You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
98 posts
67 battles

Japanese Battleship

河内 Kawachi

zlvptt.jpg

Specifications:

Class/Type: Kawachi Class Battleship

Displacement: 21,157 tons

Length: 160.3 meters

Breadth: 25.7 meters

Shafts: 2 along with 2 Steam Turbine Sets

Engine: VTE, 16 Miyabara boilers

Power: 19,000 h.p.

Top speed: 21 knots (39km/h)

Armaments:

2 - 12-inch/50 Naval Guns
4 - 12-inch/45 Naval Guns
10 - 6-inch Naval Guns
8 - 4.7 inch (119 mm) Naval Guns
12 - 3 inch (76 mm) Naval Guns
5 - 18-inch Torpedo Tubes

Armour:

Belt: 127mm - 305mm

Barbette: 180-240mm

Turrets: 279mm

Casemate: 152mm

Deck: 30mm

Conning Tower: 254mm

Info:

The Battleship Kawachi was ordered in Yokosuka Naval Arsenal on 22nd June 1907 under the 1907 Warship Supplement Program during the Russo-Japanese War and was laid down on April Fools 1909. She was launched on 15th October 1910 and finally launched on 31th March 1912. The reason for this long time gap between being ordered and being completed was due to a severe depression.

Kawachi played her part along with her sister ship, Settsu, in the Battle of Tsingtao where they bombard the German fortifications between October to November 1914. She was then later reassigned to the First Squadron from 1915 to 1917. No other combat was seen since then.

Near the end of war on the afternoon of 12th July 1918, a massive and loud explosion was heard from the forward main gun turret where immense amount of smoke was seen erupting from it. A few minutes later, the Kawachi starts to list to starboard and capsized. More than 600 crewmen died from the accident. Many suspected that the magazine in the ship has decomposed but the commission suspected that it was an act of arson as there was no problem with the magazine when they inspected it.

Fate:

Sunk

12th July 1918

After reading back, I can already sense that there are tons of mistakes that I might not noticed. So dear historians and warships experts, do tell if there's any inaccuracy or something to add or point out. Don't want to spread the wrong info in the historical section now, would we?

•  
Edited by Subete_Yoi

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Now in colour!

As a bit of interesting trivia, many, many IJN battleship designs utilize that distinctive double tripod masts...even the Kongou-class and Fusou-class had them!

Edited by Syanda

4 posts
4,405 battles

I like the ship in WoW but she desperately needs better MM. I'm almost always against tier 3 BB's now with a very bad team so I just get hammered.

The guns are VERY inaccurate too. Her ONLY redeeming features in the game is big swag of hit points and nasty secondaries but at less than 3km.

Come on WG, respect your player base. Don't turn this game in WoT. I don't play that anymore.

Best regards

Len

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I like the ship in WoW but she desperately needs better MM. I'm almost always against tier 3 BB's now with a very bad team so I just get hammered.

The guns are VERY inaccurate too. Her ONLY redeeming features in the game is big swag of hit points and nasty secondaries but at less than 3km.

Come on WG, respect your player base. Don't turn this game in WoT. I don't play that anymore.

Best regards

Len

huh wat?

you don't like facing BB of your own tier????

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

Best regards

Len

My only issue with her is her god awful dispersion. Though all BB's have that issue in my book and i do believe it needs to be looked at before launch.

Beta Tester
98 posts
67 battles

speaking of which, how did she went boom?

It's quite a mystery. Many say the magazine decomposed and went ka-blamo but the officers called it an act of arson since there was nothing wrong with the magazine at that time.