Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mr_C

Nasty control and shot delay.

8 comments in this topic

7 posts
128 battles

Hey guys,

I've been getting some serious latency like issues when playing WoWS lately. My latency is generally around 90ms, so pretty good, but I get a solid 1 to 2 seconds of delay in game. It means I my ship won't start turning until a second or two after the rudder has shifted all the way, I also have to have my shots land about 1-2 ship lengths infront of where I see ships for them to register as hits. This is making playing my nimble ships very difficult.

Anyone else getting something similar? I'm running 100/40 fiber, nothing is sucking bandwidth or running in the background, frame rate is fine. 

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

yup sound like a desync to me. happens to me sometime too even though my ping is not that. there was a time where i tried to fired torpedo at my port-side but it was released at starboard side. i'm glad that my allies manage to avoid them.

7 posts
128 battles

I'm located in Australia. Regarding that link Kanade_, is there somewhere I can read that that isn't in the CBT forums?

Beta Tester
72 posts
114 battles

I'm located in Australia. Regarding that link Kanade_, is there somewhere I can read that that isn't in the CBT forums?

I don't think so unfortunately. it's been posted under "bug report" section. Here's the OP's post for that thread:

NOTE: I am logging this on behalf of a friend of mine. He tried support only to find there is no support. I tried a PM to Conan but no reply; that's not a complaint, I made it clear I understand he probably has better things to do, but hoped he might pass it on somewhere.

My friend bought his way into CB. He can't play at all, and of course has been losing his premium time (although I suppose that's not a great issue if it's refunded after the wipe).

IssueClient and server de-synch so ship is not where it appears on screen.

Screenshots: N/A

Ship: All

Map: All

Occurrences: Every battle

TestedAble to replicate

SeverityGame Breaking

Details: When the game starts, all seems in order. Over time, however, there is a progressive de-synch between the server and client. Eventually the server will reckon the ship to be hundreds of meters away from where it appears on-screen. You can imagine how that goes with navigation and shooting.

There is also an increasing delay in actions.

Putting the rudder hard over can take up to 10 seconds to have any visible effect, and then the visible effect is wonky in terms of the wake appears to be according to what the server thinks it should be but the ship itself is showing on screen in its 'delayed' state; the wake can end up at right angles to the ship, and the ship's motion across the sea is entirely wonky to look at.

Firing guns can take seconds to happen, or not happen at all. Given the de-synch, the muzzle blast and projectiles can appear a few hundred meters to your side or ahead/astern based on where the server says you are.

Game is entirely unplayable. This happened with the LAST update, and the latest has not corrected it.

The thread has 100 replies (most popular in the section) with various members reporting this bug and trying all sorts of "solutions". Though as you can imagine, the problem is on the client/server side not us. Mind you this has been going around for a months now.

The official moderator has yet to acknowledge this bug however I happened to create a ticket and one of the support team replied with the following message below:

Thank you for contacting Wargaming.net Support service.
We have notice a bug which will display incorrect ping value in-game, which should be fixed very soon.

In regards of the issue caused by latency or de-sync related, we are currently investigating and will try to provide a fix as soon as possible.
If you are using any unofficial mods, we also recommend you to remove the mods in case of any unexpected issue. 

We apologize for the inconveniences caused and thank you for your kind understandings.
If you have any other inquiry, please contact us again.
Thank you for supporting Wargaming.net 
Best Regards,
Odyssey Maxwell

Wargaming.net ASIA support
https://asia.wargaming.net/support

So yeah... It seems like they took notice of this bug though they've yet to make official statement about it. And God knows when they'll release a fix.

Sorry if all of these sound useless. I'd love to direct new players experiencing de-sync problem to read that thread but yeah... Anyway it's an ongoing game-breaking bug that needs to be fixed asap.

7 posts
128 battles

Many thanks mate, at least there is recognition of the problem. Hopefully a fix will be implemented soon, it makes gameplay really quite annoying.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

I got a different response to my ticket regarding this issue:

The latency indicator has been changed in patch 0.4.0.1, which should be able to display the correct latency now.
In regards of the de-sync issue, we are still investigating this issue, please send us any battle recording or in-game screen shots if possible.

In the meantime, please try the following solution:
1. Open launcher settings (the "tool" icon to the upper right of launcher screen), and check the "Allow to use torrent" option.
2. Run client launcher as Administrator. (right click on the short cut and select "Run as Administrator")
3. Set "WOTlauncher.exe" in your firewall and antivirus exception filter/allow list. (or disable antivirus before running the game.)
4. Updating graphics card driver.

Just the standard response to "help my game is lagging" tickets, I guess. My theory is that this de-sync effect is intentional and has been implemented to smooth out bad packet-loss and rubberbanding issues. It seems my connection is being flagged as unstable - possibly due to a flaky iiNet router in Adelaide (which isn't actually causing me lag or packet-loss) - and so triggering this anti-lag mechanism.

It's interesting to note that the client seems to know the exact position of the ships when de-synced. Shell-fire (which is seemingly unaffected by the ~2500ms delay) will visibly impact on the real, invisible locations of targets or pass harmlessly through the visible ship we see on-screen. Either the client has this positional info or the server is sending it without any delay. It's bizarre.

Sign in to follow this