You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Alfreuson

Tier X's versus / pros & cons

53 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
140 posts
740 battles

Now with 230+ battles, , I'm doing multiple grinds instead of focusing on one tree for me to grasp a wide knowledge on different ships, but still a loooong way to reach any tier X. :(

I have these questions about tier Xs... I generally want to know the grinding experience (painful? or ok?) up to a particular tier X ship, the gameplay, and the pros and cons for each, comprehensive reviews about each ship would be very helpful. :)

1. Montana vs. Yamato (I don't really see a clear picture on their differences, so a comprehensive review would be very helpful)

2. Des Moines vs. Zao (I know Des Moines +AA, and Zao +torps, I really like using torps, but is worthy when using tier X cruiser?)

3. Gearing vs. Shimakaze (I pretty much prefer a torp DD, staying undetected (not using guns pretty much) from a distance while spamming torps, so actually grinding the jap tree, but I'd also like to hear from the Gearing (for fair trial? xD)

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

I don't own any Tier 10 hell any Tier 9 so its just my general opinoin.

1. As an American fan I'd say Montana :P

But no, it's pretty fair really.

Yamato hit harder but Montana had an Quantity Advantage. Montana turned their turrent quicker as well. Armor wise are just as good, but I'd say Montana had a Larger Citadel. Also keep in mind that IJN ship tend to have better torpedo protection than USN one, and so is the Yamato. Montana had all round better AA (But nerfed recently) while Yamato is nearly impenetrable when entered it's 25mm Range. Speed is won by Montana by a little bit yet Yamato although slower but certainly it's turning radius is not bad at all.

2. Des Monies ROF will Wreck anything it want to shoot at, and it had great AA. The problem is that it's citadel is quite big, and it's 8 inch AP shell isn't the greatest so HE are more useful in most cases. Al os it's velocity is not very good.

Zao's AP shell is insanely powerful - Extremely fast velocity, Capability to penetrate even Battleship's armor make it a Great ship. Her Torpedo although still got that narrow firing arc but two launchers make you still a big big torpedo threat. However, it's armor is not the greatest and it's AA is still underwhelming. If it 1v1 a Des Monies, Des Monies will just Wreck it due to the servere ROF Difference (Although Zao ROF isn't bad in truth, its just the Des Monies' ROF is too good), however you are better when facing a Battleship due to your Excellent gun and torpedoes.

3. Gearing is basically the same old USN DD but with Awesome Torpedoes. She still had Fantastic guns (Still slow velocity and high arc, though), Great AA for a DD and plus the really good torpedo thanks to the later improvement of US Torpedo Technology. However if you want Brute power of torpedoes and you don't think your guns matters that much, Shimekaze is a good option too. Mind you it's gun is still more than usable, just don't 1v1 a USN DD and you are fine. Her Torpedo are completely out of this world. 15/20km torpedoes allows you a lot of flexibility to attack. 3 Launchers make you incredily dangerous because it's extremely hard to dodge all of them due to the Sheer Quantity. Two or Three hits can make Any ship in the game to be crippled.

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Now with 230+ battles, , I'm doing multiple grinds instead of focusing on one tree for me to grasp a wide knowledge on different ships, but still a loooong way to reach any tier X. :(

I have these questions about tier Xs... I generally want to know the grinding experience (painful? or ok?) up to a particular tier X ship, the gameplay, and the pros and cons for each, comprehensive reviews about each ship would be very helpful. :)

1. Montana vs. Yamato (I don't really see a clear picture on their differences, so a comprehensive review would be very helpful)

2. Des Moines vs. Zao (I know Des Moines +AA, and Zao +torps, I really like using torps, but is worthy when using tier X cruiser?)

