Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Haku

World of Warships: A Review.

7 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Since I've been pestered by many people in World of Tanks to do a review of World of Warships, here it is. However, due to the unique way that Wargaming is run (does his best Jeremy Clarkson impersonation), I am not allowed to post this in the World of Tanks forum. That being said, it did have 21k players on the second day of its opening (on the Asia server alone).

Where do I start? What you know about World of Tanks, throw it all out the window. World of Warships comprises of 4 classes (so far): Destroyer (DD), Cruiser (CA, or CL), Battleship (BB) and Aircraft Carrier (CV). The destroyers have access to torpedoes, and speed, but no armour. The battleships are hulking masses; heavily armoured, heavily armed, packing firepower that would still shock and awe in this day and age. Cruisers are a mix between DDs and BBs (multi-purpose; can do anything to anything). Some cruisers may even contain torpedoes (mostly Japanese, but I digress).

In case you missed it, here is the trailer:

One thing to take away from the trailer is that it likes to play up the fact that ship-to-ship interactions are basically a rock-paper-scissors (lizard Spock?) relationship:

Picture-1-EN_zpsb6xmrxnc.jpg

Note that this is not an ironclad rule; this is merely a guideline. Do not, for instance, be surprised if a destroyer manages to kill your cruiser.

One of the key things about WoT was that if you want to win, you need to destroy the enemy that are in the way of your win. To destroy the enemy, you have to do damage. This has not changed much in World of Warships. You do this by either cannons or torpedoes. Torpedoes are fairly self-explanatory. The cannons are basically artillery pieces (which makes us all arty fa...cigarettes), but the feel is very different compared to World of Tanks. The amount of lag in the form of shell travel time is much greater than anything experienced in World of Tanks, and a player has to learn and master gunnery in order to do damage.

Do you want to win? Do you know that little aspect called teamwork that you ignored in WoT? Embrace it. Teamwork is much more integral compared to WoT in this game. The DPS style of play in WoT? Forget it. Lone wolves will be punished for it, very severely. A symbiotic relationship exists between the ship classes; battleships are vulnerable to aircraft (owing to lousy AA systems). Cruisers have good AA systems, and can form a protective screen for the battleship to protect it from enemy aircraft. That is one of several symbioses that are present in the game.

Simply put, always stay together. No matter what. If everyone is going one way, go with them. Otherwise, you could will end up like this poor fellow.

Personally, I like World of Warships. It is a great game, slower than World of Tanks and very much more teamwork-oriented. It is a welcome and refreshing change to World of Tanks, and brings out the engineering geek in me. Right now, the newbies are out in force; that is to be expected considering that it was just opened to the public. This allows for a lot of easy grinding and easy kills, but once the community figures out how to play, it should be great!

Edited by Haku

2 posts

Nice review!

Yes it is more team oriented that's what I thought too. Also far more punishing  if you make a bad move unlike WoT where you can run away in a fast tank, you will almost always be destroyed if you YOLO, even in a destroyer!

P.S. I play WOWS on eu server.

Edited by Nitrox

Alpha Tester
208 posts
212 battles

But in WoWS , unlike in WoT,  A stock ship isn't always a liability - It is at least of use to the team firing it's guns(High Explosive) or Torpedos at the enemy to damage them . 

Pretty sure someone brought up the example of ST-1 with 122mm D-25T somewhere.. 

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Ah, that is something I forgot to mention. You actually can face ships several tiers higher than you. Do not be disheartened for having a lower tier vehicle. You can still take a chunk of meat out of the enemy. In this game, the equivalent of a T20 could take on a Maus and win. A ELC AMX could take on a Maus and win.

If anything the Maus is more scared of the ELC AMX than the ELC AMX is of the Maus (those meddling torpedoes...).

Nice review!

Yes it is more team oriented that's what I thought too. Also far more punishing  if you make a bad move unlike WoT where you can run away in a fast tank, you will almost always be destroyed if you YOLO, even in a destroyer!

P.S. I play WOWS on eu server.

And you do that because...?

Edited by Haku

1 post
368 battles

Fantastic review! Unfortunately, I'm one of those newbies, however I've been following World of Warships for a while now because of Jingles, so I do have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. Hell, I didn't get my first defeat until I had won 6 times in a row, with some pretty high credit and xp rolls too. I'm falling in love with this game tbh, it's one of the funnest games I've played in a long time. Plus its an mmo from wargaming, so there is a great community behind it. Personally, I've been going down the Jap line (atm I have the Umikaze, Tenryu, Kuma and Kawachi) as I like the long range torpedo aspect. I have only gotten up to the St Louis and South Carolina in the Americans though. I'm not liking how there is only 6 port slots, but I guess that's the same with WoT so I'll have to make do for now I guess. Anyway, good review and great game.

2 posts

Ah, that is something I forgot to mention. You actually can face ships several tiers higher than you. Do not be disheartened for having a lower tier vehicle. You can still take a chunk of meat out of the enemy. In this game, the equivalent of a T20 could take on a Maus and win. A ELC AMX could take on a Maus and win.

If anything the Maus is more scared of the ELC AMX than the ELC AMX is of the Maus (those meddling torpedoes...).

And you do that because...?

I am in EU so if I have to start a new account, might as well do it in EU. Sorry about the late reply.

Sign in to follow this