C_H_I_K_O_K_O

Concern about the folder size

11 comments in this topic

6 posts
296 battles

Okay so since the server is opened for public now many people will download and try the game as soon as possible.

Including me.

Problem is i've been installing this game for an hour or so.

I opened task manager and see the HDD stress percentage turns out the HDD do not really that stressed so i went to check the folder size to see if it progressing or not

and here is what i get :

KS4goxQ.png

note that the launcher still extracting the game when this thread created.

So my question is

Please take a look at contained files and folder on the above image.

is this normal ? like 90k small files ?? not packaged into 1 big file ??

Edited by C_H_I_K_O_K_O

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Uhhh, this is normal?

If you're worried about space, then once your game is done patching and fully installed, you can delete the files in the updates folder

6 posts
296 battles

Thanks for the reply

Nah im not really worried about the space.

But that thousands of small files is what concern me so much.

(A little misleading thread title since i don't know how to phrasing this problem )

Edited :

I install the game on External HDD under FAT32 format if that would help to identify the problem

Edited by C_H_I_K_O_K_O

6 posts
296 battles

Here's what i'm getting at.

I've finished installing the update 

and the folder contains about 111,070 files. Wouldn't it be better if WG somehow pack them into one big files like what they did with WoT ?

i mean it's a common knowledge that 1 Big files is better than thousands of small files in KB when loading the data in term of performance.

I'm no expert at hardware stuff but i think it's also will longer the lifespan of hard drive.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Here's what i'm getting at.

I've finished installing the update 

and the folder contains about 111,070 files. Wouldn't it be better if WG somehow pack them into one big files like what they did with WoT ?

i mean it's a common knowledge that 1 Big files is better than thousands of small files in KB when loading the data in term of performance.

I'm no expert at hardware stuff but i think it's also will longer the lifespan of hard drive.

You have not played many games in BETA i take it? 

They will get around to it, I believe the focus is set on other things at the moment, performance issues will be put on priority when the game is actually working properly so i would not stress too much about it while we are still in testing. 

[WOLF]
Alpha Tester
60 posts
3,641 battles

When you completed your patch update. Every files inside folder named "updates" are unnecessary because it already patch up into the core game files.

You can delete anything inside that folder to save more space on your HDD. (But do not delete the folder no matter what!)

Edited by LtZetarn

6 posts
296 battles

They'll get around to it I'm sure. At the moment bugs are a bigger focus.

You have not played many games in BETA i take it? 

They will get around to it, I believe the focus is set on other things at the moment, performance issues will be put on priority when the game is actually working properly so i would not stress too much about it while we are still in testing. 

I do play lots of games that is still in beta.

Although most of those games were korean games being localized, in other word those games are not under heavy development anymore.

I'll be honest this is a new thing to me, a game with more than 100k files.

And no i won't force them to put this issue in their top priority list, just to remind them that it needs to be fixed.... if possible

WoWS is a different variant of the BigWorld engine to WoT (and even WoWP).

The structure may well stay as it is.

If that's the case then i can't argue with that.

But i still hope somehow they'll find a way to pack it sooner or later.

When you completed your patch update. Every files inside folder named "updates" are unnecessary because it already patch up into the core game files.

You can delete anything inside that folder to save more space on your HDD. (But do not delete the folder no matter what!)

Thanks for the reply and sorry like what i've said before, I'm not really worried about the size itself.

Although, it's understandable since i wrote such misleading title there.

Anyway to put an end to this discussion,

Thanks for all the reply.

At first i thought this was a problem on my end since i installed it on FAT 32 Hard Drive (don't ask me how i came into this conclusion).

Also since i thought the installation felt much slower than when i installed WoT, i feel the need to clarify things.

Now that i already get all answers i needed, Mods can lock this thread to prevent anymore discussion that could possibly lead to Off-topic.

Again,

Thanks for all the Info 

Cheers. :)