Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
The_Pharoah

Amazing what you learn from games

13 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
24 posts
186 battles

Came across 'In Harms Way' (WW2 movie with John Wayne, Kirk Douglas) on Netflix yesterday and decided to watch it...the first setting is in Pearl Harbour on 7 Dec '41. Anyway, one of the shots is of a Cruiser which Wayne is the captain of...as soon as I saw the cruiser, I went 'hang on....2 x 3 guns forward, 1 x 3 guns aft, 5" guns...honey, thats a Cleveland class cruiser...I'm sure of it....you know, great rate of fire, good AAA, horrible armour'....and she's like 'uh huh...so?'. 

Before WoWS, I really only knew how to differentiate between DDs, CLs and BBs....now..... :) 

oh and there's a DD in the intro as well...I haven't fully done the US DD tree as yet.

679 posts
3,522 battles

Good stuff mate, I'm a teacher and now if I'm ever doing one of the world wars or Vietnam my kids get a full overview, ships, planes, tanks.  The boys LOVE it!

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

lots of the older movies about WWII have the actual ships in them. The USN never just decommissions a ship and scrap it, they mothball then in special areas and keep them for many years. This is one of the reasons you saw BB's in action during the first Gulf War, all they did was re-commission the ships, do a few upgrades (radar, weapons systems etc) and off they go.

Beta Tester
86 posts
208 battles

Same thing with WoT, tho not on a good way. Saw the movie about Patton... and the N*zis have US Army hardware! And post war hardware too! =.=")

Alpha Tester
24 posts
186 battles

lol yeah I learned a lot about tanks of WW2....and was sorely disappointed every time I saw a war movie with 'authentic tanks' lol...more like american tanks dressed up to look like german ones!! atleast in Fury they got it quite authentic. 

funny how you play a game and suddenly get a good appreciation about the real deal. You don't really realise how big an actual destroyer is until you see it IRL or in a movie (eg. that 'In harms way' which had a few DDs in it).

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

Came across 'In Harms Way' (WW2 movie with John Wayne, Kirk Douglas) on Netflix yesterday and decided to watch it...the first setting is in Pearl Harbour on 7 Dec '41. Anyway, one of the shots is of a Cruiser which Wayne is the captain of...as soon as I saw the cruiser, I went 'hang on....2 x 3 guns forward, 1 x 3 guns aft, 5" guns...honey, thats a Cleveland class cruiser...I'm sure of it....you know, great rate of fire, good AAA, horrible armour'....and she's like 'uh huh...so?'. 

If I was your honey I would've slapped you and responded, "That's a Baltimore-class Cruiser! You're such a noob - I'm going home!"

Beta Tester
11 posts
576 battles

If you can get it, try a move called "The Tanks are Coming" made not long after WWII and obviously with a lot of help from the US Army.  Not only are the M4's real M4's (and called M4's) but a M26 comes into it near the end (even mentioned the correct calibre "it's got a 90, that's even bigger than an 88"), but the Germans get a lot of real equipment (IIRC there's a Panther, Pz IV and a 88 amongst other items).   Hmmm might have to watch it again now.

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,029 battles

You need to watch "Wheels of terror" aka "The Misfit Brigade"

The spend half the movie in a SU152 / ISU152, the bigging in a T32.

They even go on to say how the enemy had 'Stolen' their tank and repainted the emblem on the side with a sickle.

1,230 posts
2,415 battles

Before WoWS, I really only knew how to differentiate between DDs, CLs and BBs....now..... :) 

oh and there's a DD in the intro as well...I haven't fully done the US DD tree as yet.

That's not cleveland

If I was your honey I would've slapped you and responded, "That's a Baltimore-class Cruiser! You're such a noob - I'm going home!"

It's not Baltimore class for sure, the Baltimore's are still in construction during Pearl Harbour. It might be the Wichita or a New Orleans, but by the sound of it, It might be a Wichita

edit:The Movie Might use Baltimore, Oregon City, or a Des Moines for fliming anyways (USS Salem is in Persuit of the Graff Spee)

Edited by Conkhead_12

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

It's a Baltimore. Specifically, USS Saint Paul.

In 1964, as the only World War II cruiser still in commission and still in her wartime all-gun configuration (several others were in commission, but had been extensively modernized into guided missile cruisers), Saint Paul was extensively used in the filming of the motion picture In Harm's Way, starring John Wayne. In the movie, it is apparent that the ship has been slightly modified according to the standard of the Baltimore class - the front 5-inch cannon turret has been removed, leading to the larger gap between the bridge and second 8-inch turret, so in the movie the cruiser no longer has 12 5-inch guns, but only 10 5-inch guns. The ship was never mentioned by her actual name (her large hull number on the bow was painted over), but was simply referred to as "Old Swayback" and was supposedly commanded by Wayne's character as a captain, served as his flagship as a rear admiral, and was later sunk during a crucial battle with the Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Saint_Paul_(CA-73)#Post-Korea

*slap*

Alpha Tester
24 posts
186 battles

ha ha I snorted beer out of my nose when I read that! shows how much I know about ship recognition! atleast I had it in the right category!! :)

Alpha Tester
24 posts
186 battles

its always difficult with such a mixture of warships from diff countries on each side. I wonder if they'd consider having nation modes ie. IJN vs USN vs RN vs SN, etc

Sign in to follow this