Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fear_the_Reaper

World of frustration grinding

32 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

So the main thing i have noticed in OBT after being a closed beta tester is the "frustration grinding" that has been built into the game to try and encourage people to spend money on free experience and it is not ok in my opinion.

Lets use the tier 7 American BB as an example here, The Colorado is a tier 7 ship that has an AA rating of 4 for at the least its first 34 battles (assuming you average 1k xp per battle in it) that is up to 11 hours in battle gameplay playing a ship that can see tier 9 aircraft carriers with basically no AA cover at all, not only that it is less maneuverable and has less HP for those 11 hours of gameplay... 

Anyone not see the problem? 

Making these ships frustrating to play while i am grinding them is not making me want to spend money on your game, it is making me want to stop playing it plain and simple. 

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

How is this any different from the WoT model? Anyone remember the Tiger I stock grind?

There can't always be a smooth sailing grind, otherwise progress would be too easy. The tougher XP requirements are also a skill wall that prevents any Joe from reaching higher tiers until they're ready, they aren't just a method of encouraging free XP use for those who can afford to do so.

Edited by benlisquare

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

I guess one of the advantages of being in CBT was the foresight of seeing which ship/mod would be a pain to grind/play and using that information to plan your use of Free XP.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

How is this any different from the WoT model? Anyone remember the Tiger I stock grind?

There can't always be a smooth sailing grind, otherwise progress would be too easy.

In world of tanks there is a solution for stock grinding which is "Load gold" which does not work here because there is no premium ammunition and pemium ammunition really would not do much to help in this game anyway unless it was say HE shells that do more damage or cause more fires and i think i can safely say no one wants that so the better solution is remove some of the frustration grinding. 

I am not saying make it so it takes less XP to unlock a ship, just remove the useless hulls that are only there so people will be frustrated for up to the first 10 hours of gameplay in that ship. 

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

I guess one of the advantages of being in CBT was the foresight of seeing which ship/mod would be a pain to grind/play and using that information to plan your use of Free XP.

What free xp? 

I did 1300 battles in CBT and i got 3k free xp for it haha....

I had over 120k xp saved just on my Des moines, but nope no free xp for me lol. 

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

In world of tanks there is a solution for stock grinding which is "Load gold" which does not work here because there is no premium ammunition and pemium ammunition really would not do much to help in this game anyway unless it was say HE shells that do more damage or cause more fires and i think i can safely say no one wants that. 

I've been told that on the NA forums, a moderator hinted that premium ammunition will become a thing in the future. If I remember correctly, it was Gunlion who said this (before he was fired due to the Humble Bundle fiasco).

Edited by benlisquare

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

I've been told that on the NA forums, a moderator hinted that premium ammunition will become a thing in the future. If I remember correctly, it was Gunlion who said this (before he was fired due to the Humble Bundle fiasco).

They would have tested it with you guys by now if premium ammo was coming surely? 

61 posts
123 battles

so there will be a sprem qq thread like wot in future ?

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

They would have tested it with you guys by now if premium ammo was coming surely? 

I'm not in any position to share anything that isn't already public domain knowledge.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

thats just it though, what prem ammo could you add? we already have AP, HE and torps, VT was not invented till after WWII and its for AA anyway, Bunker Busters are for NGS, same as White Phosphorous. What other shell types are there 

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

I'm not in any position to share anything that isn't already public domain knowledge.

Oh right NDA. Damn it why didnt they make me a super tester. i want to know haha :teethhappy:

thats just it though, what prem ammo could you add? we already have AP, HE and torps, VT was not invented till after WWII and its for AA anyway, Bunker Busters are for NGS, same as White Phosphorous. What other shell types are there 

AP with higher shell velocity, HE that does more damage. 

Likely what premium ammo will be if it is implemented. 

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

What free xp? 

I did 1300 battles in CBT and i got 3k free xp for it haha....

I had over 120k xp saved just on my Des moines, but nope no free xp for me lol. 

Thats extremely low compared to my experience, did you ever go back and use any of your elite/prem ships? or focused on the grind?

I was able to Free EXP all of my Furutaka hulls (~7000XP) with my free XP from playing my Warspite and Yubari.

