You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
StarliteStandard

Newbie questions

22 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

Any ships that are a must have, premium or not?

Any ships that are underpowered and overpowered? I want to try both levels and see what the range of disparity is

What determines the amount of money/exp you get per round? Is there a table somewhere? I can't find it somehow

Which ship makes the most amount of money/exp per round if a decent player has it?

Are there guides on how to play and generally not suck?

That aside, I'm from SG and looking to play with fellow SG counterparts, preferably using TS3 to communicate via VOIP, hit me up so we can smash some stuff! (Or you can laugh at me when I get smashed)

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

- Must have:

Tier 5 IJN DD - Minekaze - Insane Range and ROF torpedo.

Tier 6 USN CL - Cleveland - Awesome ROF and Great AA.

Tier 6 IJN BB - Fuso - a Very Noob-friendly ship.

Tier 4 USN BB - Wyoming - Twelve 12 inch gun make you a powerhouse in Tier 4.

- UP? I won't say there's a Definite UP ship, but Mutsuki (Tier 6 IJN DD) is rather weak when compare to Minekaze.

OP ship - Nah really if there's one devs will nerf it quite quickly.

- Sadly the most important thing to get XP and $$$ is Damage instead of your "Plays" so to say. AFK will earn absolutely nothing (0 XP and Credits).

- Premium ships. Out of the 3 packages I recommend Sims - Fun little ship and guns are amazing. Torpedo are meh but usable.

- Jingles and iChase are great channel for you. Jingles is more of a noob guide but sometimes he make some critical mistake but still a great source. iChase is kinda like a QB/Jingles hybrid - better for more experienced players.

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

- Must have:

Tier 5 IJN DD - Minekaze - Insane Range and ROF torpedo.

Tier 6 USN CL - Cleveland - Awesome ROF and Great AA.

Tier 6 IJN BB - Fuso - a Very Noob-friendly ship.

Tier 4 USN BB - Wyoming - Twelve 12 inch gun make you a powerhouse in Tier 4.

- UP? I won't say there's a Definite UP ship, but Mutsuki (Teir 6 IJN DD) is rather weak when compare to Minekaze.

OP ship - Nah really if there's one devs will nerf it quite quickly.

- Sadly the most important thing to get XP and $$$ is Damage instead of your "Plays" so to say. AFK will earn absolutely nothing (0 XP and Credits).

- Premium ships. Out of the 3 packages I recommend Sims - Fun little ship and guns are amazing. Torpedo are meh but usable.

- Jingles and iChase are great channel for you. Jingles is more of a noob guide but sometimes he make some critical mistake but still a great source. iChase is kinda like a QB/Jingles hybrid - better for more experienced players.

Just a few more questions,

What about Tier 7/8/9/10 ships? Are they end game material and should not be touched for now?

Damage awards more XP/Money then actual kills? 

Should I do Co-op or Random battles for a start?

I've bought the Atlanta because I heard it's a beast, been having limited success (I suspect I suck so bad even premium ships can't make me good lol) and earn about 100k per match and maybe 150k in my best match but I've seen 500k matches before, is there a trick to that?

Right, will check those 2 channels out, is BaronVonGamez any good?

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Just a few more questions,

What about Tier 7/8/9/10 ships? Are they end game material and should not be touched for now?

Damage awards more XP/Money then actual kills? 

Should I do Co-op or Random battles for a start?

I've bought the Atlanta because I heard it's a beast, been having limited success (I suspect I suck so bad even premium ships can't make me good lol) and earn about 100k per match and maybe 150k in my best match but I've seen 500k matches before, is there a trick to that?

Right, will check those 2 channels out, is BaronVonGamez any good?

- There are still some time till OBT - Worth Getting.

Tier 7 IJN BB - Nagato - Great armour, decent speed, Good gun.

Tier 10 USN CA - Des Monies - Machine -8 inch - Gun

Tier 8~10 USN DD - Benson, Fletcher and Gearing - Solved the Critical Flaws of USN DD (Terrible Torpedo) but still having Great guns.

- Kills definitely matters, but this game focus a bit more on Damage than kills.

