Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
admiral_tee

Requesting Hints and Tips to play USN DD's

3 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,179 battles

Hi all,

I've been playing WoW for about 2-3 months.

I have played IJN BB's, USN BB's, USN Cruisers and have enjoyed some success in these. Though I do prefer Cruisers more than BB's, generally.

I have just started UN DD's (just prior to wipe and now restarting the DD tree) and would like some ideas as to how to get the best from them.

To me, they just seem to be weaker than their IJN counterparts. Sure, perhaps some US guns maybe more accurate and harder hitting and perhaps their AA is better but the key DD weapon that makes the most impact in WoW in my opinion, is the torpedo. In this regard the short range of the US torpedo really defines, or limits, your options.

To get the most out of the torps, you need to close with the enemy and use them almost as a "in your face" weapon rather than a truly "tactical" option which the IJN DD's can use them for (area denial).

So - how can a player use USN DD's best?

Tee

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Firstly, I mainly scout with them, and if possible, hug islands to set up an ambush - set the smoke after you launch torps, setting smoke early gives your position away (the presence of smoke  = DD  indicator) if you haven't been spotted yet, also turn AA off.

Secondly, if you can't ambush, just scout first, and  stay your distance, avoid cruisers like the plague and only fire guns when you are safe with allies distracting the enemy or no cruisers or higher tier US DD's are present - bully the japanese destroyers with impunity while being wary of torps launched against you.

Not sure on this point, but I use AP for cruisers, and HE for anything else as AP can't pen BB's unless you have a long range, and US DD's are about gunfire support and DD killing, and torps are only a secondary weapon. - Just my 50cents

Edited by Blitzkreig95

Beta Tester
65 posts
2,698 battles

First, never rush into a battle when match starts unless going for cap points, or end up as first blood victim

I usually sneak in when there's a big battle going on with everyone tunnelling vision

Sign in to follow this