You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
StarliteStandard

Carriers and Toggling

14 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

I know Exustio has made several threads on Cruisers, DDs and BBs. Is he planning on making one on Carriers?

That aside, what is the major difference between IJN and USN Carriers and how does play-style differ?

Any recommended carriers, loadouts and modules?

I tried 3 squads of Torpedo bombers on the Hosho and ended losing all of them to fighters. Should I send a squad of fighters with my torpedo bombers or all 3 squads of torpedo bombers?

How about the detection indicator? I can't seem to find it in game

Edited by Arthurians007

930 posts

So far as I'm concerned.

(too lazy to rewrite everything so i'll just post a part of one of the visual guides that I made)

(also I might be missing some points)

iPTcM3p.png

(also forget that "highest max torpedo damage" for JP CVs. they got nerfed since the last patch)

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

If you load up fighters on IJN CV be prepared to lose them in a one on one against a USN CV with fighters. Instead of going toe to toe with the USN planes keep yours near your ally CA/ BB and wait for an opening. You may find a lone BB that you can attack and use your fighters to cover allied BB from TB. Late in the game you'll be able to attack their fighters if for no other reason than to tie up their fighters while you attack their CV with your TB.

Also try to have your TB attack from two angles this makes it harder for any evasion of torpedoes.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Select USN CV

Change to fighter loadout

Get into random battle

Find a battle with no enemy CV

Facepalming the entire battle

Or

Using any CV

Change to All-Bomber loadout

Find a battle with enemy USN CV plus with its fighter loadout

Your Crew will said:

"THE S*** IS ABOUT TO GET REAL"

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

That aside, what is the major difference between IJN and USN Carriers and how does play-style differ?

None, load up as many bombers as possible and be smart enough not to hurr durr them into fighters and you'll be good.

930 posts

Select USN CV

Get into random battle

Or

Using any CV

Your Crew will said:

aaaand that's why US CVs is a carnival with the matchmaker 

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

So far as I'm concerned.

(too lazy to rewrite everything so i'll just post a part of one of the visual guides that I made)

(also I might be missing some points)

iPTcM3p.png

(also forget that "highest max torpedo damage" for JP CVs. they got nerfed since the last patch)

Thank you, I shall now bomb the American pigs with my Asian planes, hope my pilots can see things through their slits :izmena:

If you load up fighters on IJN CV be prepared to lose them in a one on one against a USN CV with fighters. Instead of going toe to toe with the USN planes keep yours near your ally CA/ BB and wait for an opening. You may find a lone BB that you can attack and use your fighters to cover allied BB from TB. Late in the game you'll be able to attack their fighters if for no other reason than to tie up their fighters while you attack their CV with your TB.

Also try to have your TB attack from two angles this makes it harder for any evasion of torpedoes.

Still trying to attack from two sides, watched some tutorials by iChase but kinda like a headless chicken for now, criss cross works good for DDs, for BBs I try to lay a straight line, satisfying to see 70k damage pop up occasionally

Select USN CV

Get into random battle

Or

Using any CV

Your Crew will said:

Uh...LOL

Believe me, if I wasn't so concerned with earning money/xp I would load up my biggest and baddest USN CV with full fighters and spend my days trolling all the CVs that dare to enter a match with me :trollface:

None, load up as many bombers as possible and be smart enough not to hurr durr them into fighters and you'll be good.

Every damn time I run full bombers I meet a USN a*sehole who decides that it would be funny to send five million squads of fighters after me and only me. My planes spend more time on my CV than in the air :sceptic: 

Edited by Arthurians007

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Every damn time I run full bombers I meet a USN a*sehole who decides that it would be funny to send five million squads of fighters after me and only me. My planes spend more time on my CV than in the air

A single US CV only has 2 fighter squads that can hardly cover the whole map.

I'm not even sure why you would land your bombers even if he "spawn camps" your CV.

After all the CV is covered with guns like a hedgehog and additionally bombers have rear gunners.

Not to mention that unless you hide 60km behind the front lines you'll prolly have allies nearby with additional anti-air guns.

The worst I got from using full bomber loadouts is running out of reserve bombers 30 seconds before the battle ended.

The only time I ever truly ran out of bombers was during alpha, which was the reason why I always ran AS setups myself, but now?

No reason to, you can micro as much as you want, however there will be enough bombers getting through to deal considerable damage.

Basically if your IQ is above 10 and you've played any RTS game you're going to be fine.

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Sorry to say that in a match with 2 bomber Essex / lexington vs 2 Shokakus, the US CVs will always win with the amount of torpedoes and damage they do.

Since the patch most of the high tier CV captains gave up using fighters, and went full bombers as well. Since that is what most people want when they wanted the Devs to change CV gameplay.

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

A single US CV only has 2 fighter squads that can hardly cover the whole map.

I'm not even sure why you would land your bombers even if he "spawn camps" your CV.

After all the CV is covered with guns like a hedgehog and additionally bombers have rear gunners.

Not to mention that unless you hide 60km behind the front lines you'll prolly have allies nearby with additional anti-air guns.

The worst I got from using full bomber loadouts is running out of reserve bombers 30 seconds before the battle ended.

The only time I ever truly ran out of bombers was during alpha, which was the reason why I always ran AS setups myself, but now?

No reason to, you can micro as much as you want, however there will be enough bombers getting through to deal considerable damage.

Basically if your IQ is above 10 and you've played any RTS game you're going to be fine.

I hide at the end of the map usually and I had to land to refill torps

Sorry to say that in a match with 2 bomber Essex / lexington vs 2 Shokakus, the US CVs will always win with the amount of torpedoes and damage they do.

Since the patch most of the high tier CV captains gave up using fighters, and went full bombers as well. Since that is what most people want when they wanted the Devs to change CV gameplay.