- Now I am a Casual player and I'd like to have fun - so I played tons of Co-Op. PvP is Way more competitive but earn you like 2 or 3 times as much experience. See what you want.

- Atlanta may seems like a Great AA ship Historically with all those 5 inch gun, but in WoWs this thing is More effective being a Support ship (Either with BB and CA/CL) and a DD hunter. This Lightening fast ROF made you Deadly to any DD dare to attack you (With HE) and if you can get the required skill you can annoy the heck out of any BB with HE Spam. Mind that your Velocity is pretty terrible and the range is limited. It's still a okay AA ship though - and with those Meh but usable torpedoes you can often surprise the hell out of BB if you need to engage a BB. 

- Baron is Good - but I will recommend more of the 2 I said for WoWs. If you play WT Baron is one of the best though.

Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
532 posts
1,052 battles

1. Recommended Premiums: Sims and Atlanta.

Recommended Regular Ships: St. Louis, Cleveland, Isokaze, Minekaze, Wyoming, Iowa, Hosho

2. There are no real under-powered ships. At higher tiers, there will be massive changes in how you play a ship, some people can adapt, others can't and whine.

3. Damage.

4. I'd say the Cleveland.

5. I'm bias to myself, but I only have two tutorials out (I should make more). I wouldn't go for Jingles on how to play, he's fun to watch, but that is around it. iChase, as much as I dislike him, yeah. Baron is ok.

I'm going to be starting a series though (every Tuesdays) commentating over replays and answering the questions posted by the replay sender. It's a learn from the mistake of others sort of thing.

6. Iowa is love. Des Moines is delicious. Kagero is a good little destroyer.

7. Damage > Kills, but for more profit have Kills.

8. I went in with Random, but the first games you'll play will be against bots (since it is required).

9. Get a feel of the ship more, it is pretty fun to play. People also tend to forget it has torpedoes on both sides.

Edited by ExESGO

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

- There are still some time till OBT - Worth Getting.

Tier 7 IJN BB - Nagato - Great armour, decent speed, Good gun.

Tier 10 USN CA - Des Monies - Machine -8 inch - Gun

Tier 8~10 USN DD - Benson, Fletcher and Gearing - Solved the Critical Flaws of USN DD (Terrible Torpedo) but still having Great guns.

- Kills definitely matters, but this game focus a bit more on Damage than kills.

- Now I am a Casual player and I'd like to have fun - so I played tons of Co-Op. PvP is Way more competitive but earn you like 2 or 3 times as much experience. See what you want.

- Atlanta may seems like a Great AA ship Historically with all those 5 inch gun, but in WoWs this thing is More effective being a Support ship (Either with BB and CA/CL) and a DD hunter. This Lightening fast ROF made you Deadly to any DD dare to attack you (With HE) and if you can get the required skill you can annoy the heck out of any BB with HE Spam. Mind that your Velocity is pretty terrible and the range is limited. It's still a okay AA ship though - and with those Meh but usable torpedoes you can often surprise the hell out of BB if you need to engage a BB. 

- Baron is Good - but I will recommend more of the 2 I said for WoWs. If you play WT Baron is one of the best though.

1. Recommended Premiums: Sims and Atlanta.

Recommended Regular Ships: St. Louis, Cleveland, Isokaze, Minekaze, Wyoming, Iowa, Hosho

2. There are no real under-powered ships. At higher tiers, there will be massive changes in how you play a ship, some people can adapt, others can't and whine.

3. Damage.

4. I'd say the Cleveland.

5. I'm bias to myself, but I only have two tutorials out (I should make more). I wouldn't go for Jingles on how to play, he's fun to watch, but that is around it. iChase, as much as I dislike him, yeah. Baron is ok.

I'm going to be starting a series though (every Tuesdays) commentating over replays and answering the questions posted by the replay sender. It's a learn from the mistake of others sort of thing.

6. Iowa is love. Des Moines is delicious. Kagero is a good little destroyer.

7. Damage > Kills, but for more profit have Kills.

8. I went in with Random, but the first games you'll play will be against bots (since it is required).

9. Get a feel of the ship more, it is pretty fun to play. People also tend to forget it has torpedoes on both sides.

Thank you guys! 

