You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tarrell

Mogami Most OP ship in game

24 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,030 battles

Ok so after playing this ship/ grinding it, I have noticed that many battles I have been involved in, are featuring more and more mogami cruisers. going into a match where one side had 4 mogami's and the other had 5, clearly this is a favourite.

Yes its not the OMG of the Zao but the Zao wont fight in tier 5-7 ships. 

The health value is poor so this is a glass cannon ship, however i have taken 3 torpedo strikes in a match and survived (with little health mind you).

The guns, o the might fire power of the guns on this ship, keeping the fast firing triple mounted x 3 super firing stern mounted turrets means per shot (you will need to slightly angle), you can rain down 9 rounds of  at the enemy constantly, 75 to 90 degree angle and that increases to 15 rounds.

(Dont bother upgrading to 203 guns, as the reload drops to 2 rounds for every 3 the previous turrets fired less again the 5 extra guns)

Eats destroyers for breakfast, and can go toe to toe with equivalent tier UN cruisers.

What you lack in heath and armour you make back in speed and turning, being able to out turn a tier 8 destroyer and reach a top speed of a whopping 36knots, this girl is all get up and go, dogging your torp spread, avoiding being hit by long range rounds or dive bombers.

Sure you AA is mediocre, but you will kill upto 3 enemy planes per squad, which isn't bad.

and Bonus 10k rang torpedo's that reload pretty quick, I have hit BB's at the 10k range and they can't get a good lock to shoot me back, or I've ducked behind that island.

What does everyone think?

Edited by Tarrell

Beta Tester
141 posts

World of Warships 0.3.0 called, it wants its thread back.

Mogamis are pretty nice, but I'm probably in the minority here when I say this, but given the changes in 0.3.1 I don't think it belongs at Tier 8.

A Cleveland can pretty much do everything you're talking about at Tier 6, and outrange you doing it and has better AA.  That third turret in the front isn't doing much a lot of the time, so the Cleveland even has as many effective guns as you.  You're a huge, long target, too.

I personally eat their low HP and totally unarmored hulls for lunch in my Myouko or Pensicola because Mogamis really suffer from 8-inch AP fire.  However, if you're really skilled in a Mogami, instead of just drawing the good luck card of fighting guys trying to sink you with 8-inch gun cruisers firing HE all the time, congratulations on your skills, you deserve it because IJN cruisers require lots of skill but have relatively low rewards for most players.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

It's nowhere near as OP as it's in 3.0 - Along with the Cleveland these 152/155 eat anything up like you wouldn't believe.

After it becomes a Tier 8 it's relatively weaker and especially with the AP rebalance. It's citadel is larger than the Entire Russia BTW.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Gigantic citadel, hoo.

It's just the 15.5s together with HE shell spam thats allowing Mogamin to roll face, tbh. And they're hideously vulnerable to being oneshotted every time they clear their broadsides. Cleveland's a lot worse.

Beta Tester
812 posts
2,681 battles

any floating ships will be easy targets for he shells :trollface:

it'snot about the ship in this patch, its about the play and the flexibility of players using every nerf and buff to their advantage haha

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,030 battles

While I do agree this ship cant take hits, its nimble enough to doge 80% fire at you, if your not tunnel visioning.

Each game I kill at minimum 2 enemy ships and hurt another. Most in 1 match was 4 kills 3 of which were in the first 4 minutes of the ice land map.

The Cleveland and Pensacola are great ships don't get me wrong, but there poor rudder shift and speed leaves the vulnerable

Many times these ships chase me, but as long as i keep moving and duck behind islands, I can cripple them with fire damage and force them to doge my torpedoes. 

It has taken many matches and lots of taking damage I could have avoided, to learn how to use this ship.

Same practice at perfecting my targeting and turning on the new mexico; to doge 90% torps fired at me and hunt DDs. 

As soon as the new patch rolls out the HE will be re adjusted and this beast wont be as OP charged, but atm, I can rake in 3000 xp on most matches.

Edited by Tarrell

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

Mogami s kinda far from what you called OP, Its citadel is big and the armour is thin (though the Pensacola has thinner armour lol), and btw the 8 Inchers are still a viable option in the Mogami, sure the reload time is around 15 secs but that is 1 sec more than the Pensacola's reload at 14 sec. Not to mention the faster turret rotation speed lol, and the slightly better damage output.