3. Gearing vs. Shimakaze (I pretty much prefer a torp DD, staying undetected (not using guns pretty much) from a distance while spamming torps, so actually grinding the jap tree, but I'd also like to hear from the Gearing (for fair trial? xD)

1: I don't know, general picture says Montana > Yamato because of higher firepower and AA, yet similar HP pool. The main hidden value is armor effectiveness, which I think Yamato is better, but this is still debatable.

2: Des Moines > Zao all the time. You rarely get the chance to do that 8km torpedo run, especially at higher tiers. Plus, Des Moines' DPM is just outstanding, WG said it can even duel a BB in 1v1.

3: Depends. Torpedo spamming is something you shouldn't do without calculations, due to the horrendous reload time of tier10 torpedoes. I'd say both ships are equal, but Gearing is more versatile (slightly less damage but roughly same range torp, plus it gets workable gun and AA)

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

3. tier x DDs

Shimakaze:

Pros

- Best Torpedo Count for DD

- Fast (nothing can Describe it more than that)

- Have better Concealment than her counterpart

- Powerful Torpedoes

Cons:

- Fragile, Typhical IJN DD

- Not so Agile (even Hatsuharu can turn Better)

- Decorative guns

- the Torpedoes detect Range makes the Long lance torpedoes Hard to hit despite Having Extreme Range

- Better Turn off The AA Weapon as it's useless

- Worst concealment among IJN DD

Gearing

Pros:

- Have Excellent RoF and Aiming Speed (probably the fastest)

- Have Great Torpedoes (enough to make Yamato running Aground just for that)

- Good AA

- Working Guns

- More armored than its counterpart

- Perfect for Camp-smoke Play

Cons:

- the guns only works Better against another Destroyer

- The Torpedoes are slower than its counterpart

- Slower than its counterpart

- Worse concealment than its counterpart

- The Torpedoes must be used in suicidal Run as it's easier Evade with its Slower speed

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Was about to give an opinion about CVs...

...but I remember Midway isn't even out yet.

Which is Pretty ____ In truth unless it use the Bomber loadout.

Hakuryu Wreck it, as the Fighters again, just stand No Chance against the Swarm of IJN Bombers.

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Was about to give an opinion about CVs...

...but I remember Midway isn't even out yet.

It's out though, on 0.4.0 test server.

Basically it gets better planes, but same squad side as Essex's (with exception of stock config of 2/1/2)

Which is Pretty ____ In truth unless it use the Bomber loadout.

Hakuryu Wreck it, as the Fighters again, just stand No Chance against the Swarm of IJN Bombers.

Well, if an USN CV can completely stop all IJN bombers, then what are IJN CV drivers supposed to do during the match?

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Super Tester
2,725 posts

The grinding experience of U.S. Cruiser up to tier 10 is faster for some reason during Beta Test. Probably more gun & good RoF == more damages means faster grind.

Compare on how I grind the Japanese Cruiser, you'll get really slow down at tier 6 Aoba.

Tier 7 Myoukou & the rest will return to normal grind rate as more guns coming, but tactics differ as your ship gets bigger & bigger. Pretty much long range & Battleship support against enemy DD or BB.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Well, if an USN CV can completely stop all IJN bombers, then what are IJN CV drivers supposed to do during the match?

Then Whats the point of having one? Being a Juicy meat for IJN CV?

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Even if USN CV can, what about the reward?

930 posts

It's out though, on 0.4.0 test server.

Basically it gets better planes, but same squad side as Essex's (with exception of stock config of 2/1/2)

yes I remember, but then server wont let me play PT so I can't really compare the Midway against the Haku

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Then Whats the point of having one? Being a Juicy meat for IJN CV?

I don't recall USN CV being prone to aerial attacks, especially if you have a cruiser along your side. Don't blame uncooperative random teammates though, if you can completely stop an onslaught alone then how does carrier work if the players band together?

Also, it's not like IJN CV have unlimited hangar capacity in the first place.

Even if USN CV can, what about the reward?

That is up to WG to answer, we already suggested increasing reward for air defense for so long now.

