battleships in this one because gameplay is very much different than WOT

Edited by Juan_23

Beta Tester
62 posts
772 battles

U.S. Cruiser line for their dependence on high Rate of Fire.

Japanese Destroyer line for their long range torpedoes.

@Crusier (starting with Tier 6) /however it various a bit (Mogami)

Rate of fire is nothing, if the accuracy is poor at long range you need to have a look at play-style and role of the Ship

US Cruiser = excellent DD hunter but shit against JP-Cruiser at long range, also good AA supporter

JP Crusier = BB suporter / CC Hunter

@DD in generell

Apart from CC to be mainstream friendly a DD requires "brain" to play with and they are not easy to master

1. Scout

2. Keep your Firepower alive

3. JP-DD, never try to go in an in-fight with an US-DD

4. Never attack BB´s in close range if they are on full health.

Compared to WoT

If you are a good player with Light Tanks ---> Destroyer in WoWs will be the class for you.

If you are good with Medium Tanks ---> Destroyer and Cruiser will be your choice.

If you are bad in first person shooter and always playing Sniper ---> BB is the class for you (except you are a teamplayer and knows your first main targets [Cruiser]) / Take guns out not Hitpoints !!!!!

If you are good in RTS (Real Time Strategy) ---> CV will be the class to play with.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

o7 forum-goers, which nation's cruiser/destroyers line do you guys suggest I go down? I'm coming from World of Tanks being mainly a medium tank/light tank player if that helps.

You will enjoy American or IJN CA and IJN DD, American DD are a bit harder to do well in. 

29 posts
825 battles

I would recommend the US Cruiser line. From my first impression with them they focus on "More Dakka!" meaning good rof and accuracy isn't much of an issue as you aren't punished that much if you miss. Note though they are still very lightly armored so slugging it out with heavy hitters must be avoided. The IJN cruisers by comparison are also amazing, especially my beloved Kuma. They're more torp heavy but their armaments are still decent enough to sting most. 

Also in the US cruiser line you get the notorious St. Loius, which is  a dpm monster.:trollface: I can already sense the nerfbat coming to it though. So might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

As for BBs I will confess it's a test of patience. Especially the IJN line, the first 2 BBs are frustrating tubs in stock. You will be outranged by even cruisers and DDs in the Kawachi. The Myogi is slightly better with speed and longer range going for it. But again stock it's a bit of a chore to play in. The Kongou though at tier V is totally worth it. Don't have a US BB yet but from some of my friend's testimony they're slower than the IJNs they also are outranged so you gotta get in rather close to brawl.

I can only speak though for the first few tiers as I have yet to reach tier VI. But these are my impressions for what I've played in so far.

I can agree on the DDs, they take a bit of skill and titanium nuts to master. Light glass cannons, but a very good DD can wreck even a team of BBs.

Edited by CommissarPraetor