I'll go try it out, might wait till OBT before going into serious grinding since everything will be wiped. OBT will be the last wipe right?

Alpha Tester
76 posts

i reccommend another ship that you should get for fun , the Mogami  equip her with tripple 155mm gun and use HE shell to burn ppl alive!!!!  but her downside is papermache armor and HUGE Citadel point

Edited by reinforcezwei

Beta Tester
141 posts

When you're first starting out (and maybe for entire game) most players will prefer battleships like the Fuso with a huge number of guns.  However, if you're good at second-guessing your foe, Nagato can land shots from ridiculous range.  Most of us will never be that good (or lucky) and will have to close in, in which case Nagato still requires good leading and aiming skills.  But don't be afraid to throw down with your opponent when it really comes down to the wire.  Nagato's secondary guns are ... impressive.

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

i reccommend another ship that you should get for fun , the Mogami  equip her with tripple 155mm gun and use HE shell to burn ppl alive!!!!  but her downside is papermache armor and HUGE Citadel point

Thought you can't change load outs of ships?

When you're first starting out (and maybe for entire game) most players will prefer battleships like the Fuso with a huge number of guns.  However, if you're good at second-guessing your foe, Nagato can land shots from ridiculous range.  Most of us will never be that good (or lucky) and will have to close in, in which case Nagato still requires good leading and aiming skills.  But don't be afraid to throw down with your opponent when it really comes down to the wire.  Nagato's secondary guns are ... impressive.

I read something about the devs saying that aim mod is ok, can't find the link now, can you confirm this?

But there aren't any battleships for starters, are there?

Edited by Arthurians007

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I read something about the devs saying that aim mod is ok, can't find the link now, can you confirm this?

1.  Research modules (like WoT)

2.  Nope been perma disabled

3.  First BB is tier 3

Alpha Tester
76 posts

Some ship have the choice of main weapon Mogami is the one of them you can change 2 type of main gun the tripple 155mm is the stock gun for mogami and the  Dual 203mm gun

155 trip have more gun  than 203 dual so you have more chance to hit a target also have faster reload speed but it have slower rotate speed (ingame would've call the Aim time )

the 203 dual is rotate faster having more AP damge than 155 trip but reload slower

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Aim Mod is Disabled and Banned now - Why they said it's okay is just because they can't fix that instantly.

Also, For a starter I recommend playing USN Cruisers - Forgiving, Easy to play, All rounded stats unlike the relatively specialized IJN CL/CA.

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
51 posts
34 battles

1.  Research modules (like WoT)

2.  Nope been perma disabled

3.  First BB is tier 3

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Your name looks really familiar, did you play Killing Floor before?

Some ship have the choice of main weapon Mogami is the one of them you can change 2 type of main gun the tripple 155mm is the stock gun for mogami and the  Dual 203mm gun

155 trip have more gun  than 203 dual so you have more chance to hit a target also have faster reload speed but it have slower rotate speed (ingame would've call the Aim time )

the 203 dual is rotate faster having more AP damge than 155 trip but reload slower

I see, didn't realize that modules included change of main weapons, thanks!

Aim Mod is Disabled and Banned now - Why they said it's okay is just because they can't fix that instantly.

Also, For a starter I recommend playing USN Cruisers - Forgiving, Easy to play, All rounded stats unlike the relatively specialized IJN CL/CA.

I'm pretty much spamming Atlanta at the moment and the occasional USS Sims torpedo smash, it's damn fun when you one shot a BB

Alpha Tester
131 posts
1,453 battles

Are you referring to Aim Assist? Because my gunnery has gone to crap, after initially being ok when I first started playing. And everyone else seems to be really good.

Though, the gunnery is most crap on the Furutaka.

Super Tester
532 posts
1,052 battles

I'll go try it out, might wait till OBT before going into serious grinding since everything will be wiped. OBT will be the last wipe right?

OBT will be the last wipe if things goes smoothly.

Edited by ExESGO

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Honey? I've spent all  of the kid's college funds on ships!

don't tell my wife how much I have spent over the years on WG titles......