Beta Tester
140 posts
740 battles

thanks Harpoon and Alvin :)

by the way, "+10 to attack distance of destroyer main armament"

does it mean the torps or the main battery? :unsure:

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

thanks Harpoon and Alvin :)

by the way, "+10 to attack distance of destroyer main armament"

does it mean the torps or the main battery? :unsure:

nope - guns - as all DD have guns <155 mm (most are around 127 mm) 

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

There's something not right here.

Senjou > Das Moines.

Yes, Das Moines has that amazing RoF, but Senjou's guns are accurate and deadly. Das Moines also has giant citadels.

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,024 battles

Zao vs Des Monies

This is so debatable, however are we talking about fighting without any cap perks and upgrades?

Without any extra's Des Monies will wreck Zao.

If we include the upgrades these ships should have assigned that best amply their abilities.

Des Monies

Component: Focus on weapon loading times and turret rotation & better or improved AA coverage. Decrease range detectability, Reaching your top speed quicker.

Captin perks: Focus on AA, turret turning, repairs, and overall performance. and a 3%+ fire chance.

Zao

Component: Increase range of main battery (must), ignore your torps, the limited range makes torps useless, unless surprising opponents from behind cover, however the Torps from the Zao are the fastest swimming torps in the game (And that 5x4 torp tubes, so you can lay down 12 torps at anyone within 9k. Decrease range detectability, increasing your turning ability. (shes close to the size of a kongo after all)

Captin Perks: Focus on main guns, repairs, %3+ Fire, staying hidden from all ships perk.

While the Des Monies is amazing at rapid fire, speed, and AA (Super Cleveland), The Zao can shoot the Des Monies, while staying out of range of the Des Moins main guns and amazingly accurate and you can hit citadels every time, being a faster ship will always stay ahead. Even has the chance to stay undetected for longer!!

Zao will out shoot Des Monies to death

Edited by Tarrell

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

you remind me this version of Yamato , super massive AA fire nearly impenatrable by aircraft 

Look at that guy in the white sailor suit casually walking on the deck while the ship is under attack with all AA guns blazing, just wow.

Anyway just a comment on the tier X CVs, I'd say 60 /40. 60 being the midway side.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

you remind me this version of Yamato , super massive AA fire nearly impenatrable by aircraft 

In reality it's nowhere near as powerful as this. Yes Yamato got a lot of them, but it's ROF Overall is too slow for a concentrated attack (It's due to it's loading system).

Alpha Tester
76 posts

In reality it's nowhere near as powerful as this. Yes Yamato got a lot of them, but it's ROF Overall is too slow for a concentrated attack (It's due to it's loading system).

nah it just a game but yes IRL Yamato AAA have it's main faut is it's magazine loading AA gun is reqired all gun to load and fire and it's time consuming plus put the risk to AA crew getting hit by fighter strafe run like her final mission unlike US Bofor or oerlikon that coud continuely feed the shell into gun system itself  but speak of the AAA ROF i prefer this

when i heard it's roaring sound for the first time i'm totally get it why British call it Pom Pom :P 

Beta Tester
140 posts
740 battles

hmmm, I studied the stats very closely, and I think Montana is superior to Yamato...

Why?

Montana has more guns + almost twice faster aiming time + a lot superior AA guns (which is very necessary for a BB)

only thing Yamato has over Montana is longer secondary guns range...

Sum it up, i don't see why would anyone prefer Yamato over Montana... or... Am I missing someting? :unsure:

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

hmmm, I studied the stats very closely, and I think Montana is superior to Yamato...

Why?

Montana has more guns + almost twice faster aiming time + a lot superior AA guns (which is very necessary for a BB)

only thing Yamato has over Montana is longer secondary guns range...

Sum it up, i don't see why would anyone prefer Yamato over Montana... or... Am I missing someting? :unsure:

Yamato have more Penetrating Power and solid armor Compare to Montana, but inferior AA stats