You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Commander_Dusty

Clash of the Naval Titans

Navy choice?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which navy do you currently prefer?

• USN
    • IJN
    • Both are good

16 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

So folks, after a recent battle which I had a 1 on 1 close range (ice flow ~ 1-3km) engagement in my tier 6 New Mexico vs the Japanese equivalent the Fuso (FTR the New Mexico won, cause Murrica!), I decided to take a peek through my port and realised the vast majority of my ships are American. Which got me thinking, why USN?

For me, my playstyle prioritises gunnery over torps, hence the reason why I like my USN cruisers and DD's, and though I'm not usually a BB player, for some odd reason I prefer the slower US BB's rather than the faster, longer ranged Japanese ones, not sure why for this class, maybe just cause I just like Dishing out Democracies per second rather than Anime/manga/4 Z eEmperor and glory of Japan!!! (plz don't hate, I like my animes too)

In the case of the DD's and Cruisers, I prefer the US ones as they have better guns in terms of turret traverse, RoF and damage, plus AA.  But the biggest reason is consistency, especially with the cruisers - time and time again I've gotten into gunfights with Japanese cruisers of equal or higher tier and always managed to get several lucky citadel hits (RNG dependant of course but meh) and come out on top when my gunnery was on point, even though Jap cruisers have torps and more powerful guns at times, the turret traverse and citadel hits do sometimes bug me , hence Murrica has my vote at the moment.

Carriers, not a CV player, but I do have the tier 6 independence and its rather boring at the moment playing its optimal loadout (according to iChase) of 2 fighters +1 dive bomber squadron, and I haven't bothered with Jap CV's. Can't say for sure but having nation specific attributes for this class isn't ideal in my opinion, I'm sure the both Japanese and US had very good aircraft in all categories and its a shame that US fighters are on top for air supremacy while Japs have better bombers (yeah long lance torps blah blah, but the battle of midway and coral demonstrated both sides were equal in capability, just that the tactics were what mattered)  - correct me if I'm wrong

So what are your opinions folks?

Edited by Blitzkreig95

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

most Japanese Cruiser have Torpedoes Launchers that can be use to instakill other ship in Very close range (can took out BB too)

Most Japanese DD have better torpedoes (longer range and better speed) suited to sink Unaware enemy (Even a musing Cruiser and destroyer)

But the current time for torpedoes to be spotted is kinda, Heart-breaking:

Shoot torpedoes from 8 km and you will never hit a Experienced  BB player on open see, even worse with USN BB)

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Primarily play IJN ships here. I just enjoy the speed and maneuverability of IJN cruisers, and the hitting power of their 20.3s. Some of my best games have been in IJN cruisers, where I charge into unguarded flank and wreak havoc. Likewise for battleships - USN ships seem to crawl to battle. Not to mention IJN battleships excel at both long and close range combat with other battleships or cruisers with their longer main armament range and heavier secondary batteries.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

The poll is lacking the option for players like me that play all nations/lines.

It currently looks like this for me:

US

DD: Tier VI

BB: Tier V

CV: Tier VII (VIII soonish)

CL/CA: Tier V

JP

DD: Tier VII

BB: Tier VII

CV: Tier V

Mostly playing CVs this month since my better internet connection is almost at it's limit.

However to answer your question of which navy I prefer, none... or all, depending on one's perspective.

Super Tester
1,779 posts
341 battles

USN = Freedom, MURICA~!!, pew pew pew MUH GUNS, MUH AA GUNS..

IJN = if your a weeaboo, muh ship girl, torpedoes here and there, plane spam, CITADELS, skin mods for ships :^) 

If I want to gun down an enemy ship I prefer USN, if I want to put water on the enemy I'll stick to IJN (DD's in particular), for CV usage, if you want the skies clear go for USN, if you want the waters to be clean, go for IJN (MUH TORPEDO PLANES)

Beta Tester
39 posts
169 battles

DD's I'm split. I'm having equal amounts of fun in the US and IJN DD's.

Cruisers, well stuck on the horrible IJN T5 Furutaka one atm, gun reload/traverse time is way too long (Seriously 2.3 rounds a minute, at T5?) but maybe I need to adjust my playstyle accordingly.

BB's, haven't progressed past T5 on either nation. Like both the USS NY, and the Kongo though for different reasons.

And I don't touch CV's. I'm just not interested in them at all.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

i play both and so far i have all of ship class on both USN and IJN.

tier 9 usn CA and dd

tier 8 IJN DD, USN CV and IJN CA

tier 7 IJN CV

tier 6 USN CA, USN BB, IJN BB and IJN CV

tier 5 IJN DD

i keep some mid tier ship for farming credits. like minekaze, cleveland and ryuujo, but i stop grinding IJN BB.

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,029 battles

The poll is lacking the option for players like me that play all nations/lines.

It currently looks like this for me:

US

DD: Tier VI

BB: Tier V

CV: Tier VII (VIII soonish)

JP

BB: Tier VII

CV: Tier V

Mostly playing CVs this month since my better internet connection is almost at it's limit.

However to answer your question of which navy I prefer, none... or all, depending on one's perspective.

Same here:

US

DD: Tier VI (Sims)

BB: Tier VIII, but like the VI most of all "New Mexico!!"

CV: VI (Sold as bored)

CL/CA:   Tier VI

JP

DD: (Waiting to open beta)

BB: Tier VIII (Stopped playing after last patch) have the VI for lols

CV: (Not interested at this time)

CL/CA: Tier IX have previous 3 tier ships because i like them and a prem

Mostly I play Cruisers and BBs, but I like aspects of both nations, until a 3rd faction is introduced it hard to decide.

Edited by Tarrell

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

US
DD: N/A 

CL/CA: Tier VII
BB: Tier  VI
CV: Tier IV

IJN
CL/CA: Tier VIII
BB: Tier X
CV: Tier VIII

I think for most classes, The USN would beat its IJN counterpart however the IJN is capable of dealing with other ships outside of its class better than the USN. For example, it would be harder for a USN CA to deal with BBs then it would for an IJN CA since the IJN has torps and can burst down the BB at close range. IJN CVs can potentially deal more damage to other ships(0/3/3) but would struggle vs an USN CV who (on paper) can shut down a IJN's CV strike group via superior fighters. 

Edited by Chawp

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Some ships in both lines are Outstanding for their tier:

IJN: 

- ********* Minekaze (Tier 5 DD) ******* - Insane Torpedo Range and ROF and Usable Gun, Probably the WoWs T18 (Pre-Nerf)

- Mogami (Tier 8 CA/CL) - 155 HE Rain

- Shokaku (Tier 8 CV) - Nuking anything including USN CV if it wanted to

- Fuso (Tier 6 BB) - Sheer Quantity of 14 inch guns with Good ROF

USN:

- Cleveland (Tier 6 CL) - 152 HE Rain and Fantastic AA

- Langley (Tier 4 CV) - 2 Torpedo Bomber Squadron with Great Spread and Damage. Good Fighters as well.

- Sims (Tier 7 Premium DD) - Very Good (OP) for a Premium ship, May even be better than the Mahan.

- Wyoming (Tier 4 BB) - Twelve 12 inch gun lol-ing at the Myogi or even the Kongo. Good AA for it's tier as well.

Edited by Alvin1020

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Some ships in both lines are Outstanding for their tier:

IJN: 

- ********* Minekaze (Tier 5 DD) ******* - Insane Torpedo Range and ROF and Usable Gun, Probably the WoWs T18 (Pre-Nerf)

- Mogami (Tier 8 CA/CL) - 155 HE Rain

- Shokaku (Tier 8 CV) - Nuking anything including USN CV if it wanted to

- Fuso (Tier 6 BB) - Sheer Quantity of 14 inch guns with Good ROF

USN:

- Cleveland (Tier 6 CL) - 152 HE Rain and Fantastic AA

- Langley (Tier 4 CV) - 2 Torpedo Bomber Squadron with Great Spread and Damage. Good Fighters as well.

- Sims (Tier 7 Premium DD) - Very Good (OP) for a Premium ship, May even be better than the Mahan.

- Wyoming (Tier 4 BB) - Twelve 12 inch gun lol-ing at the Myogi or even the Kongo. Good AA for it's tier as well.

Agreed except I think the New Mexico is a better BB as it has less shot dispersion and better armor/AA

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,029 battles

Agreed except I think the New Mexico is a better BB as it has less shot dispersion and better armor/AA

I agree though the IJN do have 2 big advantages over US until tier 6; range and speed. Used at long range and utilizing the speed of a Kongo you can out run and gun US BBs.
Edited by Tarrell