Alrighty, US CVs it is from now

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I hide at the end of the map usually and I had to land to refill torps

I suggest to try the opposite.

Obviously you'll need to carefully choose the route to take, but you'll generally want to be nearby stuff that can protect you and vice versa.

Being at the map border only results in negatives when you think further about it.

You have a longer supply time for aircrafts due to long flight times.

You are usually all alone and vulnerable to either aerial attacks or sneaky DDs/CLs.

You can easily be caught off guard if one of the flanks suddenly falls without you realising it. (Too busy commanding aircrafts, etc.)

Generally you'd want to be either in mid or close range to your allies, play around with the ranges on all maps till you find the sweet spot.

It's usually not more than 7km away from any allied ship.

Additionally keep in mind that CVs aren't bricks in the water, on long range enemies will miss you as long as you maneuver to dodge shots.

I've come to realise that it's actually good to be spotted and fired upon in a CV on long range, since it reduces the threat to your teammates.

It takes some practice though and once you hit 50% hitpoints you'll prolly want to be further away from the action. :x

This is where I usually hang around:

NgMB4il.jpg

XCJjiaZ.jpg

And it works:

TZEQ637.jpg

Edited by Retia

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

I suggest to try the opposite.

Obviously you'll need to carefully choose the route to take, but you'll generally want to be nearby stuff that can protect you and vice versa.

Being at the map border only results in negatives when you think further about it.

You have a longer supply time for aircrafts due to long flight times.

You are usually all alone and vulnerable to either aerial attacks or sneaky DDs/CLs.

You can easily be caught off guard if one of the flanks suddenly falls without you realising it. (Too busy commanding aircrafts, etc.)

Generally you'd want to be either in mid or close range to your allies, play around with the ranges on all maps till you find the sweet spot.

It's usually not more than 7km away from any allied ship.

This is where I usually hang around:

NgMB4il.jpg

XCJjiaZ.jpg

And it works:

TZEQ637.jpg

OMG that score! Do you usually pug launch or group launch?

I'll try to stick with the group, heard iChase said something similar but haven't had time to re-watch his tutorial

At the moment, I'm finding success in The Sims, I usually strafe a BB/CV and fire torpedoes when they recharge, might go back to CVs soon

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Depends on the situation.

When I'm facing a US CV I'll send the 3 DBs in 3 different directions to scout out his loadout.

If he doesn't have any fighters I'll move them in a group.

With enemy fighters on the field I usually crowd control them by tempting them to stay with one DB squad.

Most CV players already lack the capacity to micro that encounter and macro/keeping an eye out for the rest of my bombers.

They usually seem to think that my other bombers are behind that DB squad or they aren't thinking about them at all.

Not like they could do anything even if they realise and utilize their potential 2nd fighter squad to intercept them.

One fighter squad isn't enough to intercept bombers prior to them unloading their payload and as soon as the first fighter squad leaves my decoy DB squad alone I'll order it to attack the

next DD/CL/BB.

With JP CVs I'll usually only spearhead with 2 DB squads and not care about his fighters.

The rest of my bombers are in a group already heading towards the chosen target(s).

Even if they do intercept my bombers the most they'll get is a couple of revenge kills, so... *shrug*

I also usually let them fly off seperately and group them up later on by maneuvering the squads into position mid way.

I.e. the first and farthest ahead squad flies a curve and the other planes just fly straight in a previously ordered route... ah... better make this one a picture.

BIP3u1z.png

Putting a large number of bomber squads into one big group while there are fighters around just makes them easy targets.

Especially against experienced CV players who will utilize their fighters to shoot down half of each bomber squads' aircrafts.

That usually translates into having to manually drop all bombs/torpedoe's due to bad attack patterns for damaged squads.

Hence I'll either avoid doing so, or do it moments before the attack.

Edited by Retia

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

Depends on the situation.

When I'm facing a US CV I'll send the 3 DBs in 3 different directions to scout out his loadout.

If he doesn't have any fighters I'll move them in a group.

With enemy fighters on the field I usually crowd control them by tempting them to stay with one DB squad.

Most CV players already lack the capacity to micro that encounter and macro/keeping an eye out for the rest of my bombers.

They usually seem to think that my other bombers are behind that DB squad or they aren't thinking about them at all.

Not like they could do anything even if they realise and utilize their potential 2nd fighter squad to intercept them.

One fighter squad isn't enough to intercept bombers prior to them unloading their payload and as soon as the first fighter squad leaves my decoy DB squad alone I'll order it to attack the

next DD/CL/BB.

With JP CVs I'll usually only spearhead with 2 DB squads and not care about his fighters.

The rest of my bombers are in a group already heading towards the chosen target(s).

Even if they do intercept my bombers the most they'll get is a couple of revenge kills, so... *shrug*

I also usually let them fly off seperately and group them up later on by maneuvering the squads into position mid way.

I.e. the first and farthest ahead squad flies a curve and the other planes just fly straight in a previously ordered route... ah... better make this one a picture.

BIP3u1z.png

Putting a large number of bomber squads into one big group while there are fighters around just makes them easy targets.

Especially against experienced CV players who will utilize their fighters to shoot down half of each bomber squads' aircrafts.

That usually translates into having to manually drop all bombs/torpedoe's due to bad attack patterns for damaged squads.

Hence I'll either avoid doing so, or do it moments before the attack.

I see, I can't seem to upload the image but I earned 1634 EXP in the Hosho a match ago, it was fun. Your advice works wonders :honoring:

I would fly over land instead of sea so my planes can't be targeted by ships and are safe from AA, 12 torpedoes 1 shotted the enemy CV, it was exquisite!

Edited by Arthurians007