Edited by Chawp

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

I have no clue about Naval ammunition but what about supercharger shells I've been hearing about? It sounds like a good name for premium ammo.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

"Frustration grinding" is the model that World of Tanks uses - like I mentioned before, long ago, you're not intended to charge up the tiers extremely quickly. 

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Whats extremely low compared to my experience, did you ever go back and use any of your elite/prem ships? or focused on the grind?

I was able to Free EXP all of my Furutaka hulls (~7000XP) with my free XP from playing my Warspite and Yubari.

Nope, hardly played my premium ships, I had the tier 9 merican BB, the tier 10 merican CA, the tier 9 Japanese CA and the tier 10 japanese BB, not to mention tier 6 and 7 destroyers and a tier 5 CV, i was expecting to nearly be able to free xp all the way up to at least tier 8 but yeah i only got 3k free xp.

i was a bit like "Wtf is this" but i figured everyone just got next to nothing.

Heck i was given 7 crew skills and 30 signal flags so i was in the top 10% of beta testers so idk wtf tbh. 

Edit: Halken just explained it to me, if i had have used my prem ships more and converted the xp then i would have gotten a bunch of free xp.

"Frustration grinding" is the model that World of Tanks uses - like I mentioned before, long ago, you're not intended to charge up the tiers extremely quickly. 

It does not need to be as frustrating as it is though. 

Making it this frustrating is just asking people to stop playing especially considering 70% of the community will never spend a dollar on the game. 

Beta Tester
70 posts
991 battles

At First It will be frustrating due to the shift from CBT to OBT, The devs need to adjust to a more grinding stage of the game to prepare us all players that this OBT grinding will be close to the Live or Final Version of the Game. So it's normal if you played a lot during the CBT well you need to adjust yourself that sooner or later the Grinding will be painful in the next succeeding months specially when it goes Live. 

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

Oh right NDA. Damn it why didnt they make me a super tester. i want to know haha :teethhappy:

AP with higher shell velocity, HE that does more damage. 

Likely what premium ammo will be if it is implemented. 

suppose they could use HEAP (referred to as APHE) less penetration more bang. There are many other types of rounds, most were experimental, and all of them are still classified (some are in use today)

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

They might just add Sanshiki just for the lulz.

There is also the proximity fuse AA shells which tore up the IJN planes near the end of the war.

(Not like there was any skilled pilots left by then and most of them were kamikaze pilots)

If my thinking is correct, "SPREM" ammo might just be your standard ammo with a faster reload (We already see it happening for consumables) or just more Dmg/Pen.

Edited by Windforce

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

suppose they could use HEAP (referred to as APHE) less penetration more bang. There are many other types of rounds, most were experimental, and all of them are still classified (some are in use today)

yeah the japanese also had "Beehive" rounds for their battleships which were for AA defense, admitted they never shot down a plane but they existed

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Not all shells are created equal. The US 16" guns initially fired a 1000kg mk5 shell, but were soon upgraded to fire 1200kg mk8 shells, with superior penetration characteristics. Options for higher penetration rounds are probably there for many of the guns. Or just some sort of nonsense "Advanced Ballistic Caps" type thing which magically improves pen without having to worry too much about historical authenticity if different shells cannot be located. 

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Not all shells are created equal. The US 16" guns initially fired a 1000kg mk5 shell, but were soon upgraded to fire 1200kg mk8 shells, with superior penetration characteristics. Options for higher penetration rounds are probably there for many of the guns. Or just some sort of nonsense "Advanced Ballistic Caps" type thing which magically improves pen without having to worry too much about historical authenticity if different shells cannot be located. 

Still when i think about premium ammo in this game especially this comes to mind

u6MdTde.jpg

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Pretty much. Steeltrap made some good posts about it back in alpha/beta (cbf finding and linking), and I remain hopeful that WG will make the right decision and keep sprem rounds out of the game. 

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

As it is right now, the only thing that frustrates me is the lack of 10km torpedoes on my DDs and also I have to free xp thru the BBs to get my CVs

Having to sidegrade to get into half the lines is a complete insult. The tech trees are a little bit irritating in their current layout.

Sign in to follow this