Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kongman

fire mechanics , need to be reworked

32 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

+1 to this. fires are way too effective and often, there's a games where i sink yamato and amagi using only HE. i got 10 fire ribbon on that match with my cleveland just by landing hits on bb and ca and i don't even have pyromania skill on my captain. on the previous patch i haven got more than 5 (lucky if i got 4) fire ribbon even though i have pyromaniac(mogami) . i also experience getting burn to death allot specially when i'm on cv....

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
390 posts
3,801 battles

on cv you will get spammed by HE 

If your getting shot at, its your teams fault or your too close

Alpha Tester
20 posts
687 battles

As someone who can aim at a distance, distance does not matter.

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

The duration a fire burns is too long. In any ship if you get set alight while repair is on cooldown you are going to lose about a third of your hitpoints which to me is excessive.

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

i meant HE will set him on fire , which means cv cant launch planes .

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,024 battles

He is way to over powered, If im in a bb mexico and facing a amagi, and I switch to HE because it does more damage there is a big issue.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

I do agree on the concern about HE lit the ship easily, but it's still players' fault for getting hit (except in 8km or less exchange fire). The fire on the ship should be a bit shorter.

Edited by Mingfang47

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,024 battles

more that HE shells should be useless upclose, they would never pen the side armour and can deck splash close up. what needs nerfing is HE from ship fire chance and time fires last for (excluding continual bombardment of HE to keep it going.)

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

more that HE shells should be useless upclose, they would never pen the side armour and can deck splash close up. what needs nerfing is HE from ship fire chance and time fires last for (excluding continual bombardment of HE to keep it going.)

Side armour? We call it "Belt armour"

Still not a good idea since ship such as Des Moines and Gearing get a great advantage

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Side armour? We call it "Belt armour"

Still not a good idea since ship such as Des Moines and Gearing get a great advantage

Have you, you know, look at Gearing stats?

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Have you, you know, look at Gearing stats?

I mean for his idea for Stacking chance for example 0.05% chance to fire for the first hit then keep stacking until it reach 5% again (hundredth hit)

But somehow I think it's more reasonable idea

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

I mean for his idea for Stacking chance for example 0.05% chance to fire for the first hit then keep stacking until it reach 5% again (hundredth hit)

But somehow I think it's more reasonable idea

Then why bring up the Gearing? It has exactly the same RoF as the Nicholas up to the Fletcher.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Then why bring up the Gearing? It has exactly the same RoF as the Nicholas up to the Fletcher.

Just Example....

I might bring Cleveland too

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

He is way to over powered, If im in a bb mexico and facing a amagi, and I switch to HE because it does more damage there is a big issue.

HE only does more damage if you're firing at destroyers.

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

HE only does more damage if you're firing at destroyers.

No it doesn't , I've 1 shot dd with AP rounds and I've 1 shot bb and cruisers with HE , it means nothing 

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

No it doesn't , I've 1 shot dd with AP rounds and I've 1 shot bb and cruisers with HE , it means nothing 

Right, you've oneshot DDs with AP rounds before. How often does that happen? Likewise with HE rounds on cruisers, not counting torpedo rack detonations.

Generally speaking, DDs have light enough armour that APs do around 1-2k damage to them due to overpenetration. It's entirely possible to oneshot a DD with an AP salvo, sure, but that involves either landing a huge number of shells on target at precisely the right locations (which I've only ever accomplished twice - with my Atlanta), or detonating the torpedo magazines. HE, however, is devastating because it'll always do full damage to a DD (which doesn't have that much hp in the first place) and usually always results in critical hits.

Cruisers, though? Sure, you can set them on fire and burn them to death. And yeah, its possible to oneshot them with HE shells as well - torpedo tube detonation, or a perfect salvo spread on a light cruiser. But that sort of thing doesn't happen often. AP rounds don't usually overpenetrate on cruisers unless you're hitting superstructure or the bow. Any solid hull hits? 6-7k damage per shell compared to around 4k for HE. If the AP hits the citadel, that jumps to around 10k hitpoints gone. And even 5" AP will penetrate cruiser hulls, something I've tested out in regular matches with my Atlanta and Hatsuharu. At that point, unless you're a horrible shot and aim exclusively for superstructure, AP is always going to be more effective than HE against a cruiser unless you're running a destroyer. The main advantage of setting fires is just the psychological one - people see the orange border around their screen and the ship ablaze and they just panic and turn away. Cruisers can't regenerate health too, so its a nice, steady ticking away of hitpoints. But honestly? I don't see the advantage of purely firing HE. Mixing HE salvoes with AP killing blows, sure. Firing HE alone? Not as effective.

And battleships? Interesting thing, really. You can set a battleship on fire all day.The repair work skill will regenerate practically all of that damage if it doesn't kill it. Any canny BB player will disengage, or wait till they've got 3 fires burning and then hit the extinguish button, then the repair work to regenerate that lost health. It's extremely rare for HE shells to deal heavy damage, too, its usually either light or moderate, and that damage is also partially regenerated by repair work. I've regenerated up to around 40% of my hp on my battleships before by just letting the fires burn out, or saving the damage control for maximum effect. I've been playing battleships a ton since the 0.3.0 patch and I can count the number of times I've burnt to death on one hand. What kills me more often are torpedo hits, or penetrating AP shell hits. I've also gotten into gun duels with other battleships, me firing AP at them and them firing HE back at me, and I've come out on top of 1v1 and 2v1 engagements simply because I'm regenerating the damage they deal out to me, and they can't do the same because heavy damage caused by AP shells cannot be repaired. Don't even need to talk about cruisers - a broadside engagement between a BB and a CA results in a screwed CA if they don't angle and dodge, because a single AP salvo, as I mentioned above, will take 7-12k hp off a CA with just a few hits. For an equivalent number of hits, HE does a lot less damage, and will probably just knock out a turret or module and force the use of damage control. But firing AP, I've found, is a lot more efficient in killing battleships and cruisers. I can understand lighter ships firing HE at a BB if their main guns can't penetrate the BB armour. But anything above 20.3cm is going to be able to penetrate battleships, and in that case, firing AP is going to be a lot more damaging.

Is there an issue with burning ships in the current patch? I'd say so, yeah. There's a lot more instances of ships getting set on fire. Does this mean that firing HE is more effective than AP? I highly doubt it. In my opinion, it's a kneejerk reaction to the increased amount of fires we're seeing. I've played around 50 battles so far and I'm not fully convinced, from my own observations, that fire is the source of many kills since the patch that buffed it.

Edited by Syanda

Super Tester
2,725 posts

the fires are out of control atm. i planned to spend today grinding izumo. but i ended up logging off in disgust before.

Saw you in-game and you said "Fire isn't broken, man!!". kek :v

Sign in to follow this