You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CrossHares

Submarines?

31 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
8 posts

Well that answers part of something else I was wondering - would it fit into existing mechanics?  If they've added depth charges, then I suppose I can always hold onto the possibility

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

The depth charges are just visual assets. I believe the dev in the interview was only joking that if subs are ever implemented they can easily implement depth charges because they already have it modeled on the ships. You might as well say the shovels and pickaxes on tanks in WoT will be used just because they have modeled it.

The devs have been very definite about it. There will be NO subs as playable classes in the game.

Alpha Tester
8 posts

won't mention that their top speed below the water (7-9kts) means by the time they got to battle the game would be all over.

Well, the Type XXI U-Boat could move at something like 20+ knots underwater, and most other subs could do that on the surface, diving only to attack.

The devs have been very definite about it. There will be NO subs as playable classes in the game

Point taken, no Unterseeboote.

Alpha Tester
878 posts
151 battles

Dear god, no subs. Never. They bring them in, I'm gone. Carriers are bad enough.

[content removed]

No discussing of alpha related info outside of closed section. Remember to check which section you're posting in!

~amade

Edited by amade

Alpha Tester
14 posts
115 battles

[content removed]

No discussing of alpha related info outside of closed section. Remember to check which section you're posting in!

~amade

Edited by amade

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Subs, when introduced, will have photon torpedoes and cloaking devices. :trollface:

Who's excited about that?  :teethhappy:

[PBKAC]
Alpha Tester
207 posts
1,259 battles

No subs ...

Too deadly when underwater

Too vulnerable when on surface 

This ^^ yes - but - too slow I think is the key thing.

Also, historically within the period that the game is set in, sub's were primarily (I say 'primarily', not 'only') an anti-matériel / logistics denial naval warfare system.  Damage and sink opposing surface transport and freight, deny them resources.  Shell opposing on-shore installations, mine their harbours and channels, that sort of carry on.

That's not to say they did not engage fleet vessels - but very much at their own peril and not very often.  More likely to observe and report, let the skimmers take all the glory.

Slightly different story now.

You do have some oddities in history though.  The Falklands exploits of HMS Conqueror make for a cracking read - a Cold War nuclear boat sinking a pre-WWII Brooklyn Class CA using WWII era torps, the original design for which dated from the mid 20's... 

Tanz

Edited by Tanzer

1 post
98 battles

IF the devs were to completely backflip on everything they have said bring out Subs, there are mechanics that could be implemented to balance them out:

1) Limited speed underwater.  This would require the player to cruise above water to get close enough to become dangerous.

2) Limited time underwater (with a cooldown before re-submerging).  So players can't just cruise around underwater to prevent being destroyed in a losing game.

3) Front mounted long range torps (with considerable cooldown).  Bringing the sub some longer range ability, however without the ability to spam, requiring the player to be conscious of use.

4) Susceptibility to torpedoes.  Diving would remove the long distance danger of a pummelling from Battleships, but brings in the defensive tactics of Destroyers and Cruisers.

Depth charges could be interesting add to the game, but unnecessary due to the number or torpedoes that can be dropped.

Just some ideas I had...

Alpha Tester
392 posts

Destroyers very much act like submarines in game. Their concealment is extremely high making them virtually invisible. Just bring your vessel to a full stop when there's an enemy ship approaching, preferably a battleship and fire your torpedoes when he's close enough. Smokescreen isn't necessary. He still won't be able to see you even after spotting the torpedoes. So there you have it, submarines. Alot of players are doing this at the moment.

Edited by Nikolaevna