You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
admiral_tee

Atlanta AA rating: in-game graphics and the 5" guns

10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,187 battles

Hi all,

I am not sure of the connection between the AA ratings of the warships and the in-game graphics showing the AA guns firing.

Here's what I mean:

• The Atlanta's main battery is 16 5" guns in twin mounts.
  • It's main battery is also it main AA battery, supplemented by small calibre guns.
  • When planes are close you see the smaller calibre guns moving and firing but of course the main guns which are also dual purpose AA guns in real life, do not move.
    • Is the AA value of the 14 5: guns taken into account and "fire" at the aircraft in the game, just the player has no control over them and there is no "graphic animation" showing this?
    • The Cleveland cruiser and other US ships have this same gun as their primary AA weapon yet these are also stationary when "firing" at planes as there is no "graphical animation" representing them firing at planes.

Thoughts guys?

Tee

Edited by admiral_tee

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

See those HMGs on your ship? Are they really move around to aim and shoot?
Same goes to low caliber Dual purposes guns
In here you can still use your gun for battle and still able to give damage to Planes around

Edit: There are no Graphic Animation for that yet, but i would be great if there is (but painful for my laptop)

Edited by Harpoon01

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Your main batteries will not visibly aim and shoot at aircraft, but they ARE applying their DPS to squadrons in the area.

If you want to see the most AA effects, turn on Animate Small Objects in the settings.

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,187 battles

See those HMGs on your ship? Are they really move around to aim and shoot?

Same goes to low caliber Dual purposes guns

In here you can still use your gun for battle and still able to give damage to Planes around

Edit: There are no Graphic Animation for that yet, but i would be great if there is (but painful for my laptop)

Ahh ok.

So even though there''s no graphical animations showing the dual purpose 5" guns firing at the planes, the Aa rating for the Atlanta does include these guns.

Hmm, ok.

It seems they do a lot less than what they used to do pre-wipe.

Tee

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,187 battles

Your main batteries will not visibly aim and shoot at aircraft, but they ARE applying their DPS to squadrons in the area.

If you want to see the most AA effects, turn on Animate Small Objects in the settings.

I have the settings set to Max and the smaller guns do move/fire at aircraft.

Thanks for clarifying that the large dual purpose guns do add their DPS to AA fire :)

Tee

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Ahh ok.

So even though there''s no graphical animations showing the dual purpose 5" guns firing at the planes, the Aa rating for the Atlanta does include these guns.

Hmm, ok.

It seems they do a lot less than what they used to do pre-wipe.

Tee

I was wondering how that worked myself.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

5" DP guns have a long range (for AA) but relatively low DPS. I'll use Baltimore as an example since Atlanta isn't on the tech tree at the moment and I can't see its stats:

23 x 20mm guns: 115 dps out to a range of 2.1km.

48 x 40mm guns: 216 dps out to a range of 3.5km.

12 x 5" guns: 36 dps out to a range of 5.0km.

As you can see, the real plane-shredding power comes from the autocannons. The 5" DPs do get a boost from the Barrage skill, but it's still not going to compare to the autocannons.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I have the settings set to Max and the smaller guns do move/fire at aircraft.

Thanks for clarifying that the large dual purpose guns do add their DPS to AA fire :)

Tee

It's funny to watch on a DD or CA with DP guns - you'll see rounds fly off into mid air while you are tracking a surface target!

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

When you play DD, you won't care much and you might feel better if you turn that setting off (Small animation)

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

5" DP guns have a long range (for AA) but relatively low DPS. I'll use Baltimore as an example since Atlanta isn't on the tech tree at the moment and I can't see its stats:

23 x 20mm guns: 115 dps out to a range of 2.1km.

48 x 40mm guns: 216 dps out to a range of 3.5km.

12 x 5" guns: 36 dps out to a range of 5.0km.

As you can see, the real plane-shredding power comes from the autocannons. The 5" DPs do get a boost from the Barrage skill, but it's still not going to compare to the autocannons.

While you are at it,

What's the confirmed range of Baltimore 48 x 44mm AA guns with the AA Tier 2 upgrade modules, and Captain Tier 4 AA skill upgrade?

Is it 3.5km + 40% or 3.5km + 20% + 20%?