Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Black_Friar

No Use for AP

6 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
9 posts
319 battles

This is just an observation so far in the OBT.

The frequency of fire damage is too high from all HE shells, it nearly makes AP redundant.

Could the Devs please check the specs on the fire control systems on the kongo and Fuso, they seem to be switched.

Kongo 20k range..Fuso 14k. probable just a typo, but this is what the beta is for.

I like the use of camo, and will it be available for permanent purchase?( like in WOT ).

Cheers , keep up the great work.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

AP does a lot more damage than HE, but requires proper penetration, which is a much tougher to land than HE spam, especially on lower tier ships. This isn't even counting citadel damage, which can easily take off 3/4 of hp, or outright OHKO cruisers with a single hit.

The FCS specs are correct. IIRC, Fusou gets dropped to 14k range on her stock hull, it gets upgraded.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,858 posts
4,140 battles

AP is far more relevant in 4.0.  Everything previously hit by HE used to burn way too much and way too long.  Now I tend to use AP for all my long range shots using the falling fire to pen decks, citadels and turrets.   If I'm close in to a DD I'll use HE.  The damage of AP is worth the lack of fires

930 posts

trick is:

long range = AP plunging fire for penetrating decks.

mid range = HE since AP might ricochet 

close-mid range = still HE

reaaaaally close range = AP to penetrate that belt line and better chances of hitting the citadel given her broadside is exposed.

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

There is also a tick against cruisers when using long range HE with the plunging fire. 

And just OHKO them out of the match.

Sign in to follow this