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,030 battles

Mogami s kinda far from what you called OP, Its citadel is big and the armour is thin (though the Pensacola has thinner armour lol), and btw the 8 Inchers are still a viable option in the Mogami, sure the reload time is around 15 secs but that is 1 sec more than the Pensacola's reload at 14 sec. Not to mention the faster turret rotation speed lol, and the slightly better damage output.

I agree but while HE is doing so much damage atm, having the extra gun per turret, the dpm this ship can dish out right now is impressive.

Yeah the citidal is a big problem, but for a glass cannon this ship can take some damage (not much but more than any previous class).

I do love the clevland for different reasons, but the play style is very different.

Alpha Tester
20 posts
1,210 battles

Yeah I'd still give the OP award to the Cleveland, that thing will wreck T7 cruisers constantly which really shouldn't be the case.

1,230 posts
2,418 battles

Yeah I'd still give the OP award to the Cleveland, that thing will wreck T7 cruisers constantly which really shouldn't be the case.

Nah, Cleveland's not so OP her guns are small

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

I agree but while HE is doing so much damage atm, having the extra gun per turret, the dpm this ship can dish out right now is impressive.

Yeah the citidal is a big problem, but for a glass cannon this ship can take some damage (not much but more than any previous class).

I do love the clevland for different reasons, but the play style is very different.

Well yeah since HE is dishing out more damage ATM the 6 inchers wrecks havoc. havent played the mogami in the latest patch though ( due to it being swapped with the myoukou) , but Once AP/HE ballance is fixed youshould try the 8 Inchers, besides Mogami with 8 inch=Ibuki FYI

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,030 battles

Just unlocked the Ibuki  with all upgrades, can wait to test her out, those long lance torps stats look mean.

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

Just unlocked the Ibuki  with all upgrades, can wait to test her out, those long lance torps stats look mean.

Ibuki is basically a mogami with the 8 Inchers, with more AA and more HP. And better torps lol

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Ibuki is basically a mogami with the 8 Inchers, with more AA and more HP. And better torps lol

The Ibuki seems to have a larger ammo rack though, or that what's I heard people say.

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

Also has a battleship hul repair x3, that actually has a big impact

It does lol, but not to an extend since the Ibuki's armor is still well you know lol

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Also has a battleship hul repair x3, that actually has a big impact

Not that big an impact. Hull repair only repairs light and moderate damage. Heavy damage is not regenerated. This is fine for battleships, who'll usually take a lot of light and moderate damage hits. CAs, with their lower armour (and in the case of the Ibuki and Zaou with their huge citadels), are going to take a lot more heavy damage. Don't get me wrong, it's still useful, but when even 5" guns can deal heavy damage to a IJN CA...

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,030 battles

Not that big an impact. Hull repair only repairs light and moderate damage. Heavy damage is not regenerated. This is fine for battleships, who'll usually take a lot of light and moderate damage hits. CAs, with their lower armour (and in the case of the Ibuki and Zaou with their huge citadels), are going to take a lot more heavy damage. Don't get me wrong, it's still useful, but when even 5" guns can deal heavy damage to a IJN CA...

Very true, from what ive seen and how the ship feels, the Mogami was an excellent all round ship (Less the large citadels/ weak armour). the Ibuki and Zao seem to better used as BB hunters, Torps while useful are not perfect and better utilized defensively. Its all about the 203 guns and melting BB faces, and cruisers at the full 16 distance/ furthest distance you guns can fire at.   

Edited by Tarrell

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

I'd prefer if they decreases IJN CA detectability range over that repair ability. Coupled with Concealment upgrade and Commander skill, I can boost her stealth to the level in which can actually do "hit and run" tactics that WG recommended in their IJN Tech tree video...

Honestly, I'm still surprised how the Mogami gets much lower detectability range than ships of similar design, from Aoba to Zaou. 

Mogami gets 10.8km detectability range, while everyone else are around 12.6km.

Repair ability on USN Cruisers are fine though, with exception of the Des Moines because that thing needs a nerf, not buff.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Destroyers - fire umpteen dozen torpedoes and have great concealment range and that damn smoke screen covers them in the open where they constantly pound you

Nope when their Torpedoes can't hit you