Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Alfreuson

Main battery mods... Some clarifications needed...

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
140 posts
740 battles

Mod 2

+10% loading time

+15% aiming speed

Mod 3

-12% loading time

-17% aiming speed

let's take these two examples: 180 degree turn time 45s and 72s

Given that mods buffs/nerfs by percentage, my questions are:

1. Does this mean that with mod 2, the 45s gains more aiming speed than 72s? coz 45s is faster, means that it has higher aiming speed, thus will generate higher % value.

2. And does this mean that with mod 3, the 72s gains less penalty than the 45s? coz 72s is slower, means that it has lower aiming speed, thus will generate lower % value.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Mod2 :Load Slower, Aim Faster

Mod 3: Load Faster, Aim Slower

Hope this helps.

(I've brought this up , multiple times in weekend/cbt about the need to tell players if something is giving a buff or a nerf to the ship, Green for buff and Red for nerf (like when you upgrade modules on your ship).

Beta Tester
140 posts
740 battles

Mod2 :Load Slower, Aim Faster

Mod 3: Load Faster, Aim Slower

Hope this helps.

(I've brought this up , multiple times in weekend/cbt about the need to tell players if something is giving a buff or a nerf to the ship, Green for buff and Red for nerf (like when you upgrade modules on your ship).

I know, but my concern is which benefits more / takes less penalty.

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Hard to quantify, because we cant really say how much of an impact on DPM aim speed will have for any particular player.

I still reckon those descriptions should talk about turret rotation speed rather than aim speed. 

Alpha Tester
44 posts
695 battles

Aim speed= turret traverse.

For example on a ship like the Warspite with approx 72 sec 180 traverse you can get it to just below 60 sec, a huge improvement.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Aim speed= turret traverse.

For example on a ship like the Warspite with approx 72 sec 180 traverse you can get it to just below 60 sec, a huge improvement.

Good clarification. I think a lot of new players think aim speed is like the reticle narrowing in WoT - not the turret moving.

Beta Tester
140 posts
740 battles

Good clarification. I think a lot of new players think aim speed is like the reticle narrowing in WoT - not the turret moving.

Yes, useful for newbies, but my very question remains a "?:(

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Yes, useful for newbies, but my very question remains a "?":(

You have to look at each ships specs and see what brings the most benefit. It's not one module fits all. 

Like Yarra's Warspite example. If you have that ship and are constantly getting caught out with your turrets the wrong way, Mod 2 may be best for you.

If you have a ship with fast turning turrets, Mod 3 may be best for you as you can get off more shots faster.

You also have to take your gameplay style into account. For example, If you are a BB player who likes to play like arty (not an insult to those of you out there, just an observation :sceptic:) faster turrets don't do much for you. You need to get off as many shots per game as possible due to decreased accuracy.

Edited by Krieg

Beta Tester
140 posts
740 battles

You have to look at each ships specs and see what brings the most benefit. It's not one module fits all. 

Like Yarra's Warspite example. If you have that ship and are constantly getting caught out with your turrets the wrong way, Mod 2 may be best for you.

If you have a ship with fast turning turrets, Mod 3 may be best for you as you can get off more shots faster.

You also have to take your gameplay style into account. For example, If you are a BB player who likes to play like arty (not an insult to those of you out there, just an observation :sceptic:) faster turrets don't do much for you. You need to get off as many shots per game as possible due to decreased accuracy.

I am very aware of those, and you missed the point of my questions mate.

1. Does this mean that with mod 2, the 45s gains more aiming speed than 72s? coz 45s is faster, means that it has higher aiming speed, thus will generate higher % value.

2. And does this mean that with mod 3, the 72s gains less penalty than the 45s? coz 72s is slower, means that it has lower aiming speed, thus will generate lower % value.

Let me elaborate:

Let's give the values:

45s --------- 180 degrees / 45s = 4 degrees per second = aiming speed

72s --------- 180 degrees / 72s = 2.5 degrees per second = ^

Mod 2 = +15%

4 * 0.15    = 0.6 ----------> means that the battery with faster aiming speed benefits more from mod 2.

2.5 * 0.15 = 0.375

Mod 3 = -17%

4 * 0.17    = 0.68

2.5 * 0.17 = 0.425 -------> means that the battery with slower aiming speed receives less penalty from mod 3.

I need some dev to confirm if my formula is the same as what they have in game... :unsure:

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Ok, lets look at the numbers here. The rotation speed is the value specifically mentioned, so we'll apply the buffs to that. 

Rotation speed of gun#1 (180 in 45s) = 4deg/s

Rotation speed gun#2 (180 in 72s) = 2.5deg/s

If we pick the rotation speed increase mod, then the values are adjusted as such:

gun#1, 4deg/s * 1.15 = 4.6deg/s 

gun#2, 2.5deg/s * 1.15 = 2.875deg/s 

So looking at it that way, gun#1 gets a larger magnitude rotation speed increase (0.6deg/s compared to 0.375deg/s).

But now lets look at how that affects rotation times.

gun#1, 180 deg / 4.6deg/s = 39.1s* (some rounding)

gun#2, 180deg / 2.875deg/s = 62.6s (again, some rounding)

So looking at it from that perspective, gun#2 gets the larger magnitude decrease in rotation time (9.4 sec compared to 5.9sec)

So, do you want a 6 second decrease to your 180 degree rotation time on a reasonably quick turret, or a 9 second decrease in 180 degree rotation time on a fairly slow turret? 

And for the rotation speed decrease mod (skipping the working, but feel free to check it yourself)

gun#1 180 degree time = 54.2s**

gun#2 180 degree time = 86.7s

Again, the slower gun shows the larger magnitude change (14.7s vs 9.2s). So you can make a relatively quick turret spin 9 sec slower, or a relatively slow turret spin 15 sec slower. 

Slow turrets see a smaller magnitude change in spin speed, but a larger magnitude change in rotation time compared to a faster turret with the same mod.

Does that help?

Edit: Typos

*Note that 39.1*1.15=45, so this is a 15% change. 

**54.2*0.83=45, a 17% change.

Edited by karl0ssus1

Beta Tester
140 posts
740 battles

Ok, lets look at the numbers here. The rotation speed is the value specifically mentioned, so we'll apply the buffs to that. 

Rotation speed of gun#1 (180 in 45s) = 4deg/s

Rotation speed gun#2 (180 in 72s) = 2.5deg/s

If we pick the rotation speed increase mod, then the values are adjusted as such:

gun#1, 4deg/s * 1.15 = 4.6deg/s 

gun#2, 2.5deg/s * 1.15 = 2.875deg/s 

So looking at it that way, gun#1 gets a larger magnitude rotation speed increase (0.6deg/s compared to 0.375deg/s).

But now lets look at how that affects rotation times.

gun#1, 180 deg / 4.6deg/s = 39.1s* (some rounding)

gun#2, 180deg / 2.875deg/s = 62.6s (again, some rounding)

So looking at it from that perspective, gun#2 gets the larger magnitude decrease in rotation time (9.4 sec compared to 5.9sec)

So, do you want a 6 second decrease to your 180 degree rotation time on a reasonably quick turret, or a 9 second decrease in 180 degree rotation time on a fairly slow turret? 

And for the rotation speed decrease mod (skipping the working, but feel free to check it yourself)

gun#1 180 degree time = 54.2s**

gun#2 180 degree time = 86.7s

Again, the slower gun shows the larger magnitude change (14.7s vs 9.2s). So you can make a relatively quick turret spin 9 sec slower, or a relatively slow turret spin 15 sec slower. 

Slow turrets see a smaller magnitude change in spin speed, but a larger magnitude change in rotation time compared to a faster turret with the same mod.

Does that help?

Edit: Typos

*Note that 39.1*1.15=45, so this is a 15% change. 

**54.2*0.83=45, a 17% change.

ohhhhhhh, damn... missed those, thanks! :D

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,494 battles

Also consider that actual usefulness isn't linear. For example, Myougi's turrets get a nice boost from the +15% module. However, in practical terms it's pointless due to the ship not being a brawler and also having relatively fast turrets to begin with. It rarely needs the extra speed - the secondary range module or accuracy module (maybe, this one's pretty vague) would be more useful instead.

Personally, I don't think the turning boost is worth the loss of reload speed anyway. With just the Captain skill, even a 72s turret becomes 56s which is quite manageable.

Sign in to follow this