Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Engared

I think North is a terrible map

14 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
16 posts
107 battles

Camp flag cap and snipe. Repeat for profit. Fun fun.

Basically, its really boring; especially if you are in a low tier ship. Or a slow BB. At least in Ocean, the fleet moves together as one so everyone has a role to play; in North, the team which camps the best, basically wins.

Edited by Engared

Beta Tester
141 posts

It only gets worse the higher tier maps you get to.

North can still provide you with some surprises.

Islands of Ice, you can identify who's going to win in the first few minutes of the game.  If you see your battleships massing to go north (the "D" point route), you as might as well not bother for kills or capping points.  Just concentrate on your own survival because replacing your ship will be what you do otherwise because the battleships just lost the game for you - even one or two enemy battleships will result in the "18km shuffle" that will take up the majority of the game.  By the time they finally inch around, the game will be over.

Hotspot, some idiot will always start highlighting some corner of the map.  If people listen, that can sort of work on point control.  If it is the "take the cap in the center" again, that tactic just lost you the game unless your team is really on the ball (but if your team is really on the ball, they can pretty much do anything and win the game).  While all the ships are doing some "clever" sweeping around maneuver, the other team is likely to just push a few destroyers into the center and take the cap.  Even if your side manages to take the center initially, without support, cruisers and battleships can just sit outside the cap and kill all of your destroyers and cruisers and just leisurely take the cap while your slow battleships are executing their "Grande Planne"

Beta Tester
16 posts
107 battles

It only gets worse the higher tier maps you get to.

North can still provide you with some surprises.

Islands of Ice, you can identify who's going to win in the first few minutes of the game.  If you see your battleships massing to go north (the "D" point route), you as might as well not bother for kills or capping points.  Just concentrate on your own survival because replacing your ship will be what you do otherwise because the battleships just lost the game for you - even one or two enemy battleships will result in the "18km shuffle" that will take up the majority of the game.  By the time they finally inch around, the game will be over.

Hotspot, some idiot will always start highlighting some corner of the map.  If people listen, that can sort of work on point control.  If it is the "take the cap in the center" again, that tactic just lost you the game unless your team is really on the ball (but if your team is really on the ball, they can pretty much do anything and win the game).  While all the ships are doing some "clever" sweeping around maneuver, the other team is likely to just push a few destroyers into the center and take the cap.  Even if your side manages to take the center initially, without support, cruisers and battleships can just sit outside the cap and kill all of your destroyers and cruisers and just leisurely take the cap while your slow battleships are executing their "Grande Planne"

Yup. I think the balance issues are made worse because of the map design. The game will be much better once they fix the maps.

Beta Tester
141 posts

Yup. I think the balance issues are made worse because of the map design. The game will be much better once they fix the maps.

I'm not really sure if there's something to "fix" about the maps.  Think about how you'd really "fix" the maps.  If they removed all the maps players complain about the most we'd be left with Ocean.

Beta Tester
100 posts
1,614 battles

The issue isn't the maps. Its the players. Battleships afraid of getting their paint chipped, Destroyers dropping torpedoes into allied butts, Cruisers spreading out into the open and CVs that have no idea how to launch their planes.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

They are  making Coldspot too:)

Waiting for the opposite of Dawn   "Dusk (YASEN!!)"

But I find alot of the maps limit how BB can go by limiting their firing position with tall islands, or plenty of small ones (Ice map) making it impossible to go to cap without zig zagging tru one of the 100000 islands and getting torpedo by planes cause you can turn.

Beta Tester
100 posts
1,614 battles

Hotspot is much worse.

It depends. A well-coordinated team that can agree to pushing one flank will ROFL stomp the other team with ease. The latter on the receiving end though....well, the map is a disaster for them.

Beta Tester
93 posts
2,454 battles

Im having to agree witg the op, but my gripe comes from the fact that since 0.3.1.4 my map randomisation is screwed and I ONLY get north and fault line maps. Its starting to get really tedious!

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

The issue isn't the maps. Its the players. Battleships afraid of getting their paint chipped, Destroyers dropping torpedoes into allied butts, Cruisers spreading out into the open and CVs that have no idea how to launch their planes.

with the current meta of "spam more HE shells" I am not surprised most battleships don't want to go anywhere near a fight they can't dictate on their own terms, I've tried moving myself closer to contest a cap only to get set on fire in 3 different places, torped 3 times by a destroyer at 3km because I'm moving through some islands and thus can't maneuver at all and basically targeted by the entire enemy team, needless to say I died extremely fast and gained absolutely nothing from the engagement apart from feeling like a lemon because I made the decision to move from the 14km sniping battleline

The maps are clearly unbalanced, ideal maps would have 1 open area where battleships can play (and destroyers can hunt) several islands where cruisers and again destroyers could stalk their prey and an open area at the back where Aircraft Carriers are present but can still remain close to the battle line while being shielded from fire themselves.

Islands of Ice tried to do this, the problem is nobody bothers to move closer because of current mechanics putting Long range sniping above all and close range duels at a significant disadvantage. Spawn locations are significantly bad and teamwork is mostly not present (anybody who expects teamwork in a game like this is dreaming)

Hotspot will probably be moved to clan wars type map. Its currently too "smart" for the players. Why Warpotato thought it was good map design for a playerbase that is clearly too stupid to follow orders (or even understand map pings - if you can't understand english) is anybody's guess

Sign in to follow this