You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Amir4wise

Imbalanced Matchmaker Tier 4

15 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2 posts
732 battles

I'm gonna do my best not to start a flame war, but I think it needs to be said. The matchmaker at tier 4 is... well, it's hard to find a word for it, the best I can say is that it's screwy. What do I mean by that? Well, take a look at this screenshot:

When CVs dominate.jpg

2 separate games, and in both games, only the enemy team has an aircraft carrier. Guess what, they wrecked my team COMPLETELY. At tier 4, a single aircraft carrier can reign supreme because simply put, there's no way to counter it.

Now, this is where I start going into my arguments, but before I do, I'm just gonna say, I don't think CVs are broken. In fact I feel as you progress up the tiers they become more balanced as more and more counters against them become available, or at least stronger. They're not as hated as artillery is in WoT simply because of the fact that you can counter them or at the worst of times, anticipate them.

However, at tier 4 where CVs pop up, these counters are severely limited. Very few ships have any amount of significant anti-air armaments, with the only exception possibly being the Yubari. Even then, Yubaris are rare because they are premium ships, not everyone is going to have them, and the presence of only one Yubari won't make a game changing difference.

To this end, the only real, hard counter to carrier borne torpedo bombers at tier 4, are carrier borne fighters. They are the only thing effectively capable of stopping TBs from running rampant. So what happens when one side gets a CV with an anti-ship loadout and the other side gets nothing? Well, as far as I've seen, complete and total annihilation. Because in a battle, the ships that don't have air support, the BBs, the CAs, and to a certain extent the DDs, have to constantly be on the lookout for enemy TBs while the other side can blast their guns away without once looking to the skies. Is that fair or balanced? Absolutely not. 

It is still possible to win in these impossible odds, things can happen, player skill becomes involved. But take player skill out of that equation and things look a bit grim. The matchmaker is supposed to create a fair and balanced match, at least in terms of ship composition and we can see that there are times when it does not.

I do understand that yes, it's the start of Open Beta, and people are coming in and taking their time to get carriers. But without a hard rule, even with more carriers becoming available in the queue, this can still happen. There needs to be a hard, set, unbreakable rule added, at least at tier 4 where if one side gets a CV, the other side needs to get one as well. Otherwise the game becomes unbearable for everyone involved.

Thank you for taking time reading this, and post your opinions on it.

When CVs dominate.jpg

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

It's been something players have been asking for since CBT, really.

If there's only one carrier in the queue, let that carrier stay in the queue until another one joins. 

Back in CBT, with our low player population and the need for matches to be played to generate data, it was still acceptable, although incredibly annoying, for matches to proceed with one side having carriers and the other not. Now that we're up to 10-15k players at peak, MM really needs to only place carriers in matches where there are opposing carriers on the other team.

Now, matching carriers on another tier is a different issue, but one that definitely should be looked at as well. But for tier III/IV matches? My opinion, as a player, is that if a carrier player queues, they'll have to be put in a game where there is at least a carrier on the other team.

Beta Tester
2 posts
732 battles

Back in CBT, with our low player population and the need for matches to be played to generate data, it was still acceptable, although incredibly annoying, for matches to proceed with one side having carriers and the other not. Now that we're up to 10-15k players at peak, MM really needs to only place carriers in matches where there are opposing carriers on the other team.

Yup, and without a hard rule for it, even with 30k players around, you will get games in this configuration popping up occasionally... based on experiences I have with WoT's matchmaker...

Beta Tester
62 posts
772 battles

The Funpart to this is, that the CV with each Tier goes stronger and stronger and you cant counter with a sneaky DD. (Tier 8+)

"Yubari" at Tier 4 is nerved to death so no one is playing this "AA Beauty".

The problem is that a CV is the core element of the current game_setting. Damage output is insane and every one enjoys the matches without Carrier´s.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Agreed. The above happened to me in my first battle last night. My team was total torpedo meat.

In my second battle my tier 4 was in a battle vs Tier 7 CVs :angry:

Third battle was finally tier 4. However, since the time I had set aside to play for the evening had expired I left the keyboard rather unsatisfied :(

Beta Tester
12 posts
25 battles

I hope they fix the number of CVs included in a match. Like for example, if there are 2 CVs in the blue side, there should be 2 CVs in the other side as well. Meaning Team1 No. of CVs = Team2 No.of CVs.

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

The MM must be balanced around CV's. Even if they are not doing much damage their spotting still gives a massive advantage.

I really hope that by the time we have a much larger number of players MM anomalies will be quite infrequent.

Beta Tester
62 posts
772 battles

In my opinion they have to create the CV as a part of the team and not the core element.

Part of the team means, it will be not really relevant if your team is losing a carrier or not.

If you cover the CV with AA (Cleveland/Aoba), then they go for the unprotected BB´s.

At the end each team is just defending, meanwhile I am up to 15% draw (Tier 6+), just because of the current game_setting around the CV.

Super Tester
509 posts

More like WG's way of nation-specializing Carriers turned the game into this way.

Yeah I had unlocked the US carriers then didnt play for awhile as I was on vacation. When I came back suddenly my US Carriers had all the plane lineups changed to carry tons of the useless dive bombers rather than the decent torp bombers. No idea why they had to do that. Just means I will now grind the IJN carrier line as its torp heavy in OBT.

Beta Tester
140 posts
740 battles

In tier 4, I almost always get into the team with no CV and the enemy team having it, guess what? It's the main reason my win rate dropped from 51% down to 45% in less tahn 48 hrs... :